GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Hedgehogs (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/216978-hedgehogs.html)

D.M. Procida 30-05-2020 03:12 PM

Hedgehogs

Around here, there are some parks with plenty of hedgehogs in them.
Unfortunately the roads around the parks have many hedgehogs in them
too, which I normally find dead.

Our garden would be ideal for hedgehogs (full of slugs, secret shady
corners, sheltered places), but none have ever made their way in.

The other night I watched a hedgehog make a perilous trip across the
suburban road and felt quite tempted to adopt it. But, I don't want to
disturb wildlife, or mess about with things I don't know.

Maybe you have some advice or knowledge.

Thanks,

Daniele

Charlie Pridham[_2_] 30-05-2020 06:32 PM

Hedgehogs

On 30/05/2020 17:00, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Sat, 30 May 2020 14:12:05 +0100,
(D.M. Procida) wrote:

Around here, there are some parks with plenty of hedgehogs in them.
Unfortunately the roads around the parks have many hedgehogs in them
too, which I normally find dead.

Our garden would be ideal for hedgehogs (full of slugs, secret shady
corners, sheltered places), but none have ever made their way in.

The other night I watched a hedgehog make a perilous trip across the
suburban road and felt quite tempted to adopt it. But, I don't want to
disturb wildlife, or mess about with things I don't know.

Maybe you have some advice or knowledge.

Thanks,

Daniele

What's the access like to your garden for hedgehogs? Is it surrounded
by impenetrable wooden fencing, or are there plenty of holes and gaps
for them to get in? No gaps = no hedgehogs! Or perhaps you have a cat
or dog that has frightened them off.

Add to that they have a huge range and thats why so many of them come a
cropper on the roads, Its unlikely you would get to keep your Hedgehog
for very long, Sometimes we have the sows nest here and then the family
will be around for a few weeks until the young go their separate ways
its a shame we dont build more roads with culverts under.

They seem remarkably tolerant of our various dogs including the one who
used to bring them in in his mouth, making a stupid noise and bleeding
but so pleased to have found one! They also on occasion used the cat
flap to access the dogs bowl of food which for some reason the dog found
terrifying and wouldnt go in the kitchen.

--
Charlie Pridham
Gardening in Cornwall

D.M. Procida 30-05-2020 06:48 PM

Hedgehogs

(D.M. Procida) wrote:

Around here, there are some parks with plenty of hedgehogs in them.
Unfortunately the roads around the parks have many hedgehogs in them
too, which I normally find dead.

Our garden would be ideal for hedgehogs (full of slugs, secret shady
corners, sheltered places), but none have ever made their way in.

The other night I watched a hedgehog make a perilous trip across the
suburban road and felt quite tempted to adopt it. But, I don't want to
disturb wildlife, or mess about with things I don't know.

What's the access like to your garden for hedgehogs? Is it surrounded
by impenetrable wooden fencing, or are there plenty of holes and gaps
for them to get in? No gaps = no hedgehogs! Or perhaps you have a cat
or dog that has frightened them off.

The only access is via a passageway which leads to the front, and a
suburban street on which every household seems to have two if not three
cars.

I read that hedgehogs like to wander about for hours at night and cover
long distances for such short legs. If they were coming and going for
long walks, I don't think our garden would be an ideal base sadly.

Daniele