Old 10-05-2003, 07:08 PM
Saffy

Default Sparrows in my garden :)

I have had virtually no birdlife in my garden for ages but in the past few
days have been repeatedly visited by four sparrows (hedge rather house I
think) and its lovely. I have no idea why they have suddenly appeared and
if they plan to stay but its cheered me up no end.

Saffy.

Old 10-05-2003, 08:20 PM
Mike

Saffy wrote:

I have had virtually no birdlife in my garden for ages but in the past few
days have been repeatedly visited by four sparrows (hedge rather house I
think) and its lovely. I have no idea why they have suddenly appeared and
if they plan to stay but its cheered me up no end.

Saffy.

I don't know what size garden you have but i envy you having few birds.

I'm off birds. I live near Norwich and constant stream of birds,
pigeons, starlings which go out of their way to annoy me and house
sparrows.

I've had to put wire netting on the ground in an attempt to stop the
sparrows dustbathing and messing up my plants.

Count your blessings. I hope to move one day and I'll ensure there are
few birds at my new address. I've also been thinking of having a flat.

Mike.
Old 10-05-2003, 09:00 PM
Registered User

Location: London

i used to have a fair few sparrows in my garden about 5 years back. The little cute baby birds with fluffy feathers used to sit on the fence and the mother would be feeding them

I also had wrens nesting in a cavitity in the roof, two years back but since then the nesting material is still there but no birds have nested.

You are very lucky to have sparrow in your garden saffy. Im thinking about putting a bird box up for the starlins this year.

starlin population has also declined alot within the past 5 years. You could see massive flocks of them flying in the evening but not any more. Its very saddening
Old 10-05-2003, 09:56 PM
Drakanthus

I don't know what size garden you have but i envy you having few birds.

I'm off birds. I live near Norwich and constant stream of birds,
pigeons, starlings which go out of their way to annoy me and house
sparrows.

I've had to put wire netting on the ground in an attempt to stop the
sparrows dustbathing and messing up my plants.

Mike.

I wanted to encourage birds into my garden, and I started using bird feeders six
months ago with mixed seeds, peanuts and fat balls. The number of birds has
increased enormously. There are often six sparrows on the seed feeder at any one
time. I've also started getting more blackbirds, robins, starlings (they love the
fat balls), thrushes and blue tits.
On the minus side they are eating me out of house and home (seed isn't cheap). On
the plus side I've not had to put any slug pellets down at all yet this year.
There are forever birds running about in the veg plot and under the cabbages. They
must be doing some good.
The only birds that are not welcome are pigeons - they eat my cabbages and other
veg seedlings.

--
Drakanthus.

(Spam filter: Include the word VB anywhere in the subject line or emails
will never reach me.)

Old 10-05-2003, 09:56 PM
The Devil's Advocate

We seem to be getting more and more birds and it's wonderful. Saddos who
would rather have everything unspoilt ,as they like to call it ,should see
what my prize tortoise can do to a few of their prize plants, lol , I feel
sorry for them, they should get out more

Saffy wrote:
: I have had virtually no birdlife in my garden for ages but in the
: past few days have been repeatedly visited by four sparrows (hedge
: rather house I think) and its lovely. I have no idea why they have
: suddenly appeared and if they plan to stay but its cheered me up no
: end.
:
: Saffy.

Old 10-05-2003, 11:08 PM
Sue & Bob Hobden

"Saffy" wrote in message ...
I have had virtually no birdlife in my garden for ages but in the past few
days have been repeatedly visited by four sparrows (hedge rather house I
think) and its lovely. I have no idea why they have suddenly appeared and
if they plan to stay but its cheered me up no end.

Sparrows have disappeared from most of this area except I see them around
the old peoples flats/.bungalows near our allotment site, Often wonder if
it's because those people still put bread out for the birds not upmarket
seed.
Anyway, I made a couple of Sparrow nest boxes a couple of years ago and
screwed them up high on our side wall because there is some suggestion that
it's lack of nesting sites that is their problem, no Sparrows but today I
noticed a Blue Tit has nested in one, saw it flying in and out.
As long as it's being used.

--
Bob

Runnymede fighting for it's existence.

Old 10-05-2003, 11:56 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Sue & Bob Hobden
writes

"Saffy" wrote in message ...
I have had virtually no birdlife in my garden for ages but in the past few
days have been repeatedly visited by four sparrows (hedge rather house I
think) and its lovely. I have no idea why they have suddenly appeared and
if they plan to stay but its cheered me up no end.

Sparrows have disappeared from most of this area except I see them around
the old peoples flats/.bungalows near our allotment site, Often wonder if
it's because those people still put bread out for the birds not upmarket
seed.

Well, our sparrows eat bird seed with as much enthusiasm as all the
other birds.

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 11-05-2003, 12:56 AM
shannie

"Kay Easton" wrote in message
In article , Sue & Bob Hobden
writes

"Saffy" wrote in message ...
I have had virtually no birdlife in my garden for ages but in the past

few
days have been repeatedly visited by four sparrows (hedge rather house

think) and its lovely. I have no idea why they have suddenly appeared

and
if they plan to stay but its cheered me up no end.

Sparrows have disappeared from most of this area except I see them around
the old peoples flats/.bungalows near our allotment site, Often wonder if
it's because those people still put bread out for the birds not upmarket
seed.

Well, our sparrows eat bird seed with as much enthusiasm as all the
other birds.

When making your fatballs (or rectangles in our case!) squidge in stale
brown and white bread along with the seed, all the birds come and they
choose what they like best to eat
--

Shan (Ireland)

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:

Old 11-05-2003, 08:44 AM
Charlie

"Sue & Bob Hobden" wrote in message

Sparrows have disappeared from most of this area except I see them around
the old peoples flats/.bungalows near our allotment site, Often wonder if
it's because those people still put bread out for the birds not upmarket
seed.

I only put bread out and we really do have tens of birds nesting in our
house and garden. I have little problem with slugs or snails and aphids and
other bugs go as soon as they arrive! We also have an adorable baby pigeon
who loves to chase my dog (huge Labrador retriever!) who was born in a tree
near by. The baby pigeon is fearless he comes right up to me and will
occasionally eat from my hand, I hope he stays in the garden!

Charlie.

---

Old 12-05-2003, 12:45 AM
Elizabeth

"Charlie" wrote in message

I only put bread out and we really do have tens of birds nesting in our
house and garden. I have little problem with slugs or snails and aphids

and
other bugs go as soon as they arrive! We also have an adorable baby

pigeon
who loves to chase my dog (huge Labrador retriever!) who was born in a

tree
near by. The baby pigeon is fearless he comes right up to me and will
occasionally eat from my hand, I hope he stays in the garden!

That must be extremely funny to watch!

We have two very large visiting wood pigeons that the cats get quite excited
by (but are slightly afraid of). We also get both types of sparrow, blue
tits, great tits, long-tailed tits, coal tits, a pair of robins, a lovely
blackbird pair, some greenfinches, a few dunnock (which are so sweet), the
odd blackcap and chaffinch (though have only seen him once or twice). Oh and
loads of starlings - some have nested in our roof and the babies make a
great racket (espcially when we shut doors and make other noises in the
house)!

I wasn't particularly into birds until we moved from London to Herts, but
have such a profusion in the garden I signed up to the BTO and am trying to
learn all the different kinds. My fiance was most amused at my excited
announcements of lovely tits in the garden...I think he thought our
neighbour was sunbathing topless again.

Elizabeth

Old 12-05-2003, 08:11 AM
Pickle

"Elizabeth" wrote in message ...

[...]

We've been lucky enough to have a great-spotted woodpecker visit our
bird table - they like suet apparently.
Old 12-05-2003, 08:45 AM
Mark

"Pickle" wrote in message
m...
"Elizabeth" wrote in message

"Charlie" wrote in message

We've been lucky enough to have a great-spotted woodpecker visit our
bird table - they like suet apparently.

We had one hammering on the tree outside the house a couple of weeks ago,
but not seen it since, I'll give the suet a go and see if it returns.

Our's is a kingfisher that sat by the pond every morning for 3 weeks during
the winter, come this spring all our fish seem to be there. Must have been
poor at fishing (unless it had some of last years young)

Mark

Old 12-05-2003, 11:33 AM
Ophelia

"Pickle" wrote in message

We've been lucky enough to have a great-spotted woodpecker visit our
bird table - they like suet apparently.

That is wonderful I am so envious) We have collared doves, a pair of
gold finches and a pair of tree sparrows))))

Unfortunately they inspect a large tree which is too near our window. They
peer through and in fact I think the gold finch was seeing its own
reflection and it battered against the window for some time

Ophelia
Scotland