Old 07-07-2019, 08:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Blackcurrants gone!

For the past 30 years I've grown lots of soft fruit. I net the red
currants - otherwise the birds get them - but I don't bother netting
blackcurrants and get plenty of berries (20-35 lbs).

This year everything was early, so the birds got the redcurrants before I
netted. I've been distracted this last week by have guests to stay, and I
go check the blackcurrents and there they were - gone! I picked what was
left - just over 1 lb. Usually I blame blackbirds, but there were many
quite large branches broken making me suspect wood pigeons.

Is that likely? The berries were not all ripe - I have a early & late
season varieties, but they were still gone. This has never happenned
before.

Could it be grey squirrels? Until now we haven't had them - but I've seen
a young pair around alot recently.

I'm near Wakefield. I'm a bit miffed. Other than a fruit cage and netting
is there anything that can be done to discourage.

Jim
p.s. I'm getting good amounts of raspberries, despite them not being
netted.

Blackcurrants graham United Kingdom 15 14-03-2007 10:36 PM
Blackcurrants with legs. Brian United Kingdom 19 25-10-2005 04:21 AM
Pesticides and blackcurrants Peter Robinson United Kingdom 11 16-05-2004 03:09 PM
Pruning blackcurrants - advice please? Lynda Thornton United Kingdom 14 29-07-2003 11:32 AM
Blackcurrants graham Gardening 2 25-07-2003 05:22 AM