Old 06-05-2020, 09:41 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Clematis ID

I bought this a few years ago, but the label has disappeared.

It is in flower now, and the flowers are around 15cm across. I though
they were just doubles, white to off-white, but the second photo showing
the outer petals with quite strong green markings, and some in the
centre is something I haven't noticed before. Even the first photo shows
some light greenish shading towards the centre.

https://ibb.co/hLrfj9B
https://ibb.co/fd3dxPJ

--

Jeff
Old 06-05-2020, 11:26 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 06/05/2020 09:41, Jeff Layman wrote:
I bought this a few years ago, but the label has disappeared.

It is in flower now, and the flowers are around 15cm across.Â* I though
they were just doubles, white to off-white, but the second photo showing
the outer petals with quite strong green markings, and some in the
centre is something I haven't noticed before. Even the first photo shows
some light greenish shading towards the centre.

https://ibb.co/hLrfj9B
https://ibb.co/fd3dxPJ

Its Duchess of Edinburgh

--
Charlie Pridham
Gardening in Cornwall
Old 06-05-2020, 12:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 06/05/20 11:26, Charlie Pridham wrote:
On 06/05/2020 09:41, Jeff Layman wrote:
I bought this a few years ago, but the label has disappeared.

It is in flower now, and the flowers are around 15cm across.Â* I though
they were just doubles, white to off-white, but the second photo showing
the outer petals with quite strong green markings, and some in the
centre is something I haven't noticed before. Even the first photo shows
some light greenish shading towards the centre.

https://ibb.co/hLrfj9B
https://ibb.co/fd3dxPJ

Its Duchess of Edinburgh

Thanks Charlie - spot on!

I remember now when I bought it, at the same time as "Barbara
Harrington", that I thought the name "Duchess of Edinburgh" was very
unusual. Despite "Duke of Edinburgh" being heard everywhere in relation
to a certain Royal, I'd never heard the term "Duchess of Edinburgh"
until then.

--

Jeff
Old 06-05-2020, 02:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 06/05/2020 12:51, Jeff Layman wrote:
[...]

Per WikiPedia, the title of Duke of Edinburgh has been created three
times. The second creation, of 1866, was for Queen Victoria's second
son, Prince Alfred. I'd guess that this is an old variety, named after
his wife (Grand Duchess Maria Alexandrovna of Russia).

--
SRH
Old 06-05-2020, 03:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 06/05/20 14:45, Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:
[...]

Yes, I had a look on the internet after Charlie had named the plant.
There was surprisingly little original information, excepting that on
Maria Alexandrovna. Most of it was very recent tabloid nonsense about
who will be the next Duke (and his wife would therefore be the Duchess)
when the current one "moves on".

I'd tried looking through the various photos on Google images for "white
double flower clematis" but soon gave up as there were so many. I did
come across a nice clematis though - "Miss Bateman". See he
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/265712446741124457/

Trouble is, that green stripe appears to have been photoshopped to make
it more intense according to other photos of it. Pity - a clematis like
that would be a very welcome addition.

--

Jeff

Old 06-05-2020, 06:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 06/05/20 16:44, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Wed, 6 May 2020 15:43:15 +0100, Jeff Layman
wrote:

[...]

I have 'Miss Bateman' just coming into flower now. The green stripe is
a pale yellow-green. Your pinterest image is a little too blue-green
on my screen, but I would say that one of the closest representations
to the colour of mine is the first photo in the sequence here
https://www.gardentags.com/profile/d...bateman/966787
or https://tinyurl.com/ycwudstg (these start at the third image in the
sequence - you need to click the LH arrow to get images 1 and 2).

Image 2 shows a rather good flower, but Image 1 is a little too pale for
me. Next time I get a chance to see one in flower I'll have a good look.
Maybe the flowers vary a bit from year to year - my Duchess of Edinburgh
is showing green I've never seen before, but some webpages refer to it
sometimes being green on its early flowers. There's little doubt it's
early this year, so maybe that's the explanation.

--

Jeff
Old 07-05-2020, 10:12 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

Maria Alexandrovna. Most of it was very recentÂ* tabloid nonsense about
[...]

The green stripe on some Clematis is to do with heat, they can all do it
but cooler night temperatures in spring tends to make it more prevalent
in the Group two clematis that flower in May and of course lighter
flowers make it show it up more. This is all due to the sepals which
will form what we think of as the flower starting life as the green bud
case and have to change to colour up, this change is helped by warmth.
So if you like the green strip effect (and some flower arrangers get
very excited by it) then plant in a cool place

--
Charlie Pridham
Gardening in Cornwall