Old 02-11-2019, 05:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Strawberries

Strange year, still picking my autumn fruiting raspberries and I've got
quite a good crop of strawberies on the plants. Sadly I doubt if they
will ripen, some are just getting pale ready to ripen. Anyway of
ripening them indoors?
Old 05-11-2019, 03:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 02/11/2019 16:23, Pwllgloyw wrote:
Strange year, still picking my autumn fruiting raspberries and I've got
quite a good crop of strawberies on the plants. Sadly I doubt if they
will ripen, some are just getting pale ready to ripen. Anyway of
ripening them indoors?

As far as I know you can't ripen strawberries indoors.

My wild strawberries are still fruiting and there are loads of flowers
on the plant.

The Antirrhinums are still in flower and the Honeysuckle is flowering again.

--
I'm a sew and sow!

Old 10-11-2019, 04:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The season has been fairly normal up here in the far north of Scotland, Pwll. My big problem this year was tree fruits.....late frosts killed off the flowers and as a result I've had very few fruits.

Old 10-11-2019, 04:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Compo in Caithness wrote:
The season has been fairly normal up here in the far north of Scotland,
Pwll. My big problem this year was tree fruits.....late frosts killed
off the flowers and as a result I've had very few fruits.

I had the same for my peach and damsons in Cambridge. But it has
been the worst year for carrots splitting that I can recall - yes,
they have grown well, but 3/4 are badly split, and are tedious to
prepare. And it has been beyond insanity with cabbage whites!

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 17-11-2019, 06:26 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 10/11/2019 15:56, Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article ,
Compo in Caithness wrote:
The season has been fairly normal up here in the far north of Scotland,
Pwll. My big problem this year was tree fruits.....late frosts killed
off the flowers and as a result I've had very few fruits.

In sunny SE Essex my cherry tree produced a mass of fruit BUT because of
the timing of a long dry spell followed by a short period of constant
rain the fruit swelled up and split before ripening. Once split the
mould/rot set in rather fast. The small number that did look ripe didn't
taste too good. Last year I had around half the number for fruit on the
tree and was able to pick over a three week period with the cherries
being nice and sweet.

Old 03-12-2019, 02:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 10/11/2019 15:48, Compo in Caithness wrote:
The season has been fairly normal up here in the far north of
Scotland, Pwll. My big problem this year was tree fruits.....late
frosts killed off the flowers and as a result I've had very few
fruits.

Strangely my Nashi pear which is usually tricky cropped well (it flowers
very early and needs a long season for the fruit to ripen). Every other
apple and pear tree round here barely set fruit at all even in nearby
semi commercial orchards. There must have been a frost at just the wrong
time or no insects about to pollinate the flowers or something. ISTR the
swallows and house martins were worryingly late arriving this year so no
pollinating insects seems like the most likely cause of the trouble.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 08-12-2019, 09:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Strawberries (Nashi Pear)

On Tue, 3 Dec 2019 13:51:40 +0000, Martin Brown

Strangely my Nashi pear which is usually tricky cropped well (it flowers
very early and needs a long season for the fruit to ripen).

Have this year inherited a Nashi Pear, (moved house) amazing fruit,
really cropped well, did not know when to start picking (thought it
was a russet apple) so when do yours ripen?

Moving Strawberries Lilac Edible Gardening 1 03-06-2003 06:44 PM
strawberries? H United Kingdom 6 21-02-2003 09:33 PM
Question about strawberries! Claude Gardening 5 06-02-2003 01:48 PM
Indian Strawberries again JLee United Kingdom 3 21-11-2002 03:33 PM
Strawberries? Dwayne United Kingdom 0 16-10-2002 03:27 PM