Old 10-08-2019, 04:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Red Amaranth

Chap from our Indian Restaurant (Bangladeshi) has just been down to
collect a large armful of the Red Amaranth we grew for them. Said they
all loved it last week, ate everything stems and all.
Also took some of the younger leaves off the gourds for a Bhaji (?).
Anyone heard of such leaves being eaten? (They have a strange smell)
--
Regards
Bob Hobden
Old 11-08-2019, 01:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Bob Hobden wrote:
Chap from our Indian Restaurant (Bangladeshi) has just been down to
collect a large armful of the Red Amaranth we grew for them. Said they
all loved it last week, ate everything stems and all.

I have tried it, and didn't like it. I am growing Callaloo (A. dubius),
which is much better, and am trying some Bangladeshi green amaranth
seeds - but sowed them very late, and they may not grow enough.

Also took some of the younger leaves off the gourds for a Bhaji (?).
Anyone heard of such leaves being eaten? (They have a strange smell)

Yes. I haven't eaten them myself, though you remind me that I have
meant to for some time.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Growing Amaranth George.com Edible Gardening 8 02-02-2011 06:07 PM
Giant amaranth pictures sunflower_info Garden Photos 0 19-12-2008 04:49 AM
Growing Amaranth George.com Gardening 8 05-05-2008 07:13 AM
red, red, red rose [email protected] Gardening 4 26-04-2005 03:16 PM
Indigestible Grass Seed - Amaranth Strange Creature Plant Science 5 04-02-2005 11:47 PM