Old 08-06-2020, 07:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Plant two seeds and discard the weaker plant after germination?

Plant two seeds and discard the weaker plant after germination.

I see this kind of advice all the time, and I have no doubt it is a
sensible approach to reliable germination.

However I find it very hard to do this - it seems like a waste of a
growing plant.
There is the strong temptation to lift the weaker plant and find somewhere
to slot it in elsewhere.

I have a similar problem with tomatoes.
If I am diligent I pinch out the little side shoots as they start
developing.
However if I miss one and it manages to grow to a thumb length or more I
tend to cut it off then plant it up in a little pot.
The cutting nearly always takes and then I have a load of extra tomato
plants I have to find a home for.
Before now I have completely filled a patio with plants from a single
parent.

I've stopped doing that now mainly because of the blight which made
growing outdoor tomatoes more or less a waste of time.
Fortunately I have a covered in deck area where the plants are sheltered
from the rain and don't seem to get blighted.

However I do have a few extra propagated plants......

Cheers

Dave R