Old 28-05-2019, 04:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Seed compost

I make my own potting compost, so that isn't a problem, but it is
far too full of weed seeds to use for a seed compost. I gave up
on soilless ones when they starting making them out of wood shavings,
because they didn't work, and have been using John Innes ones for a
good many years. They work much better for my purposes.

All I could get around here was Westland, so I tried that. Let's
ignore the details, and simply say that it has been a pretty fair
disaster, I analysed what it was composed of, and am not going to
use it again even in desperation.

I can get some Wyevale's within a reasonable distance of here, or
some Levington's at significantly more expense. Does anyone have
experience of Wyevale's John Innes seed compost?

I really don't want to sterilise my own, as I use 10 litres a year
or so, it makes the kitchen stink, and I don't have room to store
something to do it outside.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 28-05-2019, 06:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Chris Hogg wrote:

If it's anything like their ericaceous compost, I'd avoid it. Can't
you take your microwave into the garage and sterilise a batch or three
out there, just for an hour or two, to keep the smell out of the
house? (I actually quite like the smell of microwave-cooked compost!)

Thanks :-(

And, no. The plug is behind a large, over-filled fridge.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.