Old 25-01-2020, 12:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Propagating rhubarb

I've just split a large crown of rhubarb, and put each piece with one or
two leaf growth points in pots.

But there was a large amount of broken roots left over. I've put these
in pots too, but despite searching on the internet can't find out
whether or not rhubarb root on its own will form new plants.

Anyone know if you can propagate rhubarb from root cuttings?

--

Jeff
Old 25-01-2020, 02:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 25 Jan 2020 12:59:38 +0000, Jeff Layman wrote:

I've just split a large crown of rhubarb, and put each piece with one or
two leaf growth points in pots.

But there was a large amount of broken roots left over. I've put these
in pots too, but despite searching on the internet can't find out
whether or not rhubarb root on its own will form new plants.

Anyone know if you can propagate rhubarb from root cuttings?

As someone whose family used to commercially grow and 'force' rhubarb the
answer is 'No' - you need to have a bud on the root and not just the old
root.
Old 25-01-2020, 02:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 25/01/2020 12:59, Jeff Layman wrote:
I've just split a large crown of rhubarb, and put each piece with one or
two leaf growth points in pots.

But there was a large amount of broken roots left over. I've put these
in pots too, but despite searching on the internet can't find out
whether or not rhubarb root on its own will form new plants.

Anyone know if you can propagate rhubarb from root cuttings?

I suspect any piece of root with enough reserves will grow on. I have
never tried to propagate it seriously since I can't give it away fast
enough as it is just splitting it with a spade whenever it gets too big.

I have the first forced rhubarb almost ready now.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 25-01-2020, 03:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 25/01/20 14:43, Bev wrote:
On Sat, 25 Jan 2020 12:59:38 +0000, Jeff Layman wrote:

Anyone know if you can propagate rhubarb from root cuttings?

As someone whose family used to commercially grow and 'force' rhubarb the
answer is 'No' - you need to have a bud on the root and not just the old
root.

Thanks. I'll empty the pots when (if...) I remember.

--

Jeff
Old 26-01-2020, 04:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 25/01/2020 14:45, Martin Brown wrote:
On 25/01/2020 12:59, Jeff Layman wrote:
I've just split a large crown of rhubarb, and put each piece with one
or two leaf growth points in pots.

But there was a large amount of broken roots left over. I've put these
in pots too, but despite searching on the internet can't find out
whether or not rhubarb root on its own will form new plants.

Anyone know if you can propagate rhubarb from root cuttings?

I suspect any piece of root with enough reserves will grow on. I have
never tried to propagate it seriously since I can't give it away fast
enough as it is just splitting it with a spade whenever it gets too big.

I have the first forced rhubarb almost ready now.

Sadly they wont root without an eye.

--
Charlie Pridham
Gardening in Cornwall