Old 19-06-2019, 01:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Lemon geranium much larger leaves this year

We managed to over winter a lemon geranium outside under cover.
Last year it had small leaves.
This year, for some reason, the leaves are much larger.
Any ideas why this might be?

Cheers

Dave R

---

Old 19-06-2019, 05:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 19 Jun 2019 13:30:50 +0100, Chris Hogg wrote:

On 19 Jun 2019 12:26:07 GMT, David wrote:

We managed to over winter a lemon geranium outside under cover.
Last year it had small leaves.
This year, for some reason, the leaves are much larger.
Any ideas why this might be?

Cheers

Dave R

Was it in a pot before, but is now in a flowerbed? If so, I'd suggest
that the roots have spread out into the soil and the plant is all the
better for it. Alternatively, perhaps you've re-potted it or fed it
recently.

It hasn't been repotted; it may have been fed.

I just thought that it was a small leaved version which had suddenly grown
larger leaves.

Cheers

Dave R

---

Old 22-06-2019, 09:36 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

David wrote:

It hasn't been repotted; it may have been fed.

That's one explanation.

I just thought that it was a small leaved version which had suddenly grown
larger leaves.

Possible if it's a small leaved cultivar which is an unstable mutation
and (part of) it has reverted.

Perhaps the most mundane explanation is that it's been hot in early
spring/summer and then warm and wet just as its current leaves have been
growing.

If it's healthy and you like it, I wouldn't worry about it.

Peter