Old 19-04-2020, 09:27 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Speedwell in the lawn

Hi

For the last few years we've had [what I have identified as] speedwell
in our lawn. I annually treat the lawn with "Weed and Feed", which
seems to deal with the usual weeds (buttercups, dandelions etc) but the
speedwell seems to shrug this off, and it has got worse and worse every
year.
In the last six weeks uI've treated the lawn three times .. the
speedwell has slight burning arond the edges of the leaves, but the
plants themselves seem to be burgeoning.

Any other recommendations for dealing with this?

The weed and feed that I've been using is called Vitax Lawn Clear,
active ingredients appear to be Phosphorous pentoxide and Postassium
oxide (could be wrong about that since I am not a chemist, but they are
the only dodgy looking things listed).

Supplementary question: this group used to be very busy with gardeners,
and now we are reduced to what appears to be about a dozen ... where's
everyone else gone?

Cheers
John
Old 19-04-2020, 09:53 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 19/04/2020 09:27, Another John wrote:
Hi

For the last few years we've had [what I have identified as] speedwell
in our lawn. I annually treat the lawn with "Weed and Feed", which
seems to deal with the usual weeds (buttercups, dandelions etc) but the
speedwell seems to shrug this off, and it has got worse and worse every
year.
In the last six weeks uI've treated the lawn three times .. the
speedwell has slight burning arond the edges of the leaves, but the
plants themselves seem to be burgeoning.

Any other recommendations for dealing with this?

Learn to love wildflowers in your lawn?

I don't particularly like the pristine sterile Chemlawn look myself.
(yes that is a real US gardening brand - clue is in the name)

I only persecute dandelion and buttercup in lawns I look after. I don't
let excessively large patches of daisies occur but a few look nice. YMMV

The weed and feed that I've been using is called Vitax Lawn Clear,
active ingredients appear to be Phosphorous pentoxide and Postassium
oxide (could be wrong about that since I am not a chemist, but they are
the only dodgy looking things listed).

You want a broadleaf specific herbicide of which the last remaining one
on sale to the general public is now branded as "Weedol for Lawns" is
mostly MCPA (it contains none of the ingredients of classic Weedol at
all). It is a triumph of brand marketing over common sense.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Weedol-N-A-...dp/B07BRNSH6J/

I use it to spot weed against lawn dandelions at this time of year to
prevent them from flowering ans setting a new generation of seedlings.

BTW MSDS I found says it has a trace of Clopyralid in for thistles
which means its a bad idea to put grass cuttings on your compost heap
for a while after using it. It is rather too persistent.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clopyralid

Supplementary question: this group used to be very busy with gardeners,
and now we are reduced to what appears to be about a dozen ... where's
everyone else gone?

Out gardening? Various hubs. Usenet is now a very minority interest.

BCSS has for example now taken to zoom for national virtual meetings
since physical ones are no longer possible. It has had an interesting
side effect at least for the first few some international experts have
given their services free to help the world community of cactophiles.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 19-04-2020, 01:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Martin Brown wrote:
[...]

I agree. There are plenty of other broad-leaved weeds I get rid of,
and I wish I could eliminate some bluebells without excavation, but
the main two smaller ones I remove are self heal and mouse ear, because
they aggressively form patches and are the wrong colour. The former
is very pretty, though. And I do dig up couch grass when necessary,
but that's only near the edges because it doesn't like mowing.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 19-04-2020, 03:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

[...]

Veronica filiformis or Veronica serpyllifolia, or something else?

--
SRH
Old 19-04-2020, 05:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Thanks all!

Thank you Martin -- I agree with you re "chemlawn" type lawns - we
happily tolerate wild flowers to a certain extent, but the speedwell has
now got to the stage of taking over half the (smallish) lawn -- and we
have it there for the _grass_!

And Yes, Chris, the first place I looked was my own copy of the
brilliant Hessayon book (they are all brilliant, of course).

I take the point about Ioxynil no longer being availlable (like so many
other things -- what a dangerous world we managed to survive! :-/

Thanks for the suggestion of Weedol [Verdone] Lawn treatment (which I
have used in the distant past).

I see your links sell it online Chris - thanks. And the last two,
giving details about speedwell are _very_ instructive: thanks again!)

Cheers chaps
John

Speedwell & Lawns Rick... (The other Rick) United Kingdom 0 24-05-2010 03:30 PM
speedwell in lawns derek r Lawns 2 19-04-2009 03:51 AM
Riding lawn mower and lawn roller Eric Gardening 1 02-05-2005 08:06 PM
Can I Use Scotts Lawn Pro Step 4 Lawn Fertilizer for Overseeding? Mike Thompson Lawns 1 10-09-2003 07:42 PM
Can/should I move common speedwell to between flagstones? spampot Gardening 4 01-04-2003 12:08 AM