Old 20-02-2020, 09:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Potting Camellia

Its time to put some of our purchased Camellias into larger plots.

Would mixing half my garden soil (which i'm told is fairly neutral) and
half ericaceous compost be about right as a mix?

Also i have access to some rotted down pine needles below a big pine
tree and i understand this is fairly acidic.

Would there be any advantage in using the pine needle compost over the
purchased ericaceous compost of might it be too strong?

Thanks for any advice.
Old 20-02-2020, 11:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 20/02/2020 20:37, john west wrote:
Its time to put some of our purchased Camellias into larger plots.

Would mixing half my garden soil (which i'm told is fairly neutral) and
half ericaceous compost be about right as a mix?

Also i have access to some rotted down pine needles below a big pine
tree and i understand this is fairly acidic.

Would there be any advantage in using the pine needle compost over the
purchased ericaceous compost of might it be too strong?

Thanks for any advice.

I have potted Camelias on using a mix of coarse sand pearlite and pure
peat. They did well.
Old 21-02-2020, 08:34 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 20/02/20 22:48, David Hill wrote:
On 20/02/2020 20:37, john west wrote:
Its time to put some of our purchased Camellias into larger plots.

Would mixing half my garden soil (which i'm told is fairly neutral) and
half ericaceous compost be about right as a mix?

Also i have access to some rotted down pine needles below a big pine
tree and i understand this is fairly acidic.

Would there be any advantage in using the pine needle compost over the
purchased ericaceous compost of might it be too strong?

Thanks for any advice.

I have potted Camelias on using a mix of coarse sand pearlite and pure
peat. They did well.

Where do the nutrients come from? Do you add liquid fertiliser now and
again?

FWIW, my camellias grow in slightly acid, heavy clay soil, which can be
waterlogged (particularly recently!). They all grow well and are in
flower now.

--

Jeff
Old 21-02-2020, 06:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 20 Feb 2020 20:37, john west wrote:
Its time to put some of our purchased Camellias into larger plots.

Would mixing half my garden soil (which i'm told is fairly neutral) and
half ericaceous compost be about right as a mix?

Also i have access to some rotted down pine needles below a big pine
tree and i understand this is fairly acidic.

Would there be any advantage in using the pine needle compost over the
purchased ericaceous compost of might it be too strong?

Thanks for any advice.

Not quite answering your question but our slightly clay/ silt soil is
neutral and we have a number of camellias planted outside and doing
very well. The oldest has been there for over 40 years. Just topdress
with compost and water in spring with sequestered iron if you feel the
need.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden