GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Raised Beds (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/216602-raised-beds.html)

Bob Hobden[_6_] 19-12-2019 01:59 PM

Raised Beds

I get the distinct feeling that there are a growing number of veg
growers that think raised beds are a must have. On GW and others it
seems Raised Beds are normal when, of course, they are not and only
need to be used for specific purposes. Who here uses raised beds and
why?

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Stewart Robert Hinsley 19-12-2019 05:37 PM

Raised Beds

On 19/12/2019 13:59, Bob Hobden wrote:
I get the distinct feeling that there are a growing number of veg
growers that think raised beds are a must have. On GW and others it
seems Raised Beds are normal when, of course, they are not and only
need to be used for specific purposes. Who here uses raised beds and
why?

I don't have raised beds with hard margins, but I've been raising the
level of the beds on my allotment to give a greater depth of topsoil,
and to improve drainage (raise the surface above the water table).

--
SRH

Bob Hobden[_6_] 19-12-2019 06:08 PM

Raised Beds

On 19 Dec 2019 17:37, Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:
On 19/12/2019 13:59, Bob Hobden wrote:
I get the distinct feeling that there are a growing number of veg
growers that think raised beds are a must have. On GW and others it
seems Raised Beds are normal when, of course, they are not and only
need to be used for specific purposes. Who here uses raised beds and
why?

I don't have raised beds with hard margins, but I've been raising the
level of the beds on my allotment to give a greater depth of topsoil,
and to improve drainage (raise the surface above the water table).

That's the sort of specific problem I alluded to and a good use of
them. I've seen a number of new allotment holders start of by making
raised beds when they are totally unnecessary, indeed wasting lots of
land with paths.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Nick Maclaren[_5_] 19-12-2019 06:49 PM

Raised Beds

In article ,
Bob Hobden wrote:
I get the distinct feeling that there are a growing number of veg
growers that think raised beds are a must have. On GW and others it
seems Raised Beds are normal when, of course, they are not and only
need to be used for specific purposes. Who here uses raised beds and
why?

I have one slightly raised bed, in which I am trying (without great
success) to grow tarragon and (rock) samphire. I have other things
which seem to grow better in pots than the ground - mint being the
most extreme and most puzzling. The soil is the same.

They are much touted by the 'no diggers', to avoid walking on the soil,
but I grow trailing squashes under a bean cage, and my arms are rather
them than the 2m long (each) I would need to do that :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Charlie Pridham[_2_] 24-12-2019 03:37 PM

Raised Beds

On 19/12/2019 13:59, Bob Hobden wrote:
I get the distinct feeling that there are a growing number of veg
growers that think raised beds are a must have. On GW and others it
seems Raised Beds are normal when, of course, they are not and only
need to be used for specific purposes. Who here uses raised beds and
why?

I have to use them, my natural soil has too much arsenic to make root
veg safe to eat

--
Charlie Pridham
Gardening in Cornwall

Jeff Layman[_2_] 24-12-2019 04:00 PM

Raised Beds

On 24/12/19 15:37, Charlie Pridham wrote:
On 19/12/2019 13:59, Bob Hobden wrote:
I get the distinct feeling that there are a growing number of veg
growers that think raised beds are a must have. On GW and others it
seems Raised Beds are normal when, of course, they are not and only
need to be used for specific purposes. Who here uses raised beds and
why?

I have to use them, my natural soil has too much arsenic to make root
veg safe to eat

That's not arsenic, Charlie, it's the garlic you keep forgetting to
harvest... :-)

--

Jeff