Old 27-04-2020, 06:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Wisteria root stock - allow "sucker" to grow?

This year I've noticed a "sucker" starting to grow from the Wisteria
rootstock.

Normally I would just rub it out, but I am wondering what the rootstock
for this Wisteria is?

Any harm in growing it on enough to see if it will flower eventually?
Keeping it checked so it doesn't take over, of course.

Cheers

Dave R

Old 27-04-2020, 06:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 27 Apr 2020 16:41:10 GMT, David wrote:
This year I've noticed a "sucker" starting to grow from the Wisteria
rootstock.

Normally I would just rub it out, but I am wondering what the rootstock
for this Wisteria is?

Any harm in growing it on enough to see if it will flower eventually?
Keeping it checked so it doesn't take over, of course.

Normally a seedling wisteria is used as a rootstock. But seedling
wisteria can take 20 years to flower which is why they are grafted.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden
Old 27-04-2020, 07:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 27/04/20 17:59, Bob Hobden wrote:
On 27 Apr 2020 16:41:10 GMT, David wrote:
This year I've noticed a "sucker" starting to grow from the Wisteria
rootstock.

Normally I would just rub it out, but I am wondering what the rootstock
for this Wisteria is?

Any harm in growing it on enough to see if it will flower eventually?
Keeping it checked so it doesn't take over, of course.

Normally a seedling wisteria is used as a rootstock. But seedling
wisteria can take 20 years to flower which is why they are grafted.

I dug up a sucker a couple of years ago and potted it up for fun. It's
growing well (in an 8" long tom). It will be interesting to see how long
it takes to flower, and what it is - maybe bog standard sinensis?

Of course, I have no idea if the umpteen years to flower from seed is
true or not. Is it perhaps one of these gardening "Castaneas" that are
perpetuated without actual experience?

--

Jeff
Old 28-04-2020, 09:40 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Monday, April 27, 2020 at 5:41:13 PM UTC+1, David wrote:
This year I've noticed a "sucker" starting to grow from the Wisteria
rootstock.

Normally I would just rub it out, but I am wondering what the rootstock
for this Wisteria is?

Any harm in growing it on enough to see if it will flower eventually?
Keeping it checked so it doesn't take over, of course.

Cheers

Dave R

--

I allowed one to grow on from one of my standard Wisterias across to an adjacent fence. Flowered within a year or so and mother and baby doing well ! Pete

Old 28-04-2020, 11:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 27 Apr 2020 17:59:15 Bob Hobden wrote:

On 27 Apr 2020 16:41:10 GMT, David wrote:
This year I've noticed a "sucker" starting to grow from the Wisteria
rootstock.

Normally I would just rub it out, but I am wondering what the rootstock
for this Wisteria is?

Any harm in growing it on enough to see if it will flower eventually?
Keeping it checked so it doesn't take over, of course.

Normally a seedling wisteria is used as a rootstock. But seedling
wisteria can take 20 years to flower which is why they are grafted.

I grew a wisteria from seed once but it died after about ten years
without flowering.

David

Old 30-04-2020, 06:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 27 Apr 2020 18:48:07 +0100, Jeff Layman wrote:

[...]

Sounds as though it will do no harm to let it grow on, but not expect any
flowers.

Cheers

Dave R

Old 30-04-2020, 06:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 27 Apr 2020 17:59:15 +0100, Bob Hobden wrote:

On 27 Apr 2020 16:41:10 GMT, David wrote:
This year I've noticed a "sucker" starting to grow from the Wisteria
rootstock.

Normally I would just rub it out, but I am wondering what the rootstock
for this Wisteria is?

Any harm in growing it on enough to see if it will flower eventually?
Keeping it checked so it doesn't take over, of course.

Normally a seedling wisteria is used as a rootstock. But seedling
wisteria can take 20 years to flower which is why they are grafted.

This intrigues me, as it did when I searched on line.

I assume that there is some "maturity magic" taking place in the cells of
the Wisteria which is retained by the cuttings, allowing them to flower
very quickly.

Thus eliminating the 20 year wait.

Also why you are advised to see a Wisteria in flower at the nursery before
you buy, in case it is only, say, 5 years old and you have 15 years wait
ahead.

Now wondering if a friend still has the remains of a non-flowering
Wisteria for a grafting experiment.

Cheers

Dave R

Old 30-04-2020, 08:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
David wrote:
[...]

For a similar pheonomenon, look up "bush ivy". This sort of thing
has been known in plants for ages but, when I last checked, nobody
was sure exactly how it worked. But people are still puzzling out
mammalian cellular differentiation and epigenetics, and that has had
VASTLY more effort put into it!

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 01-05-2020, 12:33 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 30/04/2020 19:37, Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article ,
David wrote:
[...]

I grew an Ivy Bush a few years ago. You take cuttings of flowering wood
from an Ivy, when it roots it doesn't revert to sending out trailing growth'
Interesting thing to do.
Old 05-05-2020, 12:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 30/04/2020 17:17, David wrote:
[...]

I have grown W floribunda from seed and it took just 5 years to start
flowering.
Are you sure its not part of the original plant? they are supposed to be
"Nurse Grafted" ie only the seedling root is used so should never
produce "suckers" that don't belong

--
Charlie Pridham
Gardening in Cornwall
Old 07-05-2020, 06:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 05 May 2020 11:57:16 +0100, Charlie Pridham wrote:

[...]

As far as I can see there is a lump on the stem just above ground level,
and a tangle of roots partly exposed.

The new growth is coming up from amongst the tangle of roots.

So I am assuming that it is from the rootstock.

It is always possible that it is a seedling from a previous year, I
suppose.

Cheers

Dave R