Old 14-06-2019, 06:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Callaloo

Amaranthus dubious, that is. Has anyone grown this? I am trying, but
it seems to be terribly slow growing. I am wondering if it is one of
the plants that likes heat, and doesn't grow significantly at lower
temperatures (e.g. below 20 Celsius).

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 15-06-2019, 05:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 15 Jun 2019 08:57, (Nick Maclaren) wrote:
In article ,
Bob Hobden wrote:
On 14 Jun 2019 17:55,
(Nick Maclaren) wrote:

Amaranthus dubious, that is. Has anyone grown this? I am trying, but
it seems to be terribly slow growing. I am wondering if it is one of
the plants that likes heat, and doesn't grow significantly at lower
temperatures (e.g. below 20 Celsius).

I am growing some at the moment. Given seeds of a red leaved plant by
the chaps in our Indian (actually Bangladeshi) restaurant I've managed
to identify it as an Amaranth. Germinated well in the heat of our
greenhouse but seems very slow growing, I've actually put the tray

back
into the greenhouse to try to get it going again.

Thanks. Mine is in our conservatory at present! I have grown the
common red-leaved amaranth (A. caudatus?) and did not like it at all.
A. blitum or A. viridis might do better.

They also gave me seeds of a bottle gourd and a snake gourd which I
know should do OK.

Really? I doubt that you will get them to ripen, but probably don't
want to.

I have no idea which Amaranth it is but this site has the same picture
on it
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Banglades...-/113689938415

We don't use them, the gourds will be given to the lads to use and no
doubt like last year they will send us a curry or two for our trouble.
They prefer them young, still big though, a bit like we use courgettes.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden
Old 15-06-2019, 07:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Bob Hobden wrote:

I have no idea which Amaranth it is but this site has the same picture
on it
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Banglades...-/113689938415

Thank you - something for NEXT year, Nick (slaps self on wrist).

We don't use them, the gourds will be given to the lads to use and no
doubt like last year they will send us a curry or two for our trouble.
They prefer them young, still big though, a bit like we use courgettes.

As was done before the others were imported from the New World.
Interesting. I grow Tromboncino d'Albenga for that.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 20-06-2019, 08:42 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Friday, 14 June 2019 18:55:07 UTC+1, Nick Maclaren wrote:
Amaranthus dubious, that is. Has anyone grown this? I am trying, but
it seems to be terribly slow growing. I am wondering if it is one of
the plants that likes heat, and doesn't grow significantly at lower
temperatures (e.g. below 20 Celsius).

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

I sowed some Polish red-leaved amaranth in late March. It did sit very quietly for some time. I planted it out under fleece in mid-May and it sat and sulked for another three weeks or so. But suddenly it looks very happy and has sprung up to about 9" tall. So it seems to be a slow starter which advances faster after about 10 weeks!
A bonus is that it doesn't seem to interest rabbits, birds or any other leaf-munchers.
Janet G