GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Keeping cows at bay (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/21701-keeping-cows-bay.html)

Tom 10-05-2003 08:20 PM

Keeping cows at bay

Hi everyone

My garden is in Southern Scotland
I've got a laurel hedge between my garden and a field where the farmer keeps
cows. I've been told that laurel is poisonous to cows, so I keep a fine mesh
net to protect the laurel. As a longer term measure, I'm growing holly
between the laurel and the field, but I'm worried that the cows will eat the
holly until it matures
a bit. As a temporary measure, I've sprayed the holly and surrounding area
with a water, detergent and paraffin (gasoline?) mixture.
Does anyone know if the spray will work, or is there a more effective
mixture which the cows hate but won't harm them?

Tom

Barry & Iris McCanna 10-05-2003 08:32 PM

Keeping cows at bay

"Tom" wrote in message
Hi everyone

My garden is in Southern Scotland
I've got a laurel hedge between my garden and a field where the

farmer keeps
cows. I've been told that laurel is poisonous to cows, so I keep a

fine mesh
net to protect the laurel. As a longer term measure, I'm growing

holly
between the laurel and the field, but I'm worried that the cows will

eat the
holly until it matures
a bit. As a temporary measure, I've sprayed the holly and

surrounding area
with a water, detergent and paraffin (gasoline?) mixture.
Does anyone know if the spray will work, or is there a more

effective
mixture which the cows hate but won't harm them?

Tom

Tom,

We also have cows over our boundary. I didn't think laurels were
poisonous to them. Our farmer neighbour has huge laurels, as do we.
He has cut his as a shelter with a drinking trough underneath. The
cows eat both his laurels and ours with no ill effects. They seem to
love it!

Regards
Iris McCanna

Peter Crosland 10-05-2003 10:44 PM

Keeping cows at bay

The only realistic answer is a proper stock proof fence. Obviously the
drawback is cost. You could consider a blackthorn hedge but it need years to
mature.