Old 22-05-2020, 03:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Clematis problem!

Yesterday the flowers were very perky. We've had some really strong
winds today. I went out to water and noticed that some of clematis
flowers are wilting. Not all them are wilting just a few. Photo:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/u0bx7l3l9z...s_222.jpg?dl=0

Could it be the wind? The leaves look healthy enough.
--
I'm a sew and sow!
Old 22-05-2020, 04:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 22/05/20 14:58, Primrose wrote:
Yesterday the flowers were very perky. We've had some really strong
winds today. I went out to water and noticed that some of clematis
flowers are wilting. Not all them are wilting just a few. Photo:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/u0bx7l3l9z...s_222.jpg?dl=0

Could it be the wind? The leaves look healthy enough.

You can always give it some water to see if that helps. But in my
non-expert opinion, any sudden wilt on a clematis, particularly at this
time of the year, is almost diagnostic of clematis wilt even if the
leaves haven't (yet) wilted.

--

Jeff
Old 22-05-2020, 04:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Jeff Layman
writes
On 22/05/20 14:58, Primrose wrote:
Yesterday the flowers were very perky. We've had some really strong
winds today. I went out to water and noticed that some of clematis
flowers are wilting. Not all them are wilting just a few. Photo:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/u0bx7l3l9z...s_222.jpg?dl=0
Could it be the wind? The leaves look healthy enough.

You can always give it some water to see if that helps. But in my
non-expert opinion, any sudden wilt on a clematis, particularly at this
time of the year, is almost diagnostic of clematis wilt even if the
leaves haven't (yet) wilted.

It's possible that the combination of a hot sun and a strong wind is
having the same effect as a hot-air gun. Even though it's the wrong time
of day to do it, I've been out with the hosepipe.
--
Ian
Old 22-05-2020, 04:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 22/05/2020 15:26, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Fri, 22 May 2020 14:58:59 +0100, Primrose wrote:

Yesterday the flowers were very perky. We've had some really strong
winds today. I went out to water and noticed that some of clematis
flowers are wilting. Not all them are wilting just a few. Photo:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/u0bx7l3l9z...s_222.jpg?dl=0

Could it be the wind? The leaves look healthy enough.

Possibly wind; possibly dry at the roots (have you been watering it
regularly recently? Too much?); possibly clematis wilt (or as a
colleague used to say 'clematis wont').
https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=125

Thanks for your reply, I have been out again and it looks like the
damaged flowers are directly in the wind the other side of the plants
are fine. I suppose I could find them all wilted tomorrow.

I just check to see if the soil is dry by digging my fingers into it.

--
I'm a sew and sow!
Old 22-05-2020, 04:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 22/05/2020 15:27, Jeff Layman wrote:
On 22/05/20 14:58, Primrose wrote:
Yesterday the flowers were very perky.Â* We've had some really strong
winds today.Â* I went out to water and noticed that some of clematis
flowers are wilting.Â* Not all them are wilting just a few.Â* Photo:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/u0bx7l3l9z...s_222.jpg?dl=0

Could it be the wind?Â* The leaves look healthy enough.

You can always give it some water to see if that helps. But in my
non-expert opinion, any sudden wilt on a clematis, particularly at this
time of the year, is almost diagnostic of clematis wilt even if the
leaves haven't (yet) wilted.

Thank you, I assume that the plants I ordered last October must have had
the disease.

--
I'm a sew and sow!

Old 22-05-2020, 04:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 22/05/2020 15:35, Ian Jackson wrote:
In message , Jeff Layman
writes
On 22/05/20 14:58, Primrose wrote:
Yesterday the flowers were very perky.Â* We've had some really strong
winds today.Â* I went out to water and noticed that some of clematis
flowers are wilting.Â* Not all them are wilting just a few.Â* Photo:
Â*https://www.dropbox.com/s/u0bx7l3l9z...s_222.jpg?dl=0
Â*Could it be the wind?Â* The leaves look healthy enough.

You can always give it some water to see if that helps. But in my
non-expert opinion, any sudden wilt on a clematis, particularly at
this time of the year, is almost diagnostic of clematis wilt even if
the leaves haven't (yet) wilted.

It's possible that the combination of a hot sun and a strong wind is
having the same effect as a hot-air gun. Even though it's the wrong time
of day to do it, I've been out with the hosepipe.

It can certainly get very hot in the garden, South-West. I have given
it some more water. I must admit that one side was dryer than the other.

Thank you.

--
I'm a sew and sow!
Old 22-05-2020, 08:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 22/05/20 15:48, Primrose wrote:
On 22/05/2020 15:27, Jeff Layman wrote:
On 22/05/20 14:58, Primrose wrote:
Yesterday the flowers were very perky.Â* We've had some really strong
winds today.Â* I went out to water and noticed that some of clematis
flowers are wilting.Â* Not all them are wilting just a few.Â* Photo:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/u0bx7l3l9z...s_222.jpg?dl=0

Could it be the wind?Â* The leaves look healthy enough.

You can always give it some water to see if that helps. But in my
non-expert opinion, any sudden wilt on a clematis, particularly at this
time of the year, is almost diagnostic of clematis wilt even if the
leaves haven't (yet) wilted.

Thank you, I assume that the plants I ordered last October must have had
the disease.

Not necessarily; in fact it probably very unlikely.

From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phoma_clematidina#Disease_development:
"When spores of Phoma clematidina land on a leaf of a susceptible plant
under the right environmental conditions (moisture, temperature 15 to 25
°C), they will germinate within 6 hours and infect leaf tissues directly
or via leaf hairs. "

If your plant is still alive on Sunday then it hasn't got clematis wilt.
Even if it has, and you cut it off at ground level, it will recover. I
posted here two weeks ago "Clematis wilt - early this year" that my C.
viticella 'Margot Koster' had got wilt and I had pruned it to ground
level. I just checked, and it has a new shoot about 25 cm high.
Remarkably, it looks as though the top bud will be a flower rather than
a leaf.

--

Jeff
Old 23-05-2020, 11:39 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 22/05/2020 19:06, Jeff Layman wrote:
Snipped

Thank you, I assume that the plants I ordered last October must have had
the disease.

Not necessarily; in fact it probably very unlikely.

From
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phoma_clematidina#Disease_development:
"When spores of Phoma clematidina land on a leaf of a susceptible plant
under the right environmental conditions (moisture, temperature 15 to 25
°C), they will germinate within 6 hours and infect leaf tissues directly
or via leaf hairs. "

If your plant is still alive on Sunday then it hasn't got clematis wilt.
Even if it has, and you cut it off at ground level, it will recover. I
posted here two weeks ago "Clematis wilt - early this year" that my C.
viticella 'Margot Koster' had got wilt and I had pruned it to ground
level. I just checked, and it has a new shoot about 25 cm high.
Remarkably, it looks as though the top bud will be a flower rather than
a leaf.

Thank you for your advice. I've just checked again this morning, all
the flowers and leaves on one side are fine. I am wondering now whether
the wind snapped one of the stems. Maybe I'm just living in hopes!;-)
--
I'm a sew and sow!
Old 23-05-2020, 12:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Primrose wrote:

Thank you for your advice. I've just checked again this morning, all
the flowers and leaves on one side are fine. I am wondering now whether
the wind snapped one of the stems. Maybe I'm just living in hopes!;-)

Slugs and snails can eat through clematis stems, too.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.