GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Another ID Request Please (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/216925-another-id-request-please.html)

thescullster 07-05-2020 06:44 PM

Another ID Request Please

Hello Fellow Urglers

I visited a colleague of mine for the first time recently and came
across a rather attractive tree that I didn't recognise at all.

Can anyone put a name to this please
https://cpmcloud.sharefile.com/d-s7428f3907ef4c5d9?

The guy has a place near Skipsea and has planted close to 500 trees on
his land there. All holes dug manually, and some of the trees grown
from seeds collected on his travels with work to Russia and Ukraine.

Apparently he has looked into the "importation" of varieties in this way
and it is accepted.

Thanks

Jeff Layman[_2_] 07-05-2020 06:52 PM

Another ID Request Please

On 07/05/20 18:44, thescullster wrote:
Hello Fellow Urglers

I visited a colleague of mine for the first time recently and came
across a rather attractive tree that I didn't recognise at all.

Can anyone put a name to this please
https://cpmcloud.sharefile.com/d-s7428f3907ef4c5d9?

The guy has a place near Skipsea and has planted close to 500 trees on
his land there. All holes dug manually, and some of the trees grown
from seeds collected on his travels with work to Russia and Ukraine.

Apparently he has looked into the "importation" of varieties in this way
and it is accepted.

Thanks

Possibly a whitebeam - maybe something like Sorbus aria 'Lutescens', but
perhaps someone else has a better idea.

--

Jeff

Charlie Pridham[_2_] 08-05-2020 01:42 PM

Another ID Request Please

On 07/05/2020 18:52, Jeff Layman wrote:
On 07/05/20 18:44, thescullster wrote:
Hello Fellow Urglers

I visited a colleague of mine for the first time recently and came
across a rather attractive tree that I didn't recognise at all.

Can anyone put a name to this please
https://cpmcloud.sharefile.com/d-s7428f3907ef4c5d9?

The guy has a place near Skipsea and has planted close to 500 trees on
his land there.Â* All holes dug manually, and some of the trees grown
from seeds collected on his travels with work to Russia and Ukraine.

Apparently he has looked into the "importation" of varieties in this way
and it is accepted.

Thanks

Possibly a whitebeam - maybe something like Sorbus aria 'Lutescens', but
perhaps someone else has a better idea.

I agree whitebeam

--
Charlie Pridham
Gardening in Cornwall

Stewart Robert Hinsley 08-05-2020 02:25 PM

Another ID Request Please

On 07/05/2020 18:52, Jeff Layman wrote:
On 07/05/20 18:44, thescullster wrote:
Hello Fellow Urglers

I visited a colleague of mine for the first time recently and came
across a rather attractive tree that I didn't recognise at all.

Can anyone put a name to this please
https://cpmcloud.sharefile.com/d-s7428f3907ef4c5d9?

The guy has a place near Skipsea and has planted close to 500 trees on
his land there.Â* All holes dug manually, and some of the trees grown
from seeds collected on his travels with work to Russia and Ukraine.

Apparently he has looked into the "importation" of varieties in this way
and it is accepted.

Thanks

Possibly a whitebeam - maybe something like Sorbus aria 'Lutescens', but
perhaps someone else has a better idea.

Definitely Sorbus aria agg., but identifying which one is a non-trivial
task. However this does look the Sorbus aria cultivars planted as street
trees, so I'm tempted to discount the possibility that it's a Russian or
Ukrainian species. (Sorbus aria gets as far as the Ukraine; there are
several other species of the aggregate also found in Russia and the
Ukraine.)

--
SRH

thescullster 08-05-2020 03:31 PM

Another ID Request Please

Jeff Layman Wrote in message:
On 07/05/20 18:44, thescullster wrote: Hello Fellow Urglers I visited a colleague of mine for the first time recently and came across a rather attractive tree that I didn't recognise at all. Can anyone put a name to this please https://cpmcloud.sharefile.com/d-s7428f3907ef4c5d9? The guy has a place near Skipsea and has planted close to 500 trees on his land there. All holes dug manually, and some of the trees grown from seeds collected on his travels with work to Russia and Ukraine. Apparently he has looked into the "importation" of varieties in this way and it is accepted. ThanksPossibly a whitebeam - maybe something like Sorbus aria 'Lutescens', but perhaps someone else has a better idea.-- Jeff

Many thanks guys

Looking at the links you have provided the sorbus aria pics match
my recollection of the tree in the flesh so to speak.
I think the Russian/Ukrainian reference was misleading. I believe
they were generally chestnuts that he brought back from these
countries.

Phil
--

----Android NewsGroup Reader----