GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Can Anyone ID This Mystery Pot Plant? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/21682-can-anyone-id-mystery-pot-plant.html)

Neil Trotter 10-05-2003 05:20 PM

Can Anyone ID This Mystery Pot Plant?

It can't be that rare, but they don't seem to have them in any of the
nurseries around here. Inherited without a label, I wonder if anyone
would like to identify this beast for me:

http://www.nook.demon.co.uk/pics/odds/Geraldine.jpg

I know it needs a little support there ... don't worry, I plan to re-pot
it this evening :-)

Thanks for taking a look,

--Neil (famous pot-plant ignoramus).

--
Neil Trotter, Canewdon, UK
Edit email address to reply

Mike 10-05-2003 05:32 PM

Can Anyone ID This Mystery Pot Plant?

In article , Neil Trotter
writes
It can't be that rare, but they don't seem to have them in any of the
nurseries around here. Inherited without a label, I wonder if anyone
would like to identify this beast for me:

http://www.nook.demon.co.uk/pics/odds/Geraldine.jpg

I know it needs a little support there ... don't worry, I plan to re-pot
it this evening :-)

Thanks for taking a look,

--Neil (famous pot-plant ignoramus).

You know when you drive along a road and see a sign 'Heavy Plant
Crossing' ?

Well you have one!!!

If you are old enough, it is rather like a song from years ago about a
man who was walking along a beach and found a box and when he opened it
up he found a '''''''''''' and never did get rid of it :-(( Everyone
said 'Get out of here with your ''''''''''' and don't come back :-((

Mike
Forthcoming reunions. H.M.S.Collingwood Association Chatham May 30th - June 2nd
British Pacific Fleet Hayling Island Sept 5th - 8th
Castle Class Corvettes Assn. Isle of Wight. Oct 3rd - 6th.
R.N. Trafalgar Weekend Leamington Spa. Oct 10th - 13th. Plus many more

IntarsiaCo 10-05-2003 05:32 PM

Can Anyone ID This Mystery Pot Plant?

identify this beast

Possibly a rhizomatous begonia.

Kay Easton 10-05-2003 06:08 PM

Can Anyone ID This Mystery Pot Plant?

In article , Neil Trotter
writes
It can't be that rare, but they don't seem to have them in any of the
nurseries around here. Inherited without a label, I wonder if anyone
would like to identify this beast for me:

http://www.nook.demon.co.uk/pics/odds/Geraldine.jpg

It's a begonia, though I'm not sure which species. Sutherlandii has
spots, but smaller and narrower leaves.

I know it needs a little support there

No it doesn't! It likes to droop!

... don't worry, I plan to re-pot
it this evening :-)

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:

Serena Blanchflower 10-05-2003 07:56 PM

Can Anyone ID This Mystery Pot Plant?

On Sat, 10 May 2003 17:28:08 +0100, Mike
wrote:

You know when you drive along a road and see a sign 'Heavy Plant
Crossing' ?

Well you have one!!!

Judging by the size of the leaves, I suspect that Geraldine may be a
Begonia Lucerna, in which case she will get a lot heavier! Mine is
currently around 5' tall, so be warned...

--
Serena

Sometimes I sits and thinks ... and sometimes I just sits. (Punch cartoon)

Neil Trotter 10-05-2003 09:56 PM

In article , Kay Easton said:

It's a begonia, though I'm not sure which species. Sutherlandii has
spots, but smaller and narrower leaves.

Thanks for that, Kay, and thanks also to IntarsiaCo & Serena, for giving
me a Clue. It's nice to know where to come when you need one. Now I
know what to ask search engines to find further info ...

I know it needs a little support there

No it doesn't! It likes to droop!

.... and that's the second thing I've learned about it! Now that it's in
a slightly bigger pot, it's C of G is at least somewhere over the ledge
it lives on.

--Neil.

--
Neil Trotter, Canewdon, UK
Adjust address if replying by email

Rick McGreal 14-05-2003 07:20 PM

Can Anyone ID This Mystery Pot Plant?

Neil Trotter wrote in
:

It can't be that rare, but they don't seem to have them in any of the
nurseries around here. Inherited without a label, I wonder if anyone
would like to identify this beast for me:
http://www.nook.demon.co.uk/pics/odds/Geraldine.jpg

Its a Begonia...
Not sure which type....
It could be a Begonia Maculata (red undersides?)
Or possibly a Begonia Lucerna....AKA B. Corallina de Lucerna

I know it needs a little support there ... don't worry, I plan to re-pot
it this evening :-)

Dn't worry about that.....It tends to like to droop....
Although you could put a mosspole in the new pot and trail it up it....
It will look nice....And you can trail it a little if you wanted..

Thanks for taking a look,

no probs