Old 19-05-2020, 05:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Giant thistle - or what??

This has been growing for some time in the 'wild' part of my garden
(photo here):
https://ibb.co/TgtjQj7
It's presently around 4' 6" tall, and looks like a dark green spiky
thistle. However, there is no sign of any of the usual thistle seed
heads. Can anyone tell me what it really is?
--
Ian
Old 19-05-2020, 05:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Ian Jackson wrote:
This has been growing for some time in the 'wild' part of my garden
(photo here):
https://ibb.co/TgtjQj7
It's presently around 4' 6" tall, and looks like a dark green spiky
thistle. However, there is no sign of any of the usual thistle seed
heads. Can anyone tell me what it really is?

A thistle. Until it at least starts to flower, I can't guess further.
There are several genera called thistles, some of which are cultivated.
I would leave it until it starts to flower and then decide.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 19-05-2020, 07:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 19/05/20 17:08, Jim S wrote:
On Tue, 19 May 2020 16:10:47 +0100, Ian Jackson wrote:

This has been growing for some time in the 'wild' part of my garden
(photo here):
https://ibb.co/TgtjQj7
It's presently around 4' 6" tall, and looks like a dark green spiky
thistle. However, there is no sign of any of the usual thistle seed
heads. Can anyone tell me what it really is?

Teasel?

It isn't a teasel. The leaves are the wrong shape, and in a teasel there
is a sort of perfoliate structure around the main stem which collects
rainwater. The OP's plant does not appear to have that.

--

Jeff
Old 19-05-2020, 09:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Jeff Layman
writes
On 19/05/20 17:08, Jim S wrote:
On Tue, 19 May 2020 16:10:47 +0100, Ian Jackson wrote:

This has been growing for some time in the 'wild' part of my garden
(photo here):
https://ibb.co/TgtjQj7
It's presently around 4' 6" tall, and looks like a dark green spiky
thistle. However, there is no sign of any of the usual thistle seed
heads. Can anyone tell me what it really is?

Teasel?

It isn't a teasel. The leaves are the wrong shape, and in a teasel
there is a sort of perfoliate structure around the main stem which
collects rainwater. The OP's plant does not appear to have that.

Yes - the leaves are much more pointed, and the ends are quite spiky
(indeed quite viscious-looking!). Here are a couple more photos:
https://ibb.co/DY7D01g
https://ibb.co/WvcSxM3
--
Ian

Old 19-05-2020, 09:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 19/05/2020 16:10, Ian Jackson wrote:
This has been growing for some time in the 'wild' part of my garden
(photo here):
https://ibb.co/TgtjQj7
It's presently around 4' 6" tall, and looks like a dark green spiky
thistle. However, there is no sign of any of the usual thistle seed
heads. Can anyone tell me what it really is?

Possibly woolly thistle (Cirsium eriophorum), which is the one with the
spiny particularly 3-dimensional leaves. Are you on limestone?

--
alias Ernest Major
Old 20-05-2020, 12:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 19/05/2020 17:08, Jim S wrote:
On Tue, 19 May 2020 16:10:47 +0100, Ian Jackson wrote:

This has been growing for some time in the 'wild' part of my garden
(photo here):
https://ibb.co/TgtjQj7
It's presently around 4' 6" tall, and looks like a dark green spiky
thistle. However, there is no sign of any of the usual thistle seed
heads. Can anyone tell me what it really is?

Teasel?

No. They have more conventionally shaped leaves with smaller spikes on.

It is some sort of thistle. Probably blown in by the wind. It may well
be quite ornamental so long as you don't let the seeds fly again. Once
it is in flower post again and there is a good chance of identification.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 20-05-2020, 09:57 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Martin Brown
writes
On 19/05/2020 17:08, Jim S wrote:
On Tue, 19 May 2020 16:10:47 +0100, Ian Jackson wrote:

This has been growing for some time in the 'wild' part of my garden
(photo here):
https://ibb.co/TgtjQj7
It's presently around 4' 6" tall, and looks like a dark green spiky
thistle. However, there is no sign of any of the usual thistle seed
heads. Can anyone tell me what it really is?

Teasel?

No. They have more conventionally shaped leaves with smaller spikes on.

It is some sort of thistle. Probably blown in by the wind. It may well
be quite ornamental so long as you don't let the seeds fly again. Once
it is in flower post again and there is a good chance of identification.

From now on I'll certainly give it a bit of TLC. So far, I've tended to
ignore it - but now I'll at least give it the occasional drink of water
in the hope it will eventually flower.

As has been suggested, it could be a woolly thistle (cirsium
eriophorum). Unfortunately, most of the Googled photos concentrate on
the pretty seed heads, and few on the leaves. However, from what I can
see, the leaves on my plant are distinctly more substantial and
'aggressive' than most of the other examples I've seen online. [Maybe
mine is simply a particularly healthy specimen.]

It's actually rather difficult to get a good photo of my 'thistle'.
Despite it being perfectly clear to the naked eye, when photographed it
blends perfectly into the wilderness behind it.
--
Ian
Old 20-05-2020, 10:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Ernest Major
writes
On 19/05/2020 16:10, Ian Jackson wrote:
This has been growing for some time in the 'wild' part of my garden
(photo here):
https://ibb.co/TgtjQj7
It's presently around 4' 6" tall, and looks like a dark green spiky
thistle. However, there is no sign of any of the usual thistle seed
heads. Can anyone tell me what it really is?

Possibly woolly thistle (Cirsium eriophorum), which is the one with the
spiny particularly 3-dimensional leaves. Are you on limestone?

Yes - definitely limestone (Chiltern area). The garden's all clay soil
and lumps of flint. Thanks for the likely ID. [See my other post
regarding the leaves.]
--
Ian
Old 20-05-2020, 11:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Ian Jackson wrote:
In message , Martin Brown
writes
On 19/05/2020 17:08, Jim S wrote:
On Tue, 19 May 2020 16:10:47 +0100, Ian Jackson wrote:

This has been growing for some time in the 'wild' part of my garden
(photo here):
https://ibb.co/TgtjQj7
It's presently around 4' 6" tall, and looks like a dark green spiky
thistle. However, there is no sign of any of the usual thistle seed
heads. Can anyone tell me what it really is?
Teasel?

No. They have more conventionally shaped leaves with smaller spikes on.

It is some sort of thistle. Probably blown in by the wind. It may well
be quite ornamental so long as you don't let the seeds fly again. Once
it is in flower post again and there is a good chance of identification.

From now on I'll certainly give it a bit of TLC. So far, I've tended to
ignore it - but now I'll at least give it the occasional drink of water
in the hope it will eventually flower.

Quite a lot of plants flower in response to the soil drying out, so
don't overdo it.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 20-05-2020, 12:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Nick Maclaren
writes
In article ,
Ian Jackson wrote:
In message , Martin Brown
writes
On 19/05/2020 17:08, Jim S wrote:
On Tue, 19 May 2020 16:10:47 +0100, Ian Jackson wrote:

This has been growing for some time in the 'wild' part of my garden
(photo here):
https://ibb.co/TgtjQj7
It's presently around 4' 6" tall, and looks like a dark green spiky
thistle. However, there is no sign of any of the usual thistle seed
heads. Can anyone tell me what it really is?
Teasel?

No. They have more conventionally shaped leaves with smaller spikes on.

It is some sort of thistle. Probably blown in by the wind. It may well
be quite ornamental so long as you don't let the seeds fly again. Once
it is in flower post again and there is a good chance of identification.

From now on I'll certainly give it a bit of TLC. So far, I've tended to
ignore it - but now I'll at least give it the occasional drink of water
in the hope it will eventually flower.

Quite a lot of plants flower in response to the soil drying out, so
don't overdo it.

Indeed. AIUI, they realise their lives are in danger, and to preserve
their species instinctively set about trying to reproduce. But it been
SO dry lately, and a lot of the garden plants need the occasional drink.
--
Ian
Old 20-05-2020, 12:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Ian Jackson wrote:

Indeed. AIUI, they realise their lives are in danger, and to preserve
their species instinctively set about trying to reproduce. But it been
SO dry lately, and a lot of the garden plants need the occasional drink.

As you say. If we don't get another decent rain spell shortly, I am
going to have to start watering my established plants, which I very
rarely do.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 20-05-2020, 12:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Ian Jackson wrote:

it been SO dry lately, and a lot of the garden plants need the occasional
drink.

Think I've killed my second cordyline in 2 years, first one I think I
overwatered, determined not to make the same mistake again, I only
watered the replacement sparingly, but all of a sudden it looks parched
and hasn't reacted to having a good drink ...

Old 20-05-2020, 01:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Andy Burns wrote:
Ian Jackson wrote:

it been SO dry lately, and a lot of the garden plants need the occasional
drink.

Think I've killed my second cordyline in 2 years, first one I think I
overwatered, determined not to make the same mistake again, I only
watered the replacement sparingly, but all of a sudden it looks parched
and hasn't reacted to having a good drink ...

A lot of the cause of such things is that stress allows root rots
to get a hold, and then the plant will die no matter what you do.
In my experience, 'correct' watering only reduces the risk of that,
but difficult weather increases it, watering or no. I have several
in my soil, one of which makes it impossible to grow several plants.

The one(s) that attack germinating seeds are extremely annoying, and
what I have learnt by trial and error still doesn't enable me to get
a decent emergence rate for the umbelliferae (e.g. carrots and parsley)
out of doors - and they don't transplant well :-(

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 20-05-2020, 02:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Nick Maclaren wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

Think I've killed my second cordyline in 2 years, first one I think I
overwatered, determined not to make the same mistake again, I only
watered the replacement sparingly, but all of a sudden it looks parched
and hasn't reacted to having a good drink ...

A lot of the cause of such things is that stress allows root rots
to get a hold, and then the plant will die no matter what you do.

I think this one has probably got that point, if it was a couple of
months earlier, I might have followed some of the "chop it off at the
knees" advice and let it re-sprout, suppose not too much to lose by
trying that now, but if it's the roots it probably won't help it ... or
I can just buy another one when Homebase have them on clearance!