Old 25-12-2019, 05:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Roses bloominmg on Christmas Day?

Quite a few front gardens here have roses (which haven't been cut back)
blooming.
Many have multiple blooms.
I thought roses usually bloomed from Spring through to Autumn.

Then again the seasons are strange at the moment, nearly 10C and sunny
today.
Spring bulbs are also starting to show through, and a lot of evergreen
shrubs are also flowering.

Merry Whatever.

Dave R

Old 26-12-2019, 10:50 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 26/12/2019 09:30, Chris Hogg wrote:
On 25 Dec 2019 16:51:26 GMT, David wrote:

Quite a few front gardens here have roses (which haven't been cut back)
blooming.
Many have multiple blooms.
I thought roses usually bloomed from Spring through to Autumn.

Then again the seasons are strange at the moment, nearly 10C and sunny
today.
Spring bulbs are also starting to show through, and a lot of evergreen
shrubs are also flowering.

Merry Whatever.

Dave R

Surprisingly little in my West Cornwall garden. A few late-flowering
red Kaffir lilies (Schizostylis coccinea major), and one camellia (C.
Jap. High Hat, pale pink, been in flower since late October and will
go on until March/April. The textbooks say it's 'early', Feb-March,
but nothing about the previous October!).

I've noticed some Schizostylis flowering. I don't think that it's
unusual for the time of year.

My first snowdrop appeared a week or more back, but in general there's
not very much in flower. I thought that the lack of frost might have led
to more stuff hanging on, but possibily that's been counteracted by the
lack of sunshine and waterlogged ground.

Next door has a couple of flowers on a tall straggly white rose and
some evergreen azaleas in full flower, almost certainly R. simsii
vars., the tender 'indoor' azaleas popular in garden centres at this
time of year and that will survive the winter outside down here, but
apart from those, nothing.

Yes, the daffs are pushing up through the ground, and the Soleil
d'Or's (a highly perfumed tazetta narcissus at one time widely grown
down here for the spring flower trade) are in bud, but that's it I'm
afraid. Very little frost, just a couple of nights around 3°C and
certainly nothing below zero over the last few weeks. I think
everything's just struggling to stay afloat and not drown!

And a merry whatever and a prosperous thingy to you too!

Old 26-12-2019, 12:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

David wrote in news:h6hiceF4edrU3
@mid.individual.net:

Quite a few front gardens here have roses (which haven't been cut back)
blooming.
Many have multiple blooms.
I thought roses usually bloomed from Spring through to Autumn.

Then again the seasons are strange at the moment, nearly 10C and sunny
today.
Spring bulbs are also starting to show through, and a lot of evergreen
shrubs are also flowering.

Merry Whatever.

Dave R

I have a red rose 'My Dad' which flowers all year here on Tyneside. I
makes it difficult to find a time to prune.

--
Jim S
Old 26-12-2019, 12:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 25 Dec 2019 16:51:26 +0000, David wrote:

Quite a few front gardens here have roses (which haven't been cut back)
blooming.
Many have multiple blooms.
I thought roses usually bloomed from Spring through to Autumn.

Then again the seasons are strange at the moment, nearly 10C and sunny
today.
Spring bulbs are also starting to show through, and a lot of evergreen
shrubs are also flowering.

Zonal Perlagonia also seem to be still pushing out the occasional flower.

Somehow it doesn't really feel like Christmas/New Year.

Cheers

Dave R

Old 26-12-2019, 12:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 25/12/19 16:51, David wrote:
Quite a few front gardens here have roses (which haven't been cut back)
blooming.
Many have multiple blooms.
I thought roses usually bloomed from Spring through to Autumn.

Then again the seasons are strange at the moment, nearly 10C and sunny
today.
Spring bulbs are also starting to show through, and a lot of evergreen
shrubs are also flowering.

Merry Whatever.

"Britannia" has been in flower for ages, and it has more buds ready to
open, as has "Deep secret" and "Blue for you". The problem is that we've
had so much rain this month (170 mm, with 100 mm in the last week), that
the rose buds have become waterlogged and are rotting before they open,
even on relatively warm days. So far we've had another 10 mm today, and
it looks like it will be raining for some time.

Not a lot else in flower; even the Hesperantha has flowered and gone,
although the Mahonia is putting on a fine show. Probably the most
flowers are on Gazanias, which are pretty hardy here in south central
Hampshire, and one or two pelargoniums. Rather surprisingly we have a
couple of Calibrachoes in hanging pots which have been flowering for 6
months, and are still doing well. A few "florists" cyclamens I put in
about 6 weeks ago are flowering well in a shady, sheltered, spot, and
have survived several light frosts (down to -2 deg C)

There are quite a few bulbs up in various stages, including narcissus,
crocus, hyacinth, the odd tulip maybe, and a few snowdrops, but no
flowers yet.

--

Jeff

Old 27-12-2019, 12:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Chris Hogg wrote:

Surprisingly little in my West Cornwall garden. A few late-flowering
red Kaffir lilies (Schizostylis coccinea major), and one camellia (C.
Jap. High Hat, pale pink, been in flower since late October and will
go on until March/April. The textbooks say it's 'early', Feb-March,
but nothing about the previous October!).

Even less in my Cambridge one. Viburnum farreri, Jasminum nudiflorum
(both usual), but not even Chaenomeles x superba (which is surprising).

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.