Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1   Report Post  
Old 24-03-2020, 02:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Jan 2017
Posts: 138
Default Mail order seeds - quick turn round?

Part of the panic buying seems to have included selected seeds.
Mainly tomatoes and courgettes, apparently.
Brassicas not so much.

So I am contemplating mail order.
Has anyone ordered seeds recently and had a fast turn round?

Top of the list is a yellow courgette, and Burpless Tasty Green outdoor
cucumber.

Cheers


Dave R


--
AMD FX-6300 in GA-990X-Gaming SLI-CF running Windows 7 Pro x64

--
This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
https://www.avast.com/antivirus


  #2   Report Post  
Old 24-03-2020, 02:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Jan 2017
Posts: 138
Default Mail order seeds - quick turn round?

On Tue, 24 Mar 2020 13:11:06 +0000, David wrote:

Part of the panic buying seems to have included selected seeds.
Mainly tomatoes and courgettes, apparently.
Brassicas not so much.

So I am contemplating mail order.
Has anyone ordered seeds recently and had a fast turn round?

Top of the list is a yellow courgette, and Burpless Tasty Green outdoor
cucumber.



First attempt with D T Brown going on now.
They say they are under heavy load and the web site seems like treacle.

We shall see.

Recommendations still welcome, pretty please.


Cheers


Dave R


--
AMD FX-6300 in GA-990X-Gaming SLI-CF running Windows 7 Pro x64

--
This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
https://www.avast.com/antivirus

  #3   Report Post  
Old 24-03-2020, 05:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Aug 2014
Posts: 108
Default Mail order seeds - quick turn round?

On 24/03/2020 13:11, David wrote:
Part of the panic buying seems to have included selected seeds.
Mainly tomatoes and courgettes, apparently.
Brassicas not so much.

So I am contemplating mail order.
Has anyone ordered seeds recently and had a fast turn round?

Top of the list is a yellow courgette, and Burpless Tasty Green outdoor
cucumber.


I have 1 plant order and 2 for seeds. I've had automatic order
acknowledgments but after a week no indication that anything has been
shipped.


--
mailto : news {at} admac {dot} myzen {dot} co {dot} uk
  #4   Report Post  
Old 24-03-2020, 08:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Aug 2014
Posts: 108
Default Mail order seeds - quick turn round?

On 24/03/2020 16:28, alan_m wrote:
On 24/03/2020 13:11, David wrote:
Part of the panic buying seems to have included selected seeds.
Mainly tomatoes and courgettes, apparently.
Brassicas not so much.

So I am contemplating mail order.
Has anyone ordered seeds recently and had a fast turn round?

Top of the list is a yellow courgette, and Burpless Tasty Green outdoor
cucumber.


I have 1 plant order and 2 for seeds. I've had automatic order
acknowledgments but after a* week no indication that anything has been
shipped.



Update
Someone must have been reading my comment above. I've had 3 emails in
the past few hours all indicating that the orders have been dispatched.

--
mailto : news {at} admac {dot} myzen {dot} co {dot} uk
  #5   Report Post  
Old 26-03-2020, 09:53 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Jan 2017
Posts: 138
Default Mail order seeds - quick turn round?

On Tue, 24 Mar 2020 19:09:41 +0000, alan_m wrote:

On 24/03/2020 16:28, alan_m wrote:
On 24/03/2020 13:11, David wrote:
Part of the panic buying seems to have included selected seeds.
Mainly tomatoes and courgettes, apparently.
Brassicas not so much.

So I am contemplating mail order.
Has anyone ordered seeds recently and had a fast turn round?

Top of the list is a yellow courgette, and Burpless Tasty Green
outdoor cucumber.


I have 1 plant order and 2 for seeds. I've had automatic order
acknowledgments but after a* week no indication that anything has been
shipped.



Update Someone must have been reading my comment above. I've had 3
emails in the past few hours all indicating that the orders have been
dispatched.



Supplier?

Ta

Dave R


--
AMD FX-6300 in GA-990X-Gaming SLI-CF running Windows 7 Pro x64

--
This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
https://www.avast.com/antivirus



  #6   Report Post  
Old 26-03-2020, 01:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Aug 2014
Posts: 108
Default Mail order seeds - quick turn round?

On 26/03/2020 08:53, David wrote:
On Tue, 24 Mar 2020 19:09:41 +0000, alan_m wrote:

On 24/03/2020 16:28, alan_m wrote:
On 24/03/2020 13:11, David wrote:
Part of the panic buying seems to have included selected seeds.
Mainly tomatoes and courgettes, apparently.
Brassicas not so much.

So I am contemplating mail order.
Has anyone ordered seeds recently and had a fast turn round?

Top of the list is a yellow courgette, and Burpless Tasty Green
outdoor cucumber.


I have 1 plant order and 2 for seeds. I've had automatic order
acknowledgments but after a* week no indication that anything has been
shipped.



Update Someone must have been reading my comment above. I've had 3
emails in the past few hours all indicating that the orders have been
dispatched.



Supplier?


I used ebay for the seeds - which are claimed to have been posted but
haven't turned up yet. However I'm not sure that we are receiving any
post. Unless posting from home or perhaps a small family business I
doubt in these times that there is anyone at work to dispatch. A few
Ebay listings that I've seen now indicate that dispatch will only take
place after the government lift social isolation restrictions.

The plants were from David Austin (roses) and arrived in good condition,
well packed by courier the next day. Their on-line store is now closed
due to Covid-19.




--
mailto : news {at} admac {dot} myzen {dot} co {dot} uk
  #7   Report Post  
Old 26-03-2020, 05:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Nov 2013
Posts: 294
Default Mail order seeds - quick turn round?





--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk
"alan_m" wrote in message ...

On 26/03/2020 08:53, David wrote:
On Tue, 24 Mar 2020 19:09:41 +0000, alan_m wrote:

On 24/03/2020 16:28, alan_m wrote:
On 24/03/2020 13:11, David wrote:
Part of the panic buying seems to have included selected seeds.
Mainly tomatoes and courgettes, apparently.
Brassicas not so much.

So I am contemplating mail order.
Has anyone ordered seeds recently and had a fast turn round?

Top of the list is a yellow courgette, and Burpless Tasty Green
outdoor cucumber.


I have 1 plant order and 2 for seeds. I've had automatic order
acknowledgments but after a week no indication that anything has been
shipped.



Update Someone must have been reading my comment above. I've had 3
emails in the past few hours all indicating that the orders have been
dispatched.



Supplier?


I used ebay for the seeds - which are claimed to have been posted but
haven't turned up yet. However I'm not sure that we are receiving any
post. Unless posting from home or perhaps a small family business I
doubt in these times that there is anyone at work to dispatch. A few
Ebay listings that I've seen now indicate that dispatch will only take
place after the government lift social isolation restrictions.

The plants were from David Austin (roses) and arrived in good condition,
well packed by courier the next day. Their on-line store is now closed
due to Covid-19.

mailto : news {at} admac {dot} myzen {dot} co {dot} uk

====

We have ordered a few things through Amazon (not seeds) but nothing has
arrived at all!!



  #8   Report Post  
Old 26-03-2020, 05:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Jun 2016
Posts: 41
Default Mail order seeds - quick turn round?

Ophelia wrote:

I used ebay for the seeds - which are claimed to have been posted but
haven't turned up yet. However I'm not sure that we are receiving any
post. Unless posting from home or perhaps a small family business I
doubt in these times that there is anyone at work to dispatch. A few
Ebay listings that I've seen now indicate that dispatch will only take
place after the government lift social isolation restrictions.

Lots of big suppliers have been sending me E-Mails emphasising that
they are still operating and sending stuff out.

Also I just ordered some seeds from Kings Seeds and they say they are
still operating but with a few days more delay than usual.

--
Chris Green
·
  #9   Report Post  
Old 26-03-2020, 07:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Aug 2014
Posts: 108
Default Mail order seeds - quick turn round?

On 26/03/2020 16:25, Chris Green wrote:
Ophelia wrote:

I used ebay for the seeds - which are claimed to have been posted but
haven't turned up yet. However I'm not sure that we are receiving any
post. Unless posting from home or perhaps a small family business I
doubt in these times that there is anyone at work to dispatch. A few
Ebay listings that I've seen now indicate that dispatch will only take
place after the government lift social isolation restrictions.

Lots of big suppliers have been sending me E-Mails emphasising that
they are still operating and sending stuff out.

Also I just ordered some seeds from Kings Seeds and they say they are
still operating but with a few days more delay than usual.


They are reliant on courier companies who may have problems with social
isolation at delivery hubs. Probably seeds can be sent royal mail but
also reliant on staff turning up.

The courier who delivered my parcel yesterday said he was only on the
deliveries as little was coming through from the other hubs. He said he
used to work nights sorting out hub to hub routing but most of that work
has dried up.

I would be very reluctant to now order live (plug) plants.

--
mailto : news {at} admac {dot} myzen {dot} co {dot} uk
  #10   Report Post  
Old 26-03-2020, 08:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Aug 2014
Posts: 108
Default Mail order seeds - quick turn round?

On 26/03/2020 16:25, Chris Green wrote:

Also I just ordered some seeds from Kings Seeds and they say they are
still operating but with a few days more delay than usual.


Their latest update suggests delay in dispatching of at least 5 to 7
_working_ days.

--
mailto : news {at} admac {dot} myzen {dot} co {dot} uk


Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
brief history of mail order seeds in the United States Bill who putters Edible Gardening 0 13-01-2011 02:14 PM
Quick question on Round Up GaryM Gardening 15 05-08-2003 05:22 PM
quick question needing quick answer: what lighting? Jason Marr Freshwater Aquaria Plants 1 20-04-2003 07:22 AM
quick question needing quick answer: what lighting? Christopher Freshwater Aquaria Plants 0 08-02-2003 09:27 PM
quick question needing quick answer: what lighting? Jason Marr Freshwater Aquaria Plants 1 08-02-2003 09:27 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:11 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2020 GardenBanter.co.uk.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about Gardening"

 

Copyright © 2017