Old 08-06-2020, 11:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Mail Order Seed suppliers?

Hi,
Any recommendations? I would like to have a go at a few varieties of
chillies next year, but apart from that I have no real plans.

Any flowere/ vegetable seed supplier recomendations, or is Amazon and
Ebay the best solution?

I did buy a few Ebay Chinese seed batches, but was a little
dissapointed. Having said that, I couldn't plant them the year they
were supplied, so maybe that was the problem.

Thanks for reading.

AB
From the well pummelled keyboard of Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp Esq
Old 09-06-2020, 09:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp Esq" wrote in message
news
www.kingsseeds.com
www.kingsseeds.com are good and much used by allotment folk.

Old 09-06-2020, 09:48 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 8 Jun 2020 22:38, Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp Esq wrote:

Hi,
Any recommendations? I would like to have a go at a few varieties of
chillies next year, but apart from that I have no real plans.

Any flowere/ vegetable seed supplier recomendations, or is Amazon and
Ebay the best solution?

I did buy a few Ebay Chinese seed batches, but was a little
dissapointed. Having said that, I couldn't plant them the year they
were supplied, so maybe that was the problem.

Thanks for reading.

AB
From the well pummelled keyboard of Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp Esq

https://www.chileseeds.co.uk/ (not used these yet)

https://www.nickys-nursery.co.uk/ (have used these, good)

https://www.simpsonsseeds.co.uk/ (Also used these, good)

For heritage varieties, good for the home grower try
http://www.thomasetty.co.uk/ (used these, good)

https://edwintucker.co.uk/seeds/garden-seeds/ (heard good reports on
these)

--
Regards
Bob Hobden
Old 09-06-2020, 11:30 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Bob Hobden wrote:

https://www.chileseeds.co.uk/ (not used these yet)

https://www.nickys-nursery.co.uk/ (have used these, good)

https://www.simpsonsseeds.co.uk/ (Also used these, good)

For heritage varieties, good for the home grower try
http://www.thomasetty.co.uk/ (used these, good)

Try also https://seedsofitaly.com/, which generally have much larger
packets (useful for me), and http://www.realseeds.co.uk/ for more
heritage varieties (my experience with Thomas Etty has not been very
good). I also use King seeds, Unwins and more, but I do tend to
want specific, non-mainstream varieties of a couple of dozen types
of vegetable and herb.

https://edwintucker.co.uk/seeds/garden-seeds/ (heard good reports on
these)

They are no longer trading, unfortunately. The only supplier of seeds
in bulk I have found is https://www.wholesale.molesseeds.co.uk/, but
their germination is patchy - however, with enough seeds, that's not
a major problem.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 09-06-2020, 08:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 08 Jun 2020 22:38:00 +0100, Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp Esq
wrote:

Hi,
Any recommendations? I would like to have a go at a few varieties of
chillies next year, but apart from that I have no real plans.

Any flowere/ vegetable seed supplier recomendations, or is Amazon and
Ebay the best solution?

I did buy a few Ebay Chinese seed batches, but was a little
dissapointed. Having said that, I couldn't plant them the year they were
supplied, so maybe that was the problem.

Thanks for reading.

AB From the well pummelled keyboard of Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp Esq

https://www.dtbrownseeds.co.uk/

Only used them once so far but they seem fine.

Cheers

Dave R

Old 09-06-2020, 11:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 08/06/2020 22:38, Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp Esq wrote:

I did buy a few Ebay Chinese seed batches, but was a little
dissapointed. Having said that, I couldn't plant them the year they
were supplied, so maybe that was the problem.

I'm now sure that seeds coming from China are the most common of the
weeds they can harvest

Much like the pictures of multi-colour rose flower heads that requires a
few cans of spray paint to get the final result.

Old 10-06-2020, 01:58 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 09/06/2020 22:24, alan_m wrote:
On 08/06/2020 22:38, Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp Esq wrote:

I did buy a few Ebay Chinese seed batches, but was a little
dissapointed. Having said that, I couldn't plant them the year they
were supplied, so maybe that was the problem.

I'm now sure that seeds coming from China are the most common of the
weeds they can harvest

Much like the pictures of multi-colour rose flower heads that requires a
few cans of spray paint to get the final result.

I've had some good stuff from Chinese seeds, have a few packets here now
to sow.
Old 10-06-2020, 02:31 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 10 Jun 2020 00:58:21 +0100, David Hill
wrote:

On 09/06/2020 22:24, alan_m wrote:
On 08/06/2020 22:38, Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp Esq wrote:

I did buy a few Ebay Chinese seed batches, but was a little
dissapointed. Having said that, I couldn't plant them the year they
were supplied, so maybe that was the problem.

I'm now sure that seeds coming from China are the most common of the
weeds they can harvest

Much like the pictures of multi-colour rose flower heads that requires a
few cans of spray paint to get the final result.

I've had some good stuff from Chinese seeds, have a few packets here now
to sow.

Many thanks to all who replied.

I am still in lockdown and am planning next years escapade a little
more systematically than the fish a packet or two from the old Ebay
collection approach.

I saw the ads for the harlequin flavoured rose, they didn't look like
anything that could evolve in any kind of natural environment.

I have two containers of rocket that I have been supplementing the odd
meal with for the last couple of weeks. Chinese, and I assumed that
despite the leaf appearance being nothing like rocket. The sheer
quantity and the fact that the compost was fresh, gave me confidence
that it was what it said on the seed pack.

I found some small plants that actually have rocket like leaves under
the masses of green foliage.

I am wondering what I have actually been dining on this last two weeks
:-(

As I said with the ones that were reluctant to germinate, the seeds
might have just been too old, but I have no experience of gardening
and I appreciate any guidance.

My slugs have an insatiable appetite and tend towards an a la carte
type diet :-(

They seem to have left my "rocket" alone incidentally.

AB
From the well pummelled keyboard of Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp Esq
Old 10-06-2020, 09:21 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 10/06/2020 00:58, David Hill wrote:
On 09/06/2020 22:24, alan_m wrote:
On 08/06/2020 22:38, Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp Esq wrote:

I did buy a few Ebay Chinese seed batches, but was a little
dissapointed. Having said that, I couldn't plant them the year they
were supplied, so maybe that was the problem.

I'm now sure that seeds coming from China are the most common of the
weeds they can harvest

Much like the pictures of multi-colour rose flower heads that requires
a few cans of spray paint to get the final result.

I've had some good stuff from Chinese seeds, have a few packets here now
to sow.

Not my experience! However, many of the Chinese sellers were also
pretending to be UK supplier with UK stock. I made the mistake of not
checking the business addresses in their listings.

Over the past few years I've also had poor service from some of the
better known UK suppliers with shrubs. Ordered a variety and had them
turn up in good time with a label confirming variety. A year on and the
planted shrubs are showing their true colours (pun intended) and its not
what I ordered. It's not a disaster and I can live with it but it shows
poor stock control.

In previous years I've also had poor quality plug plants from some of
the bigger well known suppliers. So much so that I started to use (at
random) some of the UK smaller outfits that advertise on Ebay and found
what I received were, in general, better quality - more growth and
faster delivery. This year for obvious reasons I haven't bothered with
live plants through the post in case they were delivered by Royal Mail
or Parcel Farce which were taking a week with their 48 hour service.