Old 22-04-2020, 07:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Morning glory seeds - soak in tepid water?

Apart from how you keep water tepid over night.

I've got some Morning Glory Heavenly Blue seeds and the packet says soak
them over night in tepid water.

I've looked on line for advice and some don't mention it, some say
optional, some say "or scratch the seed".

Does anyone have direct experience, perhaps of trying different methods?

Cheers

Dave R

Old 22-04-2020, 08:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 22/04/20 18:28, David wrote:
Apart from how you keep water tepid over night.

I've got some Morning Glory Heavenly Blue seeds and the packet says soak
them over night in tepid water.

I've looked on line for advice and some don't mention it, some say
optional, some say "or scratch the seed".

Does anyone have direct experience, perhaps of trying different methods?

Cheers

I can't say I've had any problem germinating "Heavenly Blue". However,
if you want to perhaps increase your chances I would use the edge of a
file to get at least partially through the seed coat. Soaking overnight
in tepid water isn't too difficult if you use a vacuum flask and fill it
with tepid water. Don't forget they are tropical plants and so it's
best to not let them cool down too much after you've sown them. Don't
put them in a cold greenhouse; a warm room in the house would be fine
until they start to germinate.

Remember that they grow really quickly, and you don't want to risk
putting them outside until there is absolutely no risk of frost, or even
prolonged cold weather.

--

Jeff
Old 22-04-2020, 08:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 22/04/2020 18:28, David wrote:
Apart from how you keep water tepid over night.

I've got some Morning Glory Heavenly Blue seeds and the packet says soak
them over night in tepid water.

I've looked on line for advice and some don't mention it, some say
optional, some say "or scratch the seed".

Does anyone have direct experience, perhaps of trying different methods?

They usually come up no matter what you do. They come up a bit faster
with a bit of encouragement. Soaking overnight speeds things up.

They are posh pretty relatives of bindweed. Would probably be a
pernicious weed if it didn't get too cold for them in winter.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 22-04-2020, 08:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
David wrote:
Apart from how you keep water tepid over night.

I've got some Morning Glory Heavenly Blue seeds and the packet says soak
them over night in tepid water.

I've looked on line for advice and some don't mention it, some say
optional, some say "or scratch the seed".

Does anyone have direct experience, perhaps of trying different methods?

Ignore the tepid - it's irrelevant. I do that and then put them on
damp kitchen roll (folded) in a ramekin covered with cling film, and
then plant them in small pots. As other people say, if they get
chilled, they will die (fungal attack) - my technique reduces the
risk of that, because I have some voracious fungi in my soil.

I do pile a groove in my Ipomoea alba seeds, because they are MUCH
harder and much larger - that makes a difference, but I found that
filing most morning glory seeds (including cardinal vine) doesn't.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 22-04-2020, 09:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 22/04/2020 18:28, David wrote:
Apart from how you keep water tepid over night.

I've got some Morning Glory Heavenly Blue seeds and the packet says soak
them over night in tepid water.

I've looked on line for advice and some don't mention it, some say
optional, some say "or scratch the seed".

Does anyone have direct experience, perhaps of trying different methods?

Cheers

Dave R

I have always soaked hard coated seed and things like peas and beans, I
start with hand hot water (not hot enough to cook them) so that the air
inside them expands with the heat, then as the water cools then water is
taken inside the seed coat and gives them the start they require.

Old 23-04-2020, 12:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 22 Apr 2020 17:28:18 +0000, David wrote:

Apart from how you keep water tepid over night.

I've got some Morning Glory Heavenly Blue seeds and the packet says soak
them over night in tepid water.

I've looked on line for advice and some don't mention it, some say
optional, some say "or scratch the seed".

Does anyone have direct experience, perhaps of trying different methods?

Thanks to all.

Useful as always.

Cheers

Dave R

Old 25-04-2020, 12:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 22/04/2020 19:12, Jeff Layman wrote:
On 22/04/20 18:28, David wrote:
Apart from how you keep water tepid over night.

I've got some Morning Glory Heavenly Blue seeds and the packet says soak
them over night in tepid water.

I've looked on line for advice and some don't mention it, some say
optional, some say "or scratch the seed".

Does anyone have direct experience, perhaps of trying different methods?

Cheers

I can't say I've had any problem germinating "Heavenly Blue". However,
if you want to perhaps increase your chances I would use the edge of a
file to get at least partially through the seed coat. Soaking overnight
in tepid water isn't too difficult if you use a vacuum flask and fill it
Â*with tepid water. Don't forget they are tropical plants and so it's
best to not let them cool down too much after you've sown them. Don't
put them in a cold greenhouse; a warm room in the house would be fine
until they start to germinate.

Remember that they grow really quickly, and you don't want to risk
putting them outside until there is absolutely no risk of frost, or even
prolonged cold weather.

I have found if you wait until mid may then they will do it all by
themselves where they have seeded down into pots of other stuff!

An overnight soak does not seem excessive but I personally wouldnt be
bothered by the water cooling overnight

--
Charlie Pridham
Gardening in Cornwall