Old 02-06-2020, 09:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Where are all the ladybirds?

We've got lots of greenfly on our roses. Far more than usual.

Then it occurred to me - I've seen no ladybirds, no hoverflies, and very
few lacewings.

Is everyone else seeing this?

(I've had to use soapy water on the greenfly. I don't normally have to
bother.)

Andy
Old 02-06-2020, 10:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 02/06/20 20:57, Vir Campestris wrote:
We've got lots of greenfly on our roses. Far more than usual.

Then it occurred to me - I've seen no ladybirds, no hoverflies, and very
few lacewings.

Is everyone else seeing this?

(I've had to use soapy water on the greenfly. I don't normally have to
bother.)

I also have loads of greenfly on the roses. I've seen a couple of
ladybirds, but not near the roses. Can't say I've seen any hoverflies or
lacewings, but I haven't been looking for them either.

I washed all the greenfly off with a jet or water from the hose a couple
of days ago, but lots are back. Quite a few blackfly around as well on a
Pittosprum tobira.

--

Jeff
Old 03-06-2020, 12:07 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2 Jun 2020 20:57, Vir Campestris wrote:
We've got lots of greenfly on our roses. Far more than usual.

Then it occurred to me - I've seen no ladybirds, no hoverflies, and very
few lacewings.

Is everyone else seeing this?

(I've had to use soapy water on the greenfly. I don't normally have to
bother.)

Seen loads on our allotment. Strangely all walking about on the ground.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden
Old 03-06-2020, 04:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 02/06/2020 20:57, Vir Campestris wrote:
We've got lots of greenfly on our roses. Far more than usual.

Then it occurred to me - I've seen no ladybirds, no hoverflies, and very
few lacewings.

Is everyone else seeing this?

(I've had to use soapy water on the greenfly. I don't normally have to
bother.)

Andy

I usually get hundreds of ladybird larvae on my Privets around late
April but I haven't seen one this year.

--
I'm a sew and sow!
Old 03-06-2020, 06:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Primrose wrote:

I usually get hundreds of ladybird larvae on my Privets around late
April but I haven't seen one this year.

I was picking broad bean tops just a moment ago, found one, and put
it back.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Ladybirds Troy United Kingdom 32 27-03-2005 11:55 PM
Ladybirds galore Pam Morris United Kingdom 2 27-03-2005 11:50 AM
Greenfly / Ladybirds JennyC United Kingdom 7 16-05-2004 02:11 PM
Ladybirds Troy United Kingdom 2 18-04-2004 06:07 AM
where are all the ladybirds? Pickle United Kingdom 6 08-07-2003 07:32 AM