Old 31-03-2020, 10:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Path edging

I am looking to edge a footpath bordering on soil. all the ones I can
find seem to rely on spikes going into the ground, sadly this is not
possible in my case. any ideas please?
Old 31-03-2020, 11:09 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 31/03/2020 10:46, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Tue, 31 Mar 2020 10:03:59 +0100, Broadback
wrote:

I am looking to edge a footpath bordering on soil. all the ones I can
find seem to rely on spikes going into the ground, sadly this is not
possible in my case. any ideas please?

Not an immediate answer to your query, but why no spikes? I ask,
because the explanation might preclude a number of alternatives. Any
edging has to be fixed somehow, whether by spikes or being set down
into the soil, such as bricks, slates etc.

Years ago I used feather-edge fence board for edging between a lawn
and flowerbeds, this sort of thing
https://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-Feat...m/p/9000033754

Made a slot along the boundary between lawn and flowerbed, using a
half-moon edging tool (a spade would do), then whacked in lengths of
the above, narrow edge down, with a rubber hammer. Although you can
bend them slightly to go round gentle curves, I cut shorter lengths
for sharper curves, down to about 30cm. They lasted about fifteen
years before rotting away.

Another possibility is plastic lawn edging, set into the soil much
like the feather board above. https://tinyurl.com/ramdoo6 or
https://www.homebase.co.uk/our-range...ic-lawn-edging
I have tried it, but when I mow the lawn I like to finish the edges
with a strimmer, quicker than going all the way round with shears, and
the plastic edging doesn't like it, whereas the wooden stuff takes it
OK, IME.

Thank for your reply Chris. The reason is that there is concrete at the
edge of the path, so impossible to insert spikes. I am now of an age
where physical work is very difficult, so removing the concrete is not
practical.
Old 31-03-2020, 11:27 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

My solution were 4x1 tannalised timber with the odd stake to anchor the
middle and ends. It gradually decays over a period of about 20 years.
Some needs redoing right now. Its a convenient choice since I keep some
of this material on hand for repairs to the fences.

I have tried it, but when I mow the lawn I like to finish the edges
with a strimmer, quicker than going all the way round with shears, and
the plastic edging doesn't like it, whereas the wooden stuff takes it
OK, IME.

Thank for your reply Chris. The reason is that there is concrete at the
edge of the path, so impossible to insert spikes. I am now of an age
where physical work is very difficult, so removing the concrete is not
practical.

There are basically two options then. Get a man in to do the work or
extend the path widthwise with gravel over the concrete foundations
until you have soil underneath. You could perhaps use a bed of mortar
and attach edging to that but it would also be a lot of hard work.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 31-03-2020, 11:36 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Broadback wrote:

I am looking to edge a footpath bordering on soil. all the ones I can
find seem to rely on spikes going into the ground, sadly this is not
possible in my case.

The reason is that there is concrete at the
edge of the path, so impossible to insert spikes.

Could you use construction adhesive to stick the edging to the concrete?

e.g. https://www.ct1.com/our-products/ct1

Path Edging Bob Hobden Edible Gardening 0 13-02-2009 06:20 PM
Path Edging Bob Hobden United Kingdom 0 13-02-2009 06:20 PM
Path Edging Ed Edible Gardening 5 11-02-2009 10:12 PM
Path Edging Ed United Kingdom 5 11-02-2009 10:12 PM
Edging a path Broadback United Kingdom 11 08-06-2007 09:21 AM