Old 22-01-2020, 02:40 PM posted to uk.sci.weather,uk.rec.gardening

Default First butterfly of the season!

Although there was a ground frost overnight. It is ridiculously warm in
North Yorkshire at the moment. Warm and sunny 10C at lunchtime here and
out on a short walk I saw my first butterfly, a Peacock, this year.

Flowers out today include species crocus, snowdrops, mahonia and winter
jasmine. A few pelargoniums are still in flower too but look rather sad.

Other things in flower out of season include kerria japonica, pink
valerian and white dead nettle. No daffodils out as yet but the flower
heads are well developed and starting to turn down. If it stays this
warm I am optimistic that some will be out before the months end.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 22-01-2020, 06:27 PM posted to uk.sci.weather,uk.rec.gardening

Martin Brown wrote:

Although there was a ground frost overnight. It is ridiculously warm
in North Yorkshire at the moment. Warm and sunny 10C at lunchtime
here and out on a short walk I saw my first butterfly, a Peacock,
this year.

Flowers out today include species crocus, snowdrops, mahonia and
winter jasmine. A few pelargoniums are still in flower too but look
rather sad.

Other things in flower out of season include kerria japonica, pink
valerian and white dead nettle. No daffodils out as yet but the
flower heads are well developed and starting to turn down. If it
stays this warm I am optimistic that some will be out before the
months end.

I saw a butterfly just outside Buxton today. I think it was a painted
lady but I'm not sure as I didn't see it close up.

--
Norman Lynagh
Tideswell, Derbyshire