Old 17-04-2020, 09:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default The curse of weed control membrane

We didn't even realise it was there until recently. My guess is that
someone thought it would be a great idea to put down weed control
membrane covered with a few inches of bark mulch.

Fast forward a few years, and the weed control membrane is covered in a
few inches of humus rich soil. And the shrubs planted in it have spotted
this nutrient rich later, then sent roots over the top of the membrane
as well as underneath; in places they have found or made holes and the
roots go through the membrane.

I've been unable to tease away the membrane from the roots of the
shrubs, and don't dare disturb the perennial plants that could be in
holes in the membrane - or just rooted on top.

Ah well, it's been great exercise. About 1sq metre per hour.

Andy
Old 17-04-2020, 10:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 17/04/20 21:54, Vir Campestris wrote:
We didn't even realise it was there until recently. My guess is that
someone thought it would be a great idea to put down weed control
membrane covered with a few inches of bark mulch.

Fast forward a few years, and the weed control membrane is covered in a
few inches of humus rich soil. And the shrubs planted in it have spotted
this nutrient rich later, then sent roots over the top of the membrane
as well as underneath; in places they have found or made holes and the
roots go through the membrane.

I've been unable to tease away the membrane from the roots of the
shrubs, and don't dare disturb the perennial plants that could be in
holes in the membrane - or just rooted on top.

Ah well, it's been great exercise. About 1sq metre per hour.

Andy

Here it's even worse. There are three borders, each about 10 x 1 metres,
with weedproof membrane covered with a 5 cm layer of 20 - 40mm pebbles.
Many of the pebbles are now interspersed with soil from rotted leaves. I
have planted shrubs in it by removing a 30cm square of pebbles, cutting
both diagonals through the now-exposed membrane, folding back, digging
out whatever depth is required for the shrub, then planting it,
replacing the membrane, and covering with the pebbles. It takes quite a
time.

The biggest problem is the Spanish bluebells which get beneath the
membrane and take ages to dig out. It took over 5 years to clear them,
and yesterday I discovered another half dozen! I will triple-spray them
with glyphosate over a week before attempting removal in a month.

--

Jeff
Old 18-04-2020, 10:54 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Jeff Layman wrote:

The biggest problem is the Spanish bluebells which get beneath the
membrane and take ages to dig out. It took over 5 years to clear them,
and yesterday I discovered another half dozen! I will triple-spray them
with glyphosate over a week before attempting removal in a month.

In my experience, the glyphosate is a waste of time. They need to
be dug out when in leaf, so you can find them.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 18-04-2020, 11:40 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 18/04/20 10:54, Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article ,
Jeff Layman wrote:

The biggest problem is the Spanish bluebells which get beneath the
membrane and take ages to dig out. It took over 5 years to clear them,
and yesterday I discovered another half dozen! I will triple-spray them
with glyphosate over a week before attempting removal in a month.

In my experience, the glyphosate is a waste of time. They need to
be dug out when in leaf, so you can find them.

I'm trying super-concentrated glyphosate. I'm hoping it'll weaken the
plant enough so that the inevitable bulblets which get left will have a
difficult start when they start growing. There's no trouble finding
them - I know where they are as they are in flower. I'll get rid of the
flower stalk once the flowers have died down, and before they can set
seed. Other than that, I agree, they have to be dug out. Why are they
always growing next to a special plant? :-(

--

Jeff

weed suppresant membrane ttg Gardening 3 20-03-2010 01:16 AM
Weed suppressant membrane Paul Bendall United Kingdom 5 12-11-2008 05:53 AM
weed membrane is it ok to use plastic sheet instead gavj Gardening 5 11-06-2007 02:26 PM
Carpet v Weed Membrane Mr Big United Kingdom 8 01-07-2006 02:44 PM
Is capitalism's efficiency a curse? Don Quijote sci.agriculture 1 17-09-2003 02:44 AM