Old 14-03-2020, 01:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Sealing g/h twin-walled polycarbonate panes

I'm about to re-glaze an old, small inherited greenhouse. The existing
panes, such as they are, are glass Dutch lights; many are cracked or
broken. I have twin-walled polycarbonate lights to replace them with,
partly because they are less easily damaged, unlike glass, and partly
for insulation.

I need to seal the ends of the polycarbonate, to keep out moisture and
beasties. I have the recommended tape. But should I do both ends, or
the top end only, or the bottom end only?

--

Chris

Gardening in West Cornwall, very mild, sheltered
from the West, but open to the North and East.

Old 14-03-2020, 04:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 14/03/20 12:53, Chris Hogg wrote:
I'm about to re-glaze an old, small inherited greenhouse. The existing
panes, such as they are, are glass Dutch lights; many are cracked or
broken. I have twin-walled polycarbonate lights to replace them with,
partly because they are less easily damaged, unlike glass, and partly
for insulation.

I need to seal the ends of the polycarbonate, to keep out moisture and
beasties. I have the recommended tape. But should I do both ends, or
the top end only, or the bottom end only?

I would do both ends, maybe even using a little silicone to seal the
walls before applying the tape in a belt-and-braces approach.

About a dozen years ago I got a Norfolk greenhouse. I was pleased with
it, except the 4mm twin-wall polycarbonate roof got damp inside and grew
algae (IIRC sealing wasn't mentioned in the assembly notes at the time).
It didn't look very nice, but short of disassembling, washing with
bleach, and reassembling, I just put up with it. Basically, it seems to
me that any damp condensing into water which remains for some time will,
at some stage, act as a growth medium for algae.

--

Jeff
Old 16-03-2020, 02:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 14/03/2020 12:53, Chris Hogg wrote:
I'm about to re-glaze an old, small inherited greenhouse. The existing
panes, such as they are, are glass Dutch lights; many are cracked or
broken. I have twin-walled polycarbonate lights to replace them with,
partly because they are less easily damaged, unlike glass, and partly
for insulation.

I need to seal the ends of the polycarbonate, to keep out moisture and
beasties. I have the recommended tape. But should I do both ends, or
the top end only, or the bottom end only?

I would recommend doing both ends since otherwise you will be amazed at
the number of blue bottles that will crawl inside them to die!

One thing to watch with the opening lights is that you may need to add
ballast to them to ensure that they close again if they are on
thermostatic lifters. Also check the structural rigidity of the thing.
In winter I found it necessary to lock them down as the wind could all
too easily lift them and wreck the wax thermostat cylinder.

Glass doesn't bend and many cheaper greenhouses rely on that fact. The
extra flexure of the polycarbonate could be a problem in high winds.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 16-03-2020, 08:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 14 Mar 2020 12:53:01 +0000, Chris Hogg wrote:

Thanks both. I will seal both ends, and fortunately the G/H is in a
sheltered position and hasn't got automatic ventilators, so those
aspects won't be a problem.

Old 17-03-2020, 12:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 16/03/2020 19:09, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Sat, 14 Mar 2020 12:53:01 +0000, Chris Hogg wrote:

Thanks both. I will seal both ends, and fortunately the G/H is in a
sheltered position and hasn't got automatic ventilators, so those
aspects won't be a problem.

Just for clarity be sure to seal it with the filtered air exchange tape
that allows them to breathe or the interior will become damp and green.
If you try to hermetically seal it then water vapour gets trapped.

The other one is keep track of which side of each sheet is the UV
protected one or the odd one out will turn yellow and brittle more
quickly (more of an irritation than anything else).

--
Regards,
Martin Brown