Old 11-06-2019, 09:01 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Making Greenhouses?

Later this year I will be helping son construct a new mist propagation
greenhouse, he is wanting to do it in wood with polycarbinate. I am
pretty sure the area he has ear marked and base built is non standard
size and shape hence his decision .
Many years ago I was able to buy glazing bars etc in stove coated
alluminium to recover my old victorian leantoo but I cant now find
anyone supplying lengths of alluminium glazing bar.

My feeling is if we can get hold of proper greenhouse mouldings it will
have a much longer useful life and require less upkeep than if we build
in wood.
Does any one know of a supplier?
--
Charlie Pridham
Gardening in Cornwall
Old 11-06-2019, 11:19 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Charlie Pridham wrote:

My feeling is if we can get hold of proper greenhouse mouldings it will
have a much longer useful life and require less upkeep than if we build
in wood.

Not necessarily. Well-made wooden structures will outlast UPVC or
most metals - inter alia, they are repairable if one part breaks, so
a single failure (combined with the original parts no longer being
available) doesn't mean demolition and rebuilding. It is essential
to use good-quality wood and, unless one of the extremely weather-
resistant woods, to paint it and maintain the paint.

Aluminiums vary, that I know, but I don't know which are durable and
which aren't. I have seen some that were completely rotten after a
couple of decades, even without exposure to salt spray, which you may
get. Steels, ditto, so GOOD galvanising or fancy stainless is needed
for a long life. And UPVC degrades with ultraviolet, at least.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 11-06-2019, 11:31 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 11/06/2019 09:36, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Tue, 11 Jun 2019 09:01:52 +0100, Charlie Pridham
wrote:

Later this year I will be helping son construct a new mist propagation
greenhouse, he is wanting to do it in wood with polycarbinate. I am
pretty sure the area he has ear marked and base built is non standard
size and shape hence his decision .
Many years ago I was able to buy glazing bars etc in stove coated
alluminium to recover my old victorian leantoo but I cant now find
anyone supplying lengths of alluminium glazing bar.

My feeling is if we can get hold of proper greenhouse mouldings it will
have a much longer useful life and require less upkeep than if we build
in wood.
Does any one know of a supplier?

Anything useful here?

https://www.glazingsystems.co.uk/sel...ms-click-here/

https://tinyurl.com/yxju9ply

or somewhere in this lot https://tinyurl.com/yxr25yqc although not all
are self-supporting

Yes I know about that sort of stuff and have used it to make my own
structures here but it is expensive. I may well have to go down that
route. What I was hoping was that someone would still be making the
standard alluminium glazing bars that we could glaze with glass, stove
coated looks good and lasts, that way I can make it to what ever size he
wants.

I know at this stage everyone is probably wondering why didn't he just
make the space the right size to fit a standard greenhouse, it would
have been cheaper and easier, probably down to bad parenting!

--
Charlie Pridham
Gardening in Cornwall
Old 11-06-2019, 11:36 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 11/06/2019 11:19, Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article ,
Charlie Pridham wrote:

[...]

The problem with wood is that these days the quality is lacking or it is
prohibitively expensive, but I think for a mist unit where it will be
permanently wet it simply will be hard to keep clean and rot free and my
O level wood working skills are way short of what would be required!

--
Charlie Pridham
Gardening in Cornwall
Old 11-06-2019, 12:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

Later this year I will be helping son construct a new mist propagation
greenhouse, he is wanting to do it in wood with polycarbinate. I am
pretty sure the area he has ear marked and base built is non standard
size and shape hence his decision .
Many years ago I was able to buy glazing bars etc in stove coated
alluminium to recover my old victorian leantoo but I cant now find
anyone supplying lengths of alluminium glazing bar.

My feeling is if we can get hold of proper greenhouse mouldings it will
have a much longer useful life and require less upkeep than if we build
in wood.
Does any one know of a supplier?

An odd shape is more difficult, but a non-standard rectangular size can be
worked around by buying an over-size greenhouse and modifying it to fit the
desired size.

Mark Rand

Old 11-06-2019, 12:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 11/06/19 09:01, Charlie Pridham wrote:
Later this year I will be helping son construct a new mist propagation
greenhouse, he is wanting to do it in wood with polycarbinate. I am
pretty sure the area he has ear marked and base built is non standard
size and shape hence his decision .
Many years ago I was able to buy glazing bars etc in stove coated
alluminium to recover my old victorian leantoo but I cant now find
anyone supplying lengths of alluminium glazing bar.

My feeling is if we can get hold of proper greenhouse mouldings it will
have a much longer useful life and require less upkeep than if we build
in wood.
Does any one know of a supplier?

Sorry, but I have my extra-thick head on today. What exactly is a "mist
propagation greenhouse"? I've heard of greenhouses, and mist-propagation
units which fit in them, but never a greenhouse intended for mist
propagation. Just how /long/ are the cuttings?!

Whatever, have you considered second-hand greenhouses? Yes, you've the
problem of dismantling and transport, but aluminium greenhouses can be
had pretty cheaply, even if you have to replace a good bit of the glass
(or polycarbonate). And it might be possible to get a few and adjust
them to fit your son's site when reassembled. Quite a few in Devon and
Cornwall (and elsewhere) he
https://www.newsnow.co.uk/classifieds/home-garden/free-greenhouse-glass.html

--

Jeff
Old 11-06-2019, 03:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Charlie Pridham wrote:

The problem with wood is that these days the quality is lacking or it is
prohibitively expensive, but I think for a mist unit where it will be
permanently wet it simply will be hard to keep clean and rot free and my
O level wood working skills are way short of what would be required!

Ah. A mist unit. That does make it less attractive, I agree. But
the problems I mentioned with the other materials remain. Durable
products are likely to be expensive, and you won't know if they are
until a decade down the line.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 11-06-2019, 09:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 11/06/2019 12:28, Jeff Layman wrote:

Whatever, have you considered second-hand greenhouses? Yes, you've the
problem of dismantling and transport, but aluminium greenhouses can be
had pretty cheaply, even if you have to replace a good bit of the glass
(or polycarbonate). And it might be possible to get a few and adjust
them to fit your son's site when reassembled. Quite a few in Devon and
Cornwall (and elsewhere) he
https://www.newsnow.co.uk/classifieds/home-garden/free-greenhouse-glass.html

Having had recent experience of dismantling and re-erecting an aluminum
greenhouse recently the main advice i would give is to discard all the
aluminum screws and nuts and the glazing clips. Replace them all with
new and you will save yourself hours of time. New fixings and clips will
only cost you £15 to £20 for a decent size greenhouse.

Old 12-06-2019, 10:15 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

[...]

Imagine a standard 8x14' greenhouse (just for example) put a 3' bench on
either side and mist nozzles every 3' up the centre of the benches, so
every time the mist fires water hits the glass and frame (as well as the
intended target - the cuttings) the only way to avoid this is to have a
much bigger greenhouse and have the bench up the middle with the paths
at the sides like the one at Hill House, unfortunately we dont have the
space or budget for that.

--
Charlie Pridham
Gardening in Cornwall
Old 12-06-2019, 10:18 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

Later this year I will be helping son construct a new mist propagation
greenhouse, he is wanting to do it in wood with polycarbinate. I am
pretty sure the area he has ear marked and base built is non standard
size and shape hence his decision .
Many years ago I was able to buy glazing bars etc in stove coated
alluminium to recover my old victorian leantoo but I cant now find
anyone supplying lengths of alluminium glazing bar.

My feeling is if we can get hold of proper greenhouse mouldings it will
have a much longer useful life and require less upkeep than if we build
in wood.
Does any one know of a supplier?

An odd shape is more difficult, but a non-standard rectangular size can be
worked around by buying an over-size greenhouse and modifying it to fit the
desired size.

Mark Rand

Yes I agree, and its probably the best solution, it would have course
have made my life easier if he had laid the thing out with that in mind
but as he has constructed the base walls in concrete blocks on their
sides I will have to work with the floor plan as is!

--
Charlie Pridham
Gardening in Cornwall

Old 12-06-2019, 10:20 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 11/06/2019 21:10, alan_m wrote:
On 11/06/2019 12:28, Jeff Layman wrote:

Whatever, have you considered second-hand greenhouses? Yes, you've the
problem of dismantling and transport, but aluminium greenhouses can be
had pretty cheaply, even if you have to replace a good bit of the
glass (or polycarbonate). And it might be possible to get a few and
adjust them to fit your son's site when reassembled. Quite a few in
Devon and Cornwall (and elsewhere) he
https://www.newsnow.co.uk/classifieds/home-garden/free-greenhouse-glass.html

Having had recent experience of dismantling and re-erecting an aluminum
greenhouse recently the main advice i would give is to discard all the
aluminum screws and nuts and the glazing clips. Replace them all with
new and you will save yourself hours of time. New fixings and clips will
only cost you £15 to £20 for a decent size greenhouse.

I have bags and and bags of brand new nuts bolts and clips (running
repairs to our existing 6 greenhouses), but its a valid point and saves
hours of grief!

--
Charlie Pridham
Gardening in Cornwall
Old 12-06-2019, 02:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

https://www.glazingsystems.co.uk/sel...g-bar-systems-

click-here/

https://tinyurl.com/yxju9ply

or somewhere in this lot https://tinyurl.com/yxr25yqc although not all
are self-supporting

Yes I know about that sort of stuff and have used it to make my own
structures here but it is expensive. I may well have to go down that
route. What I was hoping was that someone would still be making the
standard alluminium glazing bars that we could glaze with glass, stove
coated looks good and lasts, that way I can make it to what ever size he
wants.

I know at this stage everyone is probably wondering why didn't he just
make the space the right size to fit a standard greenhouse, it would
have been cheaper and easier, probably down to bad parenting!

You should, of course, price in changing the base against the additional
cost of building a non-standard greenhouse.

Knocking down a block base and then erecting to the standard size should
not be prohibitively expensive.

Also consider extending/contracting the base and living with the redundant
blocks which are now on the inside/outside and which might be repurposed
for containing beds or storage.

At the moment you are being inconvenienced because the base is non-
standard. That can be fixed.

Cheers

Dave R

---

[IBC] Panels for Greenhouses ?? Mark Hill Bonsai 5 12-03-2003 03:44 PM
Are double glazed greenhouses feasible ?? gray United Kingdom 6 08-02-2003 09:08 PM
Greenhouses Alison United Kingdom 0 06-02-2003 04:27 PM
Greenhouses CK United Kingdom 0 04-02-2003 08:53 AM
Greenhouses Julie Gardening 2 02-02-2003 06:34 PM