GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Hedge trimmers (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/216523-hedge-trimmers.html)

Vir Campestris 22-11-2019 10:00 PM

Hedge trimmers

The one I've got makes a really fast job of a light cut. But whenever it
meets something meaty it just stalls - which happens annoyingly enough,
especially during the winter cut back (I try not to trim much in summer
because of the birds nests)

I just borrowed another - and it's the same.

Both of them move their cutters really fast - then stall on anything big

Does anyone make one with a lower gear? I'd accept a couple of minutes
more on the hedge so I didn't have to keep stopping and getting the
secateurs out.

Must be battery.

Andy

Ian Jackson 22-11-2019 10:40 PM

Hedge trimmers

In message , Vir Campestris
writes
The one I've got makes a really fast job of a light cut. But whenever
it meets something meaty it just stalls - which happens annoyingly
enough, especially during the winter cut back (I try not to trim much
in summer because of the birds nests)

I just borrowed another - and it's the same.

Both of them move their cutters really fast - then stall on anything big

Does anyone make one with a lower gear? I'd accept a couple of minutes
more on the hedge so I didn't have to keep stopping and getting the
secateurs out.

Must be battery.

Andy

I've got one with a 'jog' function when it stalls - ie instead of just
stopping, it goes 'chunk-chunk-chunk'. It only has something like a 9"
blade - and while it's only meant for light trimming work, it does put
in a fair effort with the slightly tougher stuff. Can't remember what
make it is, but can find out in the morning.
--
Ian

Ian Jackson 23-11-2019 03:06 PM

Hedge trimmers

In message , Ian Jackson
writes
In message , Vir Campestris
writes
[...]

This is it (Bosch ASB 10,8LI)
http://tinyurl.com/sv739hn
I've had it a few years, and it came with only the one blade (a bit over
8").
--
Ian

Andy Burns[_7_] 23-11-2019 03:29 PM

Hedge trimmers

Vir Campestris wrote:

The one I've got makes a really fast job of a light cut. But whenever it
meets something meaty it just stalls

I have a makita which claims to cut a whisker under an inch, no doubt it
depends on the variety of wood, but it complains on hawthorn less than
that, but it does have a "reverse" function to untangle itself.

Martin Brown[_2_] 24-11-2019 09:41 AM

Hedge trimmers

On 22/11/2019 22:00, Vir Campestris wrote:
The one I've got makes a really fast job of a light cut. But whenever it
meets something meaty it just stalls - which happens annoyingly enough,
especially during the winter cut back (I try not to trim much in summer
because of the birds nests)

I just borrowed another - and it's the same.

Which ones have you tried? All the rubbish ones they sell in the DIY
sheds are pretty much rubbish and will only take on new growth without
stalling. I could typically burn one out in a season.

Both of them move their cutters really fast - then stall on anything big

Does anyone make one with a lower gear? I'd accept a couple of minutes
more on the hedge so I didn't have to keep stopping and getting the
secateurs out.

Bosch make decent hedge trimmers that do eventually wear out but will
cut 20mm stems provided you are able to handle it.

Must be battery.

Andy

That rules out almost any kind of workable option.

The only decent hedge trimmers that have enough power to get the job
done in a sensible amount of time are either petrol or main powered.
Battery ones are OK for a light summer trim but nothing more.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Andy Burns[_7_] 24-11-2019 10:23 AM

Hedge trimmers

Martin Brown wrote:

Vir Campestris wrote:

Bosch make decent hedge trimmers that do eventually wear out but will
cut 20mm stems provided you are able to handle it.

Must be battery.

That rules out almost any kind of workable option.

Are you au fait with modern 18V brushless tools and 5Ah batteries?

The makita trimmer I mentioned, spec says it will cut 24.5mm

Vir Campestris 24-11-2019 09:14 PM

Hedge trimmers

On 23/11/2019 15:06, Ian Jackson wrote:
I've got one with a 'jog' function when it stalls - ie instead of just
stopping, it goes 'chunk-chunk-chunk'. It only has something like a 9"
blade - and while it's only meant for light trimming work, it does put
in a fair effort with the slightly tougher stuff. Can't remember what
make it is, but can find out in the morning.

This is it (Bosch ASB 10,8LI)
http://tinyurl.com/sv739hn
I've had it a few years, and it came with only the one blade (a bit over
8").

The one I borrowed was a Bosch - a bit bigger than 9" though.

It has the jog function, and the part near the end of the blade is
designed to act as a saw. Which it doesn't do very well :(

Andy

Vir Campestris 24-11-2019 09:15 PM

Hedge trimmers

On 23/11/2019 15:29, Andy Burns wrote:
Vir Campestris wrote:

The one I've got makes a really fast job of a light cut. But whenever
it meets something meaty it just stalls

I have a makita which claims to cut a whisker under an inch, no doubt it
depends on the variety of wood, but it complains on hawthorn less than
that, but it does have a "reverse" function to untangle itself.

I'd prefer it not to accept anything it won't cut...

Will cross post this. See you over there ---

Andy

Martin Brown[_2_] 25-11-2019 05:42 PM

Hedge trimmers

On 24/11/2019 10:23, Andy Burns wrote:
Martin Brown wrote:

Vir Campestris wrote:

Bosch make decent hedge trimmers that do eventually wear out but will
cut 20mm stems provided you are able to handle it.

Must be battery.

That rules out almost any kind of workable option.

Are you au fait with modern 18V brushless tools and 5Ah batteries?

The makita trimmer I mentioned, spec says it will cut 24.5mm

For quarter of an hour at time. My hedge takes about 2 hours to cut. All
the battery powered hedge trimmers I have ever used were clumsy and
ineffective. At least with lithium batteries they will be a bit lighter
but a mains powered hedge trimmer is still my preference.

Battery technology has improved enormously but hedge cutting require
real grunt and that quickly ends up with hot batteries that die young.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Andy Burns[_7_] 25-11-2019 05:49 PM

Hedge trimmers

Martin Brown wrote:

My hedge takes about 2 hours to cut. All the battery powered hedge
trimmers I have ever used were clumsy and ineffective. At least with
lithium batteries they will be a bit lighter but a mains powered hedge
trimmer is still my preference.

Battery technology has improved enormously but hedge cutting require
real grunt and that quickly ends up with hot batteries that die young.

I haven't done a long session of hedge cutting yet, just some rough
hacking. However my brush-cutter will run for 2 hours on the same
batteries (a little shorter with the strimmer line head on it)