Old 09-05-2020, 04:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Clematis wilt - early this year

C. viticella 'Margot Koster" was showing it yesterday. The whole plant
has gone today, so it's had another prune to ground level. Usually
'Vyvyan Pennell' gets it first, but not this year. It probably won't be
long before it gets wilt too. :-(

--

Jeff
Old 12-05-2020, 04:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 09/05/2020 15:17, Jeff Layman wrote:
C. viticella 'Margot Koster" was showing it yesterday. The whole plant
has gone today, so it's had another prune to ground level. Usually
'Vyvyan Pennell' gets it first, but not this year. It probably won't be
long before it gets wilt too. :-(

Why I only now bother with the later ones! Margot Koster never gets it
here, perhaps is because she doesn't generally get chopped until March?

--
Charlie Pridham
Gardening in Cornwall
Old 12-05-2020, 07:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 12/05/20 15:47, Charlie Pridham wrote:
On 09/05/2020 15:17, Jeff Layman wrote:
C. viticella 'Margot Koster" was showing it yesterday. The whole plant
has gone today, so it's had another prune to ground level. Usually
'Vyvyan Pennell' gets it first, but not this year. It probably won't be
long before it gets wilt too. :-(

Why I only now bother with the later ones! Margot Koster never gets it
here, perhaps is because she doesn't generally get chopped until March?

I can't remember when I first pruned it, but the problem with a very
mild winter is that it starts growing so early. I think I'll try March,
no matter what size it has reached if the winter is mild.

On an unrelated subject - although it does involve a clematis - my
'Voluceau' seems to be a scrambler rather than a climber. It flowers
well, but after getting to a metre or so tends to just flop down and
away from the supporting wires. Most refs say it grows to 2 - 3 metres;
what does yours do?

--

Jeff
Old 15-05-2020, 02:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 12/05/2020 18:16, Jeff Layman wrote:
[...]

Like yours its weak stemmed and needs much twiggy support to gain any height

--
Charlie Pridham
Gardening in Cornwall
Old 15-05-2020, 02:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 15/05/20 13:16, Charlie Pridham wrote:
[...]

OK. Thanks for the confirmation. It's a bit hidden where it is; I think
I'll move it when it's dormant to a place where its flowers are more
visible even if they are lower down.

--

Jeff