Old 23-06-2019, 11:57 AM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

Default Transportable Shed Base

A pal has offered to build a wooden shed for our allotment.

At some time in the future the shed will most likely need to be moved to
a different plot. It seems a good and inexpensive floor for the shed
would be a Cement one. But we have to rule that out in terms of it
being difficult to move.

What might be a 'lowest' cost, but transportable floor for a wooden
shed please ?
Old 23-06-2019, 12:12 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 23 Jun 2019 11:57:04 +0100, john west
wrote:

What might be a 'lowest' cost, but transportable floor for a wooden
shed please ?

Phenolic coated formwork plywood on top of second hand railway sleepers will
get you as good a damp-resistant floor as you can get short of concrete.

Mark Rand
-
Rugby Warwickshire.
Old 23-06-2019, 12:30 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

In message , Mark Rand
writes
wrote:

What might be a 'lowest' cost, but transportable floor for a wooden
shed please ?

Phenolic coated formwork plywood on top of second hand railway sleepers will
get you as good a damp-resistant floor as you can get short of concrete.

My awful, but cheap, Australian metal shed is on a base made of level
soil, then a few plastic pallets, then a layer of plywood.
The pallets came off ebay from someone who advertised them as ideal for
a shed base, and they have been fine.
The ply base is slightly larger than the shed, which has no provision
for guttering, so water from the roof hits the ply and seeps into the
floor inside.

Must look at that when I can!
--
Bill
Old 23-06-2019, 12:42 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
john west wrote:

What might be a 'lowest' cost, but transportable floor for a wooden
shed please ?

Concrete floors are loathesome, for precisely that reason. There are
a zillion such objects from WWII and even WWI causing trouble over
the country.

I recommend cheap but solid paving slabs or engineering bricks (choose
whichever is cheaper per square yard), with timber bearers on top.
You don't need the expensive treatment for the latter that is intended
to make them last in soil, but do need at least some treatment. I did
that and my shed hasn't shifted in a fair number of decades.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 23-06-2019, 01:05 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

On 23/06/2019 11:57, john west wrote:

A pal has offered to build a wooden shed for our allotment.

At some time in the future the shed will most likely need to be moved to
a different plot. It seems a good and inexpensive floor for the shed
would be a Cement one.Â* But we have to rule that out in terms of it
being difficult to move.

What might be a 'lowest' cost,Â* but transportable floor for a wooden
shed please ?

Make the base strong enough so it can sit on, say, 6 off raised brick
pillars. Instead of brick pillars stack some paving slabs on top of one
another.

Old 23-06-2019, 01:22 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

On 23/06/2019 11:57, john west wrote:

A pal has offered to build a wooden shed for our allotment.

At some time in the future the shed will most likely need to be moved to
a different plot. It seems a good and inexpensive floor for the shed
would be a Cement one.Â* But we have to rule that out in terms of it
being difficult to move.

What might be a 'lowest' cost,Â* but transportable floor for a wooden
shed please ?

Decent base frame made of 4x2 if it's a small shed.

4 paving slabs set on the ground.

4 adjustable shed feet:

https://www.wallbarn.com/products/ro...imber-decking/

(Think they were the ones I used)

You even need to worry about getting the 4 slabs level with each other.

--
Email does not work
Old 23-06-2019, 01:52 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

john west explained :
A pal has offered to build a wooden shed for our allotment.

At some time in the future the shed will most likely need to be moved to a
different plot. It seems a good and inexpensive floor for the shed would be a
Cement one. But we have to rule that out in terms of it being difficult to
move.

What might be a 'lowest' cost, but transportable floor for a wooden shed
please ?

Wood will be fine, but ensure it is raised above the ground so air can
flow under it and well supported. Brick piers are fine for that, with
or without cement. My untreated wooden 12x8, installed 30 years ago,
was installed by me like that and it is absolutely fine.
Old 23-06-2019, 02:12 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

On 23/06/2019 11:57, john west wrote:

A pal has offered to build a wooden shed for our allotment.

At some time in the future the shed will most likely need to be moved to
a different plot. It seems a good and inexpensive floor for the shed
would be a Cement one.Â* But we have to rule that out in terms of it
being difficult to move.

What might be a 'lowest' cost,Â* but transportable floor for a wooden
shed please ?

paving slabs

--
“Some people like to travel by train because it combines the slowness of
a car with the cramped public exposure of

Dennis Miller

Old 24-06-2019, 10:47 AM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

john west wrote:

A pal has offered to build a wooden shed for our allotment.

At some time in the future the shed will most likely need to be moved to
a different plot. It seems a good and inexpensive floor for the shed
would be a Cement one. But we have to rule that out in terms of it
being difficult to move.

What might be a 'lowest' cost, but transportable floor for a wooden
shed please ?

You haven’t indicated how big this shed is but as it going to be moved it
cannot be too big unless you are using a crane.

We have a 10’ x6’ shed that has lived in two locations . Knowing it would
need to be moved I made a base of plastic pallets obtained secondhand
resting on level then compacted soil.
Being plastic they haven’t rotted like wooden ones would have done,
and added bonus is the construction of the particular design of plastic
pallet we got is a lot less open than wooden ones. That means the
apertures for the fork lift prongs and some other ones that just happen to
be there are useful areas to store long things like canes and other plant
supports etc which live in the dry but off the ground .

GH

Old 24-06-2019, 05:20 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

On 23/06/2019 11:57, john west wrote:

A pal has offered to build a wooden shed for our allotment.

At some time in the future the shed will most likely need to be moved to
a different plot. It seems a good and inexpensive floor for the shed
would be a Cement one.Â* But we have to rule that out in terms of it
being difficult to move.

What might be a 'lowest' cost,Â* but transportable floor for a wooden
shed please ?

Make a ladder base for the shed out of 3x2 (or similar) tanalised
timber. Cut some slabs into 4" wide strips and use the strips as upright
posts to attach the base to (i.e. dig holes and use postcrete to secure
the strips vertically). Bolt base to slab strips and screw shed to base.
When it's time to move the shed: unbolt the base from the concrete
strips and drag it to new location and use new slab strips. I did this a
while ago and it was very successful, cheap and does not require a
concrete slab. Also, it allows air under the shed and there is nothing
to rot.

Base for garden shed? Ed Gardening 45 09-08-2011 03:03 AM
Concrete Shed base questions Rob United Kingdom 8 28-08-2007 02:46 PM
Base for a shed. news.giganews.com United Kingdom 11 30-04-2005 08:38 PM
Shed Base Fredrick Skoog United Kingdom 2 17-05-2003 01:08 PM
Sealing the base of a garden shed. Barry Watts United Kingdom 1 07-04-2003 03:32 AM