Old 04-06-2020, 08:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default ALE PLANT

On Thu, 4 Jun 2020 10:10:29 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

On Saturday, 28 December 2019 01:05:22 UTC, wrote:
On Wednesday, July 5, 2000 at 8:00:00 AM UTC+1, Colin Heyburn wrote:
Dear Sir,

We are having considerable trouble locating or finding out anything about an
" ale plant." Suffice to say we are unsure as to the correct spelling of the
name but we know that it has a yellow flower that is kept in a jar and is
fed on brow sugar and water. It was used for centuries as a cure for
hangovers. I am reliably informed that the plant would grow in the jar. It
was also very common in Ireland hence why the good cure for hangovers. The
plant also cured the thirst in the summers.

If you have any ideas I would be very grateful if you could pass them on,
and if not, well thank you for your time.

Yours

Colin Heyburn

I can remember my Father growing an ale plant many years ago.
It was a mystery to us then as it is now!...Someone gave him the plant, and i can remember he put it in a large glass sweet jar, and he filled it with water, and i have no idea how it tasted, but it looked like ale! with brown unpleasant looking substance on the bottom of the jar.....we were always told to "never go near it for any reason"...So all i can say is, that it did exist, but i am afraid i can not solve the mystery.....By the way, i am from Northern Ireland so.,..

I can remember my aunt having ones the were little sponge like growths that you fed with sugar. I remember their destinctive taste. While they were active and feeding on the sugar they sat on top of the water then after the sugar had been absorbed they snk to the bottom that was when it ws ok to dring the processed water. I loved that drink.

Marie Shetland

Look up ginger beer plant!
--
Jim S
Old 05-06-2020, 12:53 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 04/06/2020 19:36, Jim S wrote:
Look up ginger beer plant!

Years since I last made ginger beer from a "plant" but I think I
probably still have the "starter recipe" somewhere.

Much as I loved it, probably not a good idea for the now-type-2-diabetic
me to start another one.

--
Jenny M Benson
Wrexham, UK
Old 05-06-2020, 01:48 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 04/06/2020 23:53, Jenny M Benson wrote:
On 04/06/2020 19:36, Jim S wrote:
Look up ginger beer plant!

Years since I last made ginger beer from a "plant" but I think I
probably still have the "starter recipe" somewhere.

Much as I loved it, probably not a good idea for the now-type-2-diabetic
me to start another one.

I remember someone intraducing one into the form I was in in boarding
school in the 50's, didn't last long before the masters found out about
it and it was conviscated.
Old 07-06-2020, 12:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Hi everybody I think I've found what we called Ale Plant on Google. I knew it wasn't powder like Gingerbeer yeast. It's called water Kefir Grains. It's a mixture of probiotic cultures. I'm going to get me some 😁😁😁
Old 07-06-2020, 02:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 7 Jun 2020 03:41:53 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

Hi everybody I think I've found what we called Ale Plant on Google. I knew it wasn't powder like Gingerbeer yeast. It's called water Kefir Grains. It's a mixture of probiotic cultures. I'm going to get me some ***

Be sure to report back.
--
Jim S