GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Poor roses this year (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/217022-poor-roses-year.html)

Broadback[_3_] 14-06-2020 09:39 AM

Poor roses this year

Residing in the low ground of North Staffordshire i have a variety of
roses, usually they give a good show, but not this year. The buds are
meagre, then they do not open well. Is it my bad lucj]k or is it more
general?

David Rance[_3_] 14-06-2020 09:45 AM

Poor roses this year

On Sun, 14 Jun 2020 09:39:46 Broadback wrote:

Residing in the low ground of North Staffordshire i have a variety of
roses, usually they give a good show, but not this year. The buds are
meagre, then they do not open well. Is it my bad lucj]k or is it more
general?

No problem here in Berkshire. I have an unusually good show of blooms.

David

Jim S 14-06-2020 10:44 AM

Poor roses this year

In article ,
says...

Residing in the low ground of North Staffordshire i have a variety of
roses, usually they give a good show, but not this year. The buds are
meagre, then they do not open well. Is it my bad lucj]k or is it more
general?

Not good here in the NE.
Slow to bud and some blind shoots.
The best one is a houseplant gift I planted out afterwards.

--
Jim S

Broadback[_3_] 14-06-2020 11:10 AM

Poor roses this year

On 14/06/2020 09:45, David Rance wrote:
On Sun, 14 Jun 2020 09:39:46 Broadback wrote:

Residing in the low ground of North Staffordshire i have a variety of
roses, usually they give a good show, but not this year. The buds are
meagre, then they do not open well. Is it my bad lucj]k or is it more
general?

No problem here in Berkshire. I have an unusually good show of blooms.

David

Oh David, you have just depressed me! ;-)

Jeff Layman[_2_] 14-06-2020 11:27 AM

Poor roses this year

On 14/06/20 11:10, Broadback wrote:
On 14/06/2020 09:45, David Rance wrote:
On Sun, 14 Jun 2020 09:39:46 Broadback wrote:

Residing in the low ground of North Staffordshire i have a variety of
roses, usually they give a good show, but not this year. The buds are
meagre, then they do not open well. Is it my bad lucj]k or is it more
general?

No problem here in Berkshire. I have an unusually good show of blooms.

David

Oh David, you have just depressed me! ;-)

They have been excellent here in south Hampshire, and very early, too.
We've already had three flowers on "Deep Secret", and there are another
15 buds waiting to open.

--

Jeff

Bob Hobden[_6_] 14-06-2020 04:38 PM

Poor roses this year

On 14 Jun 2020 09:39, Broadback wrote:
Residing in the low ground of North Staffordshire i have a variety of
roses, usually they give a good show, but not this year. The buds are
meagre, then they do not open well. Is it my bad lucj]k or is it more
general?

Considering it a good year for roses here in N.Surrey. Maybe they need
a good handfull of manure or Growmore around the roots.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

philgurr 14-06-2020 10:27 PM

Poor roses this year

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message ...
On 14 Jun 2020 09:39, Broadback wrote:
Residing in the low ground of North Staffordshire i have a variety of
roses, usually they give a good show, but not this year. The buds are
meagre, then they do not open well. Is it my bad lucj]k or is it more
general?

Considering it a good year for roses here in N.Surrey. Maybe they need
a good handfull of manure or Growmore around the roots.

All my roses are old english type both climbers and bush. Here in the North
of Scotland they are just coming into full bloom and giving a magnificient
display, best for years.

Phil
40 miles N. of Inverness

---
https://www.avg.com

Charlie Pridham[_2_] 15-06-2020 08:20 AM

Poor roses this year

On 14/06/2020 09:39, Broadback wrote:
Residing in the low ground of North Staffordshire i have a variety of
roses, usually they give a good show, but not this year. The buds are
meagre, then they do not open well. Is it my bad lucj]k or is it more
general?

Sorry to say this is probably the best year we have ever had for roses!
we grow mostly rambler types.

--
Charlie Pridham
Gardening in Cornwall

MuddyMike 15-06-2020 03:41 PM

Poor roses this year

On 14/06/2020 09:39, Broadback wrote:
Residing in the low ground of North Staffordshire i have a variety of
roses, usually they give a good show, but not this year. The buds are
meagre, then they do not open well. Is it my bad lucj]k or is it more
general?

My son and DIL have the most magnificent rose display. Amazing really as
they do nothing in the garden other than occasionally cut the grass!

Mike

David Rance[_3_] 15-06-2020 03:49 PM

Poor roses this year

On Sun, 14 Jun 2020 11:10:26 Broadback wrote:

On 14/06/2020 09:45, David Rance wrote:
On Sun, 14 Jun 2020 09:39:46 Broadback wrote:

Residing in the low ground of North Staffordshire i have a variety
of roses, usually they give a good show, but not this year. The buds
meagre, then they do not open well. Is it my bad lucj]k or is it more
general?

No problem here in Berkshire. I have an unusually good show of
blooms.
David

Oh David, you have just depressed me! ;-)

Sorry! Maybe it's a north/south thing. I've just seen a reply from Jim
S. who's further north than you.

David