Old 10-08-2019, 07:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Brown Turkey ripening

I can't remember if this is early or late but I do know we got two crops
last year for the first time ever.

I'm removing them just before they go very dark, and ripening them
indoors, on the principle that I want to get there before the blackbirds
and wasps.

Cheers

Dave R

---

Old 11-08-2019, 08:27 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 10/08/19 19:06, David wrote:
I can't remember if this is early or late but I do know we got two crops
last year for the first time ever.

I'm removing them just before they go very dark, and ripening them
indoors, on the principle that I want to get there before the blackbirds
and wasps.

You obviously have lot more success with Brown Turkey than we do. We've
had a couple of near-ripe fruits this last week, but considering they we
already a good size at the end of May, they are taking a long time to
ripen. A lot of small fruits appeared at the end of July, and are
swelling, but they will never ripen. The plant is in a large pot in a
very sheltered corner facing south-east.

Last year we had some decent-sized fruit on plant for months, but they
never ripened. I have been told that ripening success can be increased
considerably by pinching out the end of the branch which has the fruits.
Can anyone confirm this?

By the way, I've never seen a bird or a wasp on the fruits.

--

Jeff
Old 11-08-2019, 10:20 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 11 Aug 2019 08:27:26 +0100, Jeff Layman wrote:

On 10/08/19 19:06, David wrote:
[...]

I've had a squirrel. It took a bite out of every fruit
before deciding it didn't like it.
Old 11-08-2019, 04:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 11/08/2019 08:27, Jeff Layman wrote:
On 10/08/19 19:06, David wrote:
I can't remember if this is early or late but I do know we got two crops
last year for the first time ever.

I'm removing them just before they go very dark, and ripening them
indoors, on the principle that I want to get there before the blackbirds
and wasps.

You obviously haveĀ* lot more success with Brown Turkey than we do. We've
had a couple of near-ripe fruits this last week, but considering they we
already a good size at the end of May, they are taking a long time to
ripen. A lot of small fruits appeared at the end of July, and are
swelling, but they will never ripen. The plant is in a large pot in a
very sheltered corner facing south-east.

Last year we had some decent-sized fruit on plant for months, but they
never ripened. I have been told that ripening success can be increased
considerably by pinching out the end of the branch which has the fruits.
Can anyone confirm this?

By the way, I've never seen a bird or a wasp on the fruits.

Thats because they are not ripe!

Buy a fig bag and get it in the ground in front of a sunny wall , ours
normally start in September so like you we have had large hard green
fruits for some while but they always get there in the end. Our biggest
problem is finding the fruit as the trees are quite bushy!

--
Charlie Pridham
Gardening in Cornwall
Old 11-08-2019, 04:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 10/08/19 19:06, David wrote:
[...]

Whereabouts are you?

We are about as far south as you can get in Suffolk and near the sea.

The Brown Turkey is in an Alibaba pot and has fruited consistently for
about 20 years.

South facing garden and fed and watered regularly.

If we are slow off the mark we get fruits with obvious signs of attack -
lumps missing and what look like beak marks.

The blackbirds also eat ripe olives straight off the tree.

Cheers

Dave R

---

Old 16-08-2019, 01:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 10 Aug 2019 18:06:37 +0000, David wrote:

I can't remember if this is early or late but I do know we got two crops
last year for the first time ever.

I'm removing them just before they go very dark, and ripening them
indoors, on the principle that I want to get there before the blackbirds
and wasps.

Now picked 4 out of 8.

There is a second crop growing strongly, so perhaps a chance of a second
crop ripening if we get a mild September and early October.

I think I might thin out all the small fruit and leave just a few larger
ones.

Cheers

Dave R

---