GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Lily of the Valley (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/216675-lily-valley.html)

Bob Hobden[_6_] 02-02-2020 03:33 PM

Lily of the Valley

Sounds like a silly question but I've just got some bare root plants
but do the roots go verticle into the ground or run just under the soil
horizontally.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Martin Brown[_2_] 02-02-2020 09:49 PM

Lily of the Valley

On 02/02/2020 15:33, Bob Hobden wrote:
Sounds like a silly question but I've just got some bare root plants
but do the roots go verticle into the ground or run just under the soil
horizontally.

If it is the ordinary sort then short of a mulch of brick and concrete
it will not make any difference how you plant them. The variegated form
is a little bit more tetchy but the normal form is borderline invasive.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

David Hill 03-02-2020 12:05 AM

Lily of the Valley

On 02/02/2020 21:49, Martin Brown wrote:
On 02/02/2020 15:33, Bob Hobden wrote:
Sounds like a silly question but I've just got some bare root plants
but do the roots go verticle into the ground or run just under the soil
horizontally.

If it is the ordinary sort then short of a mulch of brick and concrete
it will not make any difference how you plant them. The variegated form
is a little bit more tetchy but the normal form is borderline invasive.

For some I tried at least half a dozen times and never got more than A
year out of them, but a few miles awat there used to be a house where
they had removed the front wall so they could park on the front "Garden"
Despite the cars etc ot was just solid with "Valley".

Jeff Layman[_2_] 03-02-2020 08:36 AM

Lily of the Valley

On 03/02/20 00:05, David Hill wrote:
On 02/02/2020 21:49, Martin Brown wrote:
On 02/02/2020 15:33, Bob Hobden wrote:
Sounds like a silly question but I've just got some bare root plants
but do the roots go verticle into the ground or run just under the soil
horizontally.

If it is the ordinary sort then short of a mulch of brick and concrete
it will not make any difference how you plant them. The variegated form
is a little bit more tetchy but the normal form is borderline invasive.

For some I tried at least half a dozen times and never got more than A
year out of them, but a few miles awat there used to be a house where
they had removed the front wall so they could park on the front "Garden"
Despite the cars etc ot was just solid with "Valley".

Yes! I have always understood that it's an "all-or-nothing" plant, that
loves or hates you. If the latter, you'll never be able to establish it;
if the former, you'll never be able to get rid of it!

I've got "Vic Pawlowski's Gold", and it spreads well in a raised peaty bed.

--

Jeff

Bob Hobden[_6_] 03-02-2020 06:30 PM

Lily of the Valley

On 3 Feb 2020 08:42, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Mon, 3 Feb 2020 08:36:53 +0000, Jeff Layman
wrote:

[...]

I'd love to have it as a 'problem', but I'm struggling to establish it
in my heavy loam.

At my third attempt I planted some in deeper shade under my large tree
fern with other ferns and it's established. This new one is a pink
flowered variety (I expect orchid pink).
Also garden on heavy loam so there is hope.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Martin Brown[_2_] 04-02-2020 02:05 PM

Lily of the Valley

wrote:

On 03/02/20 00:05, David Hill wrote:

if the former, you'll never be able to get rid of it!

I've got "Vic Pawlowski's Gold", and it spreads well in a raised

peaty bed.

I'd love to have it as a 'problem', but I'm struggling to establish it
in my heavy loam.

At my third attempt I planted some in deeper shade under my large tree
fern with other ferns and it's established. This new one is a pink
flowered variety (I expect orchid pink).
Also garden on heavy loam so there is hope.

I'm on heavy clay and it seems to do OK here provided I don't put it
somewhere that waterlogs in winter or bakes in summer. Prefers quite
deep shade in summer so under deciduous trees works for me. Even the
golden form stays alive and expands slowly in the better spots.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown