Old 29-03-2020, 07:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Killing algae

We have sixteen large seats and tables around our bowling green and most of
them get their fair share of algae during the close season. I have used
white vinegar, which was recommended on Google, but it is not effective. My
most successful method is washing up liquid in hot water and applied quite
vigorously with one of those slim green scouring pads. The more I soak it
the better the result although much elbow grease is needed. Has anyone
found the answer to this problem?

Old 29-03-2020, 07:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Emrys Davies wrote:

We have sixteen large seats and tables

What are they made of?
Old 29-03-2020, 07:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
Emrys Davies wrote:

We have sixteen large seats and tables

What are they made of?

I am not sure. Softwood I think.

Old 29-03-2020, 08:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Emrys Davies wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

Emrys Davies wrote:

We have sixteen large seats and tables

What are they made of?

I am not sure.Â* Softwood I think.

Jeyes fluid, you'll presumably have weeks for the smell to wear off?

spray-on decking cleaner?

Light pressure washing?
Old 29-03-2020, 08:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 29/03/2020 19:19, Emrys Davies wrote:
We have sixteen large seats and tables around our bowling green and most
of them get their fair share of algae during the close season.Â* I have
used white vinegar, which was recommended on Google, but it is not
effective.Â* My most successful method is washing up liquid in hot water
and applied quite vigorously with one of those slim green scouring
pads.Â* The more I soak it the better the result although much elbow
grease is needed.Â* Has anyone found the answer to this problem?

BAC 50 (about £20 to £25 for 5L) diluted 10 to 20 parts of water to 1
part BAC 50. Use a garden sprayer, leave to dry for a few days for the
algae to die off and change colour. Then just clean off with a stiff
brush or pressure washer.

Random Ebay listing
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Benzalkon...T3eO 37DcelBg

I've used it to remove algae from a plastic conservatory type roof where
after two days it rained hard and did the final clearing work.
I've also used it to kill moss on my concrete tiled roof but in this
instance the dead moss had to be removed by gently brushing it with a
stiff broom. If the surface of what you are treating is porous traces of
the BAC 50 remain preventing further growth of algae for a few yaers

Old 29-03-2020, 08:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 29/03/2020 20:38, alan_m wrote:

Random Ebay listing
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Benzalkon...T3eO 37DcelBg

In January I paid £24.29 for 5 Litre (including postage) however the
same supplier is now charging nearly £30 for 1 lire !!!
Possibly not the time for some products that can be used for other purposes.

Old 29-03-2020, 09:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 29 Mar 2020 20:52:03 +0100, alan_m wrote:

On 29/03/2020 20:38, alan_m wrote:

Random Ebay listing
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Benzalkon...T3eO 37DcelBg

In January I paid £24.29 for 5 Litre (including postage) however the
same supplier is now charging nearly £30 for 1 lire !!!
Possibly not the time for some products that can be used for other purposes.

Report price gouging on eBay
https://preview.tinyurl.com/vo28txx