Old 09-05-2020, 10:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Chick Peas

Thought I would try growing chick peas to see what happens, A pack of
seeds from Morrison for around £1.40p has several hundred, Grown in
Argentina so may be OK with the Welsh weather.
My thinking is they may be OK picked young "The pods, which are produced
in profusion, can be eaten young in much the same way as a petits pois
or small French beans," and or used as a green manure.
Anyone ever tried?
Old 09-05-2020, 10:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 9 May 2020 21:01:20 David Hill wrote:

Thought I would try growing chick peas to see what happens, A pack of
seeds from Morrison for around £1.40p has several hundred, Grown in
Argentina so may be OK with the Welsh weather.
My thinking is they may be OK picked young "The pods, which are
produced in profusion, can be eaten young in much the same way as a
petits pois or small French beans," and or used as a green manure.
Anyone ever tried?

Yes, many years ago when I had an allotment. I used chickpeas that I'd
bought in a supermarket in France for culinary purposes. They grew well
but, unfortunately it was a very wet summer and they didn't ripen
properly - but neither did my red and white kidney beans that summer.

I never knew that one could eat them young like green beans. I could
have done that, but I wanted to grow them to maturity and dry them like
I do with the red and white beans.

I have a jar of them in the kitchen. I think I might have another go
this year now that you've prompted me.

David

Chick weed nospamplse Lawns 6 29-05-2007 02:31 AM
OT : Starling Chick Space[_2_] United Kingdom 13 10-05-2007 10:41 PM
Composting, chick litter, anti-cocc WaltA United Kingdom 0 09-04-2007 03:13 AM
Butter beans and Chick Peas Zinc Potterman United Kingdom 3 19-04-2006 10:20 PM