GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Seed and cutting compost? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/216940-seed-cutting-compost.html)

David[_24_] 13-05-2020 03:34 PM

Seed and cutting compost?

I tend to use Multi-Purpose for everything, but my first lot of sowings of
small seeds look to be struggling a bit with the large particle size.

Do all seed and cutting composts have a smaller particle size, and does
this make a big difference?

Cheers

Dave R

Nick Maclaren[_5_] 13-05-2020 04:49 PM

Seed and cutting compost?

In article ,
David wrote:
I tend to use Multi-Purpose for everything, but my first lot of sowings of
small seeds look to be struggling a bit with the large particle size.

Do all seed and cutting composts have a smaller particle size, and does
this make a big difference?

Seed composts, yes, but not necessarily a positive one :-( Too fine
a particle size leads to compaction, and the seeds will fail. I have
some Westland 'John Innes' young plant compost, and shall take it to
a tip when they reopen - it's virtually pure silt and NBG.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Pwllgloyw[_2_] 14-05-2020 10:37 AM

Seed and cutting compost?

On 13/05/2020 15:34, David wrote:
I tend to use Multi-Purpose for everything, but my first lot of sowings of
small seeds look to be struggling a bit with the large particle size.

Do all seed and cutting composts have a smaller particle size, and does
this make a big difference?

Cheers

Dave R

I've noticed recently that the multi-purpose I bought (Jack Magic from
Westland) has a lot of small stones in it, around 50mm so is probably no
use for seeds. Having bought 3 for 2, I'm stuck with it jsut for the
troughs and large pots :(

Chris Green 14-05-2020 11:09 AM

Seed and cutting compost?

Pwllgloyw wrote:
On 13/05/2020 15:34, David wrote:
I tend to use Multi-Purpose for everything, but my first lot of sowings of
small seeds look to be struggling a bit with the large particle size.

Do all seed and cutting composts have a smaller particle size, and does
this make a big difference?

Cheers

Dave R

I've noticed recently that the multi-purpose I bought (Jack Magic from
Westland) has a lot of small stones in it, around 50mm so is probably no
use for seeds. Having bought 3 for 2, I'm stuck with it jsut for the
troughs and large pots :(

50mm?? That's 2 inches, hardly what I'd call small stones, I'd return
it regardless of whether it was a "3 for 2" or whatever.

--
Chris Green
ยท

Martin Brown[_2_] 14-05-2020 11:33 AM

Seed and cutting compost?

On 13/05/2020 15:34, David wrote:
I tend to use Multi-Purpose for everything, but my first lot of sowings of
small seeds look to be struggling a bit with the large particle size.

Rub the stuff slightly or sieve it to make sure there a no big lumps.

Do all seed and cutting composts have a smaller particle size, and does
this make a big difference?

The main difference is that there is a bit too much long term nutrient
in the general multipurpose compost for young seedlings.

It is worth cutting it 2+1 or even 1+1 with a washed sharp sand or
perlite/vermiculite to make it freer draining and slightly more friendly
to germinating seeds. I find it really only matters with the finest and
tricky seeds - I normally plant anything robust in multi-purpose.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Charlie Pridham[_2_] 15-05-2020 01:11 PM

Seed and cutting compost?

On 13/05/2020 15:34, David wrote:
I tend to use Multi-Purpose for everything, but my first lot of sowings of
small seeds look to be struggling a bit with the large particle size.

Do all seed and cutting composts have a smaller particle size, and does
this make a big difference?

Cheers

Dave R

If you find a brand that suits stick with it, peoples garden habits a re
all different, I use Levingtons seed with added sand, works for me!

--
Charlie Pridham
Gardening in Cornwall