Old 10-06-2020, 09:55 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Rain/Grey Water System

I installed one ten years ago (or so). Went under some building work. Used
tables, (I think) from government. Useless. At the time, Owen Patterson
was the minister. I wonder if they are trying to pretend our weather is not
changing. Anyway, if you are thinking of doing this, much larger capacity
is required. Please do not ask me how much, but I do know that my system is
of very limited help and that annoys me as when I had the digger out I could
easily have put in larger tanks at negligible marginal cost. Grrr.

Just wanted to get that off my chest, not least because I feel guilty about
using mains water to water my garden.

Bill Davy

PS What news reader do people recommend for Windows 10 on a laptop? Does
not need to do email. WLM is barely usable.

Old 10-06-2020, 10:35 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 10/06/20 08:55, Bill Davy wrote:
I installed one ten years ago (or so). Went under some building work. Used
tables, (I think) from government. Useless. At the time, Owen Patterson
was the minister. I wonder if they are trying to pretend our weather is not
changing. Anyway, if you are thinking of doing this, much larger capacity
is required. Please do not ask me how much, but I do know that my system is
of very limited help and that annoys me as when I had the digger out I could
easily have put in larger tanks at negligible marginal cost. Grrr.

Just wanted to get that off my chest, not least because I feel guilty about
using mains water to water my garden.

I've often thought about doing that, but reckoned the 30000 litre
(minimum) size was rather a lot of spoil to get rid off. I also didn't
want it near the house as we are on clay and there had already been a
subsidence problem. And now we don't have access other than for a mini
digger, it would be a much longer job. Large plastic surface tanks are
available, but they are big and unsightly IMHO. And, of course, trying
to get something that big into a back garden is not easy!

One thing I didn't think of was what happens if the water goes "off".
I've used water butts to store rainwater for many years. This year, for
the first time ever, I've had three of them go anaerobic, apparently due
to residue washed in from the gutters (leaves, moss, seeds, etc). One in
particular stunk of hydrogen sulphide! A couple of others just didn't
smell right. I've emptied them and cleaned them out. I guess the water
would have been ok if allowed to breathe and the H2S could escape.

How do you clean an underground rain/grey water tank if their is a problem?

Bill Davy

PS What news reader do people recommend for Windows 10 on a laptop? Does
not need to do email. WLM is barely usable.

I've used Thunderbird for years. First on Windows 7, now on Linux Mint.
It does the job for me. Looking at people's posting headers, it seems
many use it under Windows 10.

--

Jeff
Old 10-06-2020, 12:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 10/06/2020 09:35, Jeff Layman wrote:
On 10/06/20 08:55, Bill Davy wrote:

PS What news reader do people recommend for Windows 10 on a laptop?Â* Does
not need to do email.Â* WLM is barely usable.

I've used Thunderbird for years. First on Windows 7, now on Linux Mint.
It does the job for me. Looking at people's posting headers, it seems
many use it under Windows 10.

Though I don't do Windows systems (except for 1 solitary system at
work), I would second Jeff's recommendation for Thunderbird. Been
using it for *many* years.

https://www.thunderbird.net/en-GB/download/

Old 10-06-2020, 04:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 10/06/2020 09:35, Jeff Layman wrote:
On 10/06/20 08:55, Bill Davy wrote:
I installed one ten years ago (or so).Â* Went under some building
work.Â* Used
tables, (I think) from government.Â* Useless.Â* At the time, Owen Patterson
was the minister.Â* I wonder if they are trying to pretend our weather
is not
changing.Â* Anyway, if you are thinking of doing this, much larger
capacity
is required.Â* Please do not ask me how much, but I do know that my
system is
of very limited help and that annoys me as when I had the digger out I
could
easily have put in larger tanks at negligible marginal cost.Â* Grrr.

[...]

Water has never gone off but it is only used for washing machine,
toilets, and garden hose, never for personal washing, dishwasher, or
kitchen. There is a coarse sieve on the inlet, and it is designed so
water flows acroos the sieve so that may help keep bad things out.

Just installed Thunderbird so we shall see how this goes. Later I shall
look for a spilling checker.
Old 10-06-2020, 05:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 10/06/20 15:59, Bill Davy wrote:

Just installed Thunderbird so we shall see how this goes. Later I shall
look for a spilling checker.

:-)

There is one build-in to TB. You also have the option of adding words to
a personal dictionary which is checked along with the built-in one when
you are sending a message.

--

Jeff

Old 10-06-2020, 08:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 10/06/20 16:36, Jeff Layman wrote:
On 10/06/20 15:59, Bill Davy wrote:

Just installed Thunderbird so we shall see how this goes. Later I shall
look for a spilling checker.

:-)

There is one build-in to TB. ^

There is one built-in...

....but it doesn't pick up that sort of thing!!! :-)))

--

Jeff
Old 11-06-2020, 12:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 10 Jun 2020 11:56:32 +0100, Roy Omond wrote:

On 10/06/2020 09:35, Jeff Layman wrote:
On 10/06/20 08:55, Bill Davy wrote:

PS What news reader do people recommend for Windows 10 on a laptop?Â*
Does not need to do email.Â* WLM is barely usable.

I've used Thunderbird for years. First on Windows 7, now on Linux Mint.
It does the job for me. Looking at people's posting headers, it seems
many use it under Windows 10.

Though I don't do Windows systems (except for 1 solitary system at
work), I would second Jeff's recommendation for Thunderbird. Been using
it for *many* years.

https://www.thunderbird.net/en-GB/download/

I am using Pan (windows and Linux) because it gives a similar presentation
to WLM.

I can't seem to get Thunderbird news reader to show three panes, one for
NGs, one for threads within the NG, and a third window for the text of the
post.

I can't seem to get it to display a message window for email when I open
the email which allows me to click on next/previous message either.
Probably not just hit on the magic formula.

Noting that for email I don't use the message pane because that
automatically opens the message and I like to be able to check for nasties
before opening anything.

Anyway, Pan seems to work.

Cheers

Dave R

Old 11-06-2020, 01:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 11/06/20 11:25, David wrote:
[...]

I have the three panes showing. In View | Layout I have the following
checked:
Classic View
Folder Pane
Message Pane

What is checked in your TB?

Old 11-06-2020, 06:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 10 Jun 2020 08:55, "Bill Davy" wrote:
I installed one ten years ago (or so). Went under some building work. Used
tables, (I think) from government. Useless. At the time, Owen Patterson
was the minister. I wonder if they are trying to pretend our weather is not
changing. Anyway, if you are thinking of doing this, much larger capacity
is required. Please do not ask me how much, but I do know that my system is
of very limited help and that annoys me as when I had the digger out I could
easily have put in larger tanks at negligible marginal cost. Grrr.

Just wanted to get that off my chest, not least because I feel guilty about
using mains water to water my garden.

Bill Davy

PS What news reader do people recommend for Windows 10 on a laptop? Does
not need to do email. WLM is barely usable.

Bill, I am using a News Reader app called NewsgroupsRT, seems to work
OK. For mail I'm using Mozilla Thunderbird. Cannot stand the Mail
client program on Win10.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden
Old 11-06-2020, 11:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Jeff Layman wrote:

How do you clean an underground rain/grey water tank if their is a problem?

I had wondered about using IBC containers as they seemed to provide
greater storage than traditional water buts, for a given cost. However
without any large opening I could see no way to clean them out when
necessary - other than by using a large amount of water - which rather
defeated the object!

One issue with underground storage (apart from digging out the hole and
disposing of the spoil) is that if you have a high water table, they may
float out of the ground as they empty...

James

Old 12-06-2020, 12:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 11 Jun 2020 12:34:58 +0100, Jeff Layman wrote:

On 11/06/20 11:25, David wrote:
[...]

snip

Classic view and Folder pane.
As I said, I don't have Message Pane enabled because that opens the
message before I have checked it.

Don't have NG configured on this PC, will check on the one I tried
Thunderbird News Reader on.

Cheers

Dave R

Old 12-06-2020, 12:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 12/06/20 11:34, Chris Hogg wrote:
On 12 Jun 2020 10:15:49 GMT, David wrote:

On Thu, 11 Jun 2020 12:34:58 +0100, Jeff Layman wrote:

I can't seem to get Thunderbird news reader to show three panes, one
for NGs, one for threads within the NG, and a third window for the text
of the post.

I have the three panes showing. In View | Layout I have the following
checked:
Classic View Folder Pane Message Pane

What is checked in your TB?

snip

Classic view and Folder pane.
As I said, I don't have Message Pane enabled because that opens the
message before I have checked it.

Don't have NG configured on this PC, will check on the one I tried
Thunderbird News Reader on.

Cheers

Dave R

Does malware actually occur within a news message itself? I thought
only attachments could contain malware, which, if true, means you're
being over-cautious.

There was an issue with Outlook ages ago, but that was fixed. With plain
text emails there is no problem. There is a discussion of the whole
issue he
https://askleo.com/can-really-get-malware-just-looking-email/

--

Jeff