Old 10-06-2020, 11:50 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Plant ID

What is this is coming up with a /Geum triflorum/ bought last year? It
looks familiar, but I can't put my finger on it. It's the plant with the
serrated leaf at the top (the geum is at the bottom). It is also herbaceous.
https://ibb.co/fMCTdYm

Ideas or suggestions, please. The geum came from Edulis, so the other
plant could be something quite strange! I looked through their website
recently but didn't see it. Mind you, they don't show the geum either now!

--

Jeff
Old 10-06-2020, 01:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 10/06/2020 10:50, Jeff Layman wrote:
What is this is coming up with a /Geum triflorum/ bought last year? It
looks familiar, but I can't put my finger on it. It's the plant with the
serrated leaf at the top (the geum is at the bottom). It is also
herbaceous.
https://ibb.co/fMCTdYm

Ideas or suggestions, please. The geum came from Edulis, so the other
plant could be something quite strange! I looked through their website
recently but didn't see it. Mind you, they don't show the geum either now!

Either Poterium or Sanguisorba. Of the British species the number of
leaflets fits Poterium sanguisorba (salad burnet) rather than
Sanguisorba officinalis (great burnet), but there are other Sanguisorba
species grown as ornamentals that it could be - Sanguisorba canadensis
(white burnet) even gets a mention in British floras as sometimes
naturalised (mostly in Scotland).

--
SRH
Old 10-06-2020, 02:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 10/06/20 12:40, Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:
[...]

Thanks for that - I'm sure you are right and it's a Sanguisorba of some
sort. I think those you mention have leaves which are somewhat too
rounded for my plant - even /S. canadensis/. The problem is that Edulis
lists 13 types of Sanguisorba, and most of those are not illustrated or
the photos show only the flower. It will no doubt be a lot easier when
the plant flowers.

Rather amusingly, by looking at the Edulis description of /S. caucasica/
a few minutes ago it suddenly reminded my of what I thought was familiar
(if wrongly so!) in my OP: "Wonderful Melianthus-like blue-grey
foliage...". I have /Melianthus major/ in flower at the moment!

--

Jeff