GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Chillies? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/216260-chillies.html)

Charlie Pridham[_2_] 20-07-2019 09:08 AM

Chillies?

Growing these for the first time, I have flowers on bushes about 3' high
in a warm poly tunnel (they are in pots) they seem very happy and are
pest free but the flowers do not seem to be setting into fruit/chillies
any thoughts?
--
Charlie Pridham
Gardening in Cornwall

Nick Maclaren[_5_] 20-07-2019 09:40 AM

Chillies?

In article ,
Charlie Pridham wrote:
Growing these for the first time, I have flowers on bushes about 3' high
in a warm poly tunnel (they are in pots) they seem very happy and are
pest free but the flowers do not seem to be setting into fruit/chillies
any thoughts?

Try moving them outside. They can handle high humidity but don't
need it, and there will be more access to bees etc. I get mine going
in our conservatory, but they are outside now. However, that's just a
guess.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Mark Rand 20-07-2019 01:02 PM

Chillies?

On Sat, 20 Jul 2019 08:08:47 +0100, Charlie Pridham
wrote:

Growing these for the first time, I have flowers on bushes about 3' high
in a warm poly tunnel (they are in pots) they seem very happy and are
pest free but the flowers do not seem to be setting into fruit/chillies
any thoughts?

I generally hand pollinate them in the greenhouse because the bees aren't
always buzzing around it when needed. If you get pollen on a fingertip, the
flower and temperature conditions are probably right for pollination. If not,
then try later or earlier in the day.

Mark Rand
--
Rugby
Warwickshire.

Charlie Pridham[_2_] 20-07-2019 11:02 PM

Chillies?

wrote:

Growing these for the first time, I have flowers on bushes about 3' high
in a warm poly tunnel (they are in pots) they seem very happy and are
pest free but the flowers do not seem to be setting into fruit/chillies
any thoughts?

I generally hand pollinate them in the greenhouse because the bees aren't
always buzzing around it when needed. If you get pollen on a fingertip, the
flower and temperature conditions are probably right for pollination. If not,
then try later or earlier in the day.

Mark Rand

Thanks everyone, I can stand them outside, it has been getting very hot
and humid where they are and I haven't seem much insect life

--
Charlie Pridham
Gardening in Cornwall

Bob Hobden[_6_] 20-07-2019 11:54 PM

Chillies?

On 20 Jul 2019 07:40, (Nick Maclaren) wrote:
In article ,
Charlie Pridham wrote:
Growing these for the first time, I have flowers on bushes about 3'

high
in a warm poly tunnel (they are in pots) they seem very happy and are
pest free but the flowers do not seem to be setting into

fruit/chillies
any thoughts?

Try moving them outside. They can handle high humidity but don't
need it, and there will be more access to bees etc. I get mine going
in our conservatory, but they are outside now. However, that's just a
guess.

Totally agree with Nick. we grow our out on our allotment and
certainly have no problems with fruit set. In fact the problem is what
to do with them all.
--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Martin Brown[_2_] 21-07-2019 10:15 AM

Chillies?

Charlie Pridham wrote:
Growing these for the first time, I have flowers on bushes about 3'

high
in a warm poly tunnel (they are in pots) they seem very happy and are
pest free but the flowers do not seem to be setting into

fruit/chillies
any thoughts?

Try moving them outside. They can handle high humidity but don't
need it, and there will be more access to bees etc. I get mine going
in our conservatory, but they are outside now. However, that's just a
guess.

Totally agree with Nick. we grow our out on our allotment and
certainly have no problems with fruit set. In fact the problem is what
to do with them all.

+1 - a bit like with courgettes.

In fact one can be used to dilute the other + some pasta.

Mine are only just setting fruit now with their first flowers.

I still have plenty of dried chillis left from last years crop.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Dan S. MacAbre[_2_] 02-08-2019 11:43 AM

Chillies?

Charlie Pridham wrote:
Growing these for the first time, I have flowers on bushes about 3' high
in a warm poly tunnel (they are in pots) they seem very happy and are
pest free but the flowers do not seem to be setting into fruit/chillies
any thoughts?

Having read this, I decided to save some seeds (I buy chillies each week
for chili con carne), and try to germinate them on wet kitchen roll.
I'm amazed how quickly they've germinated. I now need to decide what to
do with them. I'm not expecting any fruit this year (I suppose it's a
strange time to try this, but it was just an experiment), but do I now
need to keep them indoors over Winter? Or does it depend upon how cold
it gets? Or are they annual?

Bob Hobden[_6_] 02-08-2019 12:38 PM

Chillies?

On 2 Aug 2019 10:43, "Dan S. MacAbre" wrote:
Charlie Pridham wrote:
Growing these for the first time, I have flowers on bushes about 3' high
in a warm poly tunnel (they are in pots) they seem very happy and are
pest free but the flowers do not seem to be setting into fruit/chillies
any thoughts?

Having read this, I decided to save some seeds (I buy chillies each week
for chili con carne), and try to germinate them on wet kitchen roll.
I'm amazed how quickly they've germinated. I now need to decide what to
do with them. I'm not expecting any fruit this year (I suppose it's a
strange time to try this, but it was just an experiment), but do I now
need to keep them indoors over Winter? Or does it depend upon how cold
it gets? Or are they annual?

Yes, they cannot take frost at all. Your problem over winter is light,
I've always been unable to keep plants over winter in a good
state despite having a heated greenhouse. Personally I would treat this
year as an experiment and plant again next spring.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Dan S. MacAbre[_2_] 02-08-2019 12:56 PM

Chillies?

Charlie Pridham wrote:
[...]

Okay, thanks. Since I get through a lot of these, I suppose it's time
to get more familiar with them.

Nick Maclaren[_5_] 02-08-2019 06:40 PM

Chillies?

In article , Dan S. MacAbre wrote:

Okay, thanks. Since I get through a lot of these, I suppose it's time
to get more familiar with them.

Sow them early, indoors, if you can. I germinate them on damp kitchen
roll in ramekins covered with cling film, and then pot them into 2"
pots, but you can sow directly. Then pot them up as you need them,
and put them out when it warms up properly. As Bob Hobden says, they
need good light and warmth - and good drainage, but they aren't fussy
about soil. If you use liquid fertiliser, use a tomato one.

Dan S. MacAbre[_2_] 02-08-2019 08:34 PM

Chillies?

Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article , Dan S. MacAbre wrote:

Okay, thanks. Since I get through a lot of these, I suppose it's time
to get more familiar with them.

Sow them early, indoors, if you can. I germinate them on damp kitchen
roll in ramekins covered with cling film, and then pot them into 2"
pots, but you can sow directly. Then pot them up as you need them,
and put them out when it warms up properly. As Bob Hobden says, they
need good light and warmth - and good drainage, but they aren't fussy
about soil. If you use liquid fertiliser, use a tomato one.

Thanks. Since they germinated in about a day, I think I'll just put
them directly next time. They didn't need much persuasion.

Mark Rand 02-08-2019 09:28 PM

Chillies?

On Fri, 2 Aug 2019 19:34:29 +0100, "Dan S. MacAbre" wrote:

Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article , Dan S. MacAbre wrote:

Okay, thanks. Since I get through a lot of these, I suppose it's time
to get more familiar with them.

Sow them early, indoors, if you can. I germinate them on damp kitchen
roll in ramekins covered with cling film, and then pot them into 2"
pots, but you can sow directly. Then pot them up as you need them,
and put them out when it warms up properly. As Bob Hobden says, they
need good light and warmth - and good drainage, but they aren't fussy
about soil. If you use liquid fertiliser, use a tomato one.

Thanks. Since they germinated in about a day, I think I'll just put
them directly next time. They didn't need much persuasion.

I'll chip in and say that chillies tend to be short-lived perennials. If you
cut down on the water as the evenings draw in, but don't let them go bone dry
and keep them at 5°C or above, they will often survive over winter. I recon on
loosing a third or so of the plants I do this with.

The following year prune lightly just as the very first signs of sprouting
occur, the survivors have got a four month lead over January sown seed and
will romp away.

Mark Rand
--

Rugby
Warwickshire

Charlie Pridham[_2_] 04-08-2019 04:43 PM

Chillies?

Charlie Pridham wrote:
[...]

My sister used to over winter hers as cut back stumps in a glass porch
but when I made inquiries says she didn't bother the next time because
although she got a good crop off the old plants it was no better or
earlier than new seed grown ones

--
Charlie Pridham
Gardening in Cornwall

Charlie Pridham[_2_] 04-08-2019 04:46 PM

Chillies?

On 20/07/2019 08:08, Charlie Pridham wrote:
Growing these for the first time, I have flowers on bushes about 3' high
in a warm poly tunnel (they are in pots) they seem very happy and are
pest free but the flowers do not seem to be setting into fruit/chillies
any thoughts?

Just following up to say that having moved the plants outside into a
cooler spot they have straight away started setting fruit, whether thats
down to the temperature or just more insects outside than in I don't know!

--
Charlie Pridham
Gardening in Cornwall