GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Where are all the ladybirds? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/216991-where-all-ladybirds.html)

Vir Campestris 02-06-2020 08:57 PM

Where are all the ladybirds?

We've got lots of greenfly on our roses. Far more than usual.

Then it occurred to me - I've seen no ladybirds, no hoverflies, and very
few lacewings.

Is everyone else seeing this?

(I've had to use soapy water on the greenfly. I don't normally have to
bother.)

Andy

Jeff Layman[_2_] 02-06-2020 09:19 PM

Where are all the ladybirds?

On 02/06/20 20:57, Vir Campestris wrote:
We've got lots of greenfly on our roses. Far more than usual.

Then it occurred to me - I've seen no ladybirds, no hoverflies, and very
few lacewings.

Is everyone else seeing this?

(I've had to use soapy water on the greenfly. I don't normally have to
bother.)

I also have loads of greenfly on the roses. I've seen a couple of
ladybirds, but not near the roses. Can't say I've seen any hoverflies or
lacewings, but I haven't been looking for them either.

I washed all the greenfly off with a jet or water from the hose a couple
of days ago, but lots are back. Quite a few blackfly around as well on a
Pittosprum tobira.

--

Jeff

Bob Hobden[_6_] 02-06-2020 11:07 PM

Where are all the ladybirds?

On 2 Jun 2020 20:57, Vir Campestris wrote:
We've got lots of greenfly on our roses. Far more than usual.

Then it occurred to me - I've seen no ladybirds, no hoverflies, and very
few lacewings.

Is everyone else seeing this?

(I've had to use soapy water on the greenfly. I don't normally have to
bother.)

Seen loads on our allotment. Strangely all walking about on the ground.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Primrose 03-06-2020 03:33 PM

Where are all the ladybirds?

On 02/06/2020 20:57, Vir Campestris wrote:
We've got lots of greenfly on our roses. Far more than usual.

Then it occurred to me - I've seen no ladybirds, no hoverflies, and very
few lacewings.

Is everyone else seeing this?

(I've had to use soapy water on the greenfly. I don't normally have to
bother.)

Andy

I usually get hundreds of ladybird larvae on my Privets around late
April but I haven't seen one this year.

--
I'm a sew and sow!

Nick Maclaren[_5_] 03-06-2020 05:26 PM

Where are all the ladybirds?

In article , Primrose wrote:

I usually get hundreds of ladybird larvae on my Privets around late
April but I haven't seen one this year.

I was picking broad bean tops just a moment ago, found one, and put
it back.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.