Old 09-05-2020, 06:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Pollinators

Where have all the insects gone?

It's been warm and sunny here for the past few days, and I haven't seen
a single bee or hoverfly around. Normally there would be loads of them
flying about at this time of year in these conditions. Even cabbage
whites are in abundance around now and I've just seen one today briefly.
Old 09-05-2020, 07:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 09/05/20 17:04, m06een00 wrote:
Where have all the insects gone?

It's been warm and sunny here for the past few days, and I haven't seen
a single bee or hoverfly around. Normally there would be loads of them
flying about at this time of year in these conditions. Even cabbage
whites are in abundance around now and I've just seen one today briefly.

Where are you?

Large numbers of honey bees and other bees (bumblebees and other
solitary bees) here in Hampshire. Also lots of butterflies. In the last
few days I've seen a Brimstone, a couple of Large Tortoiseshells, and a
couple of Holly Blues, and really haven't been looking for them. One or
two wasps, but no hoverflies. It's still very early in the year despite
the warm weather.

--

Jeff
Old 09-05-2020, 07:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Jeff Layman wrote:

Large numbers of honey bees and other bees (bumblebees and other
solitary bees) here in Hampshire. Also lots of butterflies. In the last
few days I've seen a Brimstone, aÂ* couple of Large Tortoiseshells, and a
couple of Holly Blues

Nottinghamshire this morning I saw some cabbage whites, orange tips and
a cinnabar moth, plenty of big bumble bees, only a couple of ladybirds.

Old 09-05-2020, 08:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Andy Burns wrote:
Jeff Layman wrote:

Large numbers of honey bees and other bees (bumblebees and other
solitary bees) here in Hampshire. Also lots of butterflies. In the last
few days I've seen a Brimstone, aÂ* couple of Large Tortoiseshells, and a
couple of Holly Blues

Nottinghamshire this morning I saw some cabbage whites, orange tips and
a cinnabar moth, plenty of big bumble bees, only a couple of ladybirds.

Very few here, near Cambridge. I blame the long, wet winter.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 09-05-2020, 09:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 09/05/2020 19:09, Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article ,
Andy Burns wrote:
Jeff Layman wrote:

Large numbers of honey bees and other bees (bumblebees and other
solitary bees) here in Hampshire. Also lots of butterflies. In the last
few days I've seen a Brimstone, aÂÂ* couple of Large Tortoiseshells, and a
couple of Holly Blues

Nottinghamshire this morning I saw some cabbage whites, orange tips and
a cinnabar moth, plenty of big bumble bees, only a couple of ladybirds.

Very few here, near Cambridge. I blame the long, wet winter.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Quite a good selection here in South Wales. I've never seen so many very
large Bumble Bees as this spring.

Old 09-05-2020, 10:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Andy Burns wrote:
Jeff Layman wrote:

Large numbers of honey bees and other bees (bumblebees and other
solitary bees) here in Hampshire. Also lots of butterflies. In the last
few days I've seen a Brimstone, aÂÂ* couple of Large Tortoiseshells, and a
couple of Holly Blues

Nottinghamshire this morning I saw some cabbage whites, orange tips and
a cinnabar moth, plenty of big bumble bees, only a couple of ladybirds.

Very few here, near Cambridge. I blame the long, wet winter.

Also near Cambridge I don't think I've ever seen so many orange tips
before (OTOH I'm taking more local walks than usual!) also seen quite a
few brimstones, small tortoiseshell, and any number of bees. Including
the ones that are gradually dismantling our chimney, and will have to go

Today saw what I think was a cinnabar moth - unless it was a burnet. I'm
not an expert.

Andy
Old 10-05-2020, 12:37 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 09/05/2020 17:04, m06een00 wrote:
Where have all the insects gone?

It's been warm and sunny here for the past few days, and I haven't seen
a single bee or hoverfly around. Normally there would be loads of them
flying about at this time of year in these conditions. Even cabbage
whites are in abundance around now and I've just seen one today briefly.

I have mason bees[1] and they have been very active for a couple to
three weeks now.
About a week ago it was sunny here but there was a cold wind blowing.
Just outside my back door I counted around 10 different species of bees
and hover-flies on the walls and surrounding area. I realised a bit
later that this was an area in full sun and completely sheltered from
the cold wind. The insects were obviously sitting there warming up.

[1] I have 1000+ tubes for mason bees hanging up on my garden fence.
Although I probably lost many due to many of the tubes becoming wet and
cold early winter I have enough viable tubes to have around 100 bees at
any one time in close proximity repopulating empty tubes with pollen and
larvae. Although not ideal many of my tubes are cut down drinking straws
(jumbo drinking straws of 8mm diameter with spoon end designed for
drinking/eating smoothies).

https://www.masonbees.co.uk/

Old 10-05-2020, 10:19 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 9 May 2020 17:04:31 m06een00 wrote:

Where have all the insects gone?

It's been warm and sunny here for the past few days, and I haven't seen
a single bee or hoverfly around. Normally there would be loads of them
flying about at this time of year in these conditions. Even cabbage
whites are in abundance around now and I've just seen one today briefly.

I have been lamenting the lack of pollinators for my apple blossom
which, this year, was splendid. They were around earlier, however, for
the plum and cherry blossom.

So where have they gone?

David

Old 10-05-2020, 04:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 09/05/2020 18:03, Jeff Layman wrote:
On 09/05/20 17:04, m06een00 wrote:
Where have all the insects gone?

It's been warm and sunny here for the past few days, and I haven't seen
a single bee or hoverfly around. Normally there would be loads of them
flying about at this time of year in these conditions. Even cabbage
whites are in abundance around now and I've just seen one today briefly.

Where are you?

Large numbers of honey bees and other bees (bumblebees and other
solitary bees) here in Hampshire. Also lots of butterflies. In the last
few days I've seen a Brimstone, aÂ* couple of Large Tortoiseshells, and a
couple of Holly Blues, and really haven't been looking for them. One or
two wasps, but no hoverflies. It's still very early in the year despite
the warm weather.

Haven't seen any hover flies yet but most of the rest are here now
together with the stupid little beetles that ping off the windscreen.
Swallows, swifts and house martins also arrived this week to eat the
abundant insects. Heard the first curlew too. (in North Yorkshire)

Quite a lot of big bumblebees so far this year. Most of the usual
butterflies have put in an appearance- comma, tortoiseshell, peacock.
(as well as more boring vegetable eating ones)

Lily beetles have also arrived

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 12-05-2020, 06:01 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Yes, that's the odd thing. When we had that warm spell over Easter there were quite a few bees and insects around. Yet in this very recent warm spell not a bee to be seen here in NW London. My strawberries have just been blooming and I've had to pollinate them by hand. Curiously there's a distinct lack of aphids too, even though that's welcoming. It's all a bit odd.

Old 13-05-2020, 08:11 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

m06een00 wrote:

It's been warm and sunny here for the past few days, and I haven't seen
a single bee or hoverfly around.

Don't worry, the moths are pollinating on the night-shift :-P

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-52630991