GardenBanter.co.uk

GardenBanter.co.uk (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/)
-   United Kingdom (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/)
-   -   Question about wood chips (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/216761-question-about-wood-chips.html)

[email protected] 11-03-2020 11:51 AM

Question about wood chips
 
I'm wondering whether it's OK to cover the ground of a large fruit cage
with wood chips that are partly from tanalised wood. A lot of googling
hasn't produced a clear answer, mainly because older discussions date
from when tanalisation used arsenic as one of the components.
What's the opinion of those here?

[email protected] 11-03-2020 02:14 PM

Question about wood chips
 
On 11/03/2020 11:51, wrote:
I'm wondering whether it's OK to cover the ground of a large fruit cage
with wood chips that are partly from tanalised wood. A lot of googling
hasn't produced a clear answer, mainly because older discussions date
from when tanalisation used arsenic as one of the components.
What's the opinion of those here?

A bit more info: the tanalising is Lonza Tanalith.
Active ingredients: 16.1% w/v (12.4% w/w) copper (Cu) present as a
cupric carbonate ethanolamine complex and 0.64% w/v (0.50% w/w)
tebuconazole.
pH 9.5 (5% w/v product solution)

Martin Brown[_2_] 11-03-2020 05:15 PM

Question about wood chips
 
On 11/03/2020 14:14, wrote:
On 11/03/2020 11:51,
wrote:
I'm wondering whether it's OK to cover the ground of a large fruit
cage with wood chips that are partly from tanalised wood. A lot of
googling hasn't produced a clear answer, mainly because older
discussions date from when tanalisation used arsenic as one of the
components.
What's the opinion of those here?

A bit more info: the tanalising is Lonza Tanalith.
Active ingredients: 16.1% w/v (12.4% w/w) copper (Cu) present as a
cupric carbonate ethanolamine complex and 0.64% w/v (0.50% w/w)
tebuconazole.
pH 9.5 (5% w/v product solution)


Personally I would not use that sort toxic tanalised wood chipping in an
area where I intended to grow food for human consumption. YMMV
Bark lasts a decent length of time.

I suggest you look up the product MSDS and make your own decision.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Charlie Pridham[_2_] 11-03-2020 06:19 PM

Question about wood chips
 
On 11/03/2020 14:14, wrote:
On 11/03/2020 11:51,
wrote:
I'm wondering whether it's OK to cover the ground of a large fruit
cage with wood chips that are partly from tanalised wood. A lot of
googling hasn't produced a clear answer, mainly because older
discussions date from when tanalisation used arsenic as one of the
components.
What's the opinion of those here?

A bit more info: the tanalising is Lonza Tanalith.
Active ingredients: 16.1% w/v (12.4% w/w) copper (Cu) present as a
cupric carbonate ethanolamine complex and 0.64% w/v (0.50% w/w)
tebuconazole.
pH 9.5 (5% w/v product solution)


Not a good idea, but you say partly? I guess if it was a small
percentage it may not be so bad but you would be worried about eating
the crop. I know because we have a fairly toxic arsenic layer in our
subsoil and don't grow root veg because of that, do grow stuff like
beans in raised beds.

--
Charlie Pridham
Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:59 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
GardenBanter