Old 14-06-2020, 02:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Regrowing shop bought celery from base - anyone managed it?

I've seen a few "lock down fun" ideas including re-growing vegetables from
the remains.

I've just started with a bunch of celery where I've cut off all the stalks
leaving just two inches of base, and a few small shoots in the middle.

It is sitting in a bowl of water which is refreshed daily.

Allegedly after about 8 days it should have put out some roots and the
centre should be obviously growing.

At which point it should be potted up or planted out.

All good fun, but has anyone managed this?

The next issue (should it grow) will eventually be blanching it.
Again allegedly blanching reduces bitterness but not all green celery is
bitter.
However this variety (whatever it is) was blanched when bought from the
shop.

Cheers

Dave R

Old 26-06-2020, 03:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 14 Jun 2020 12:17:24 +0000, David wrote:

I've seen a few "lock down fun" ideas including re-growing vegetables
from the remains.

I've just started with a bunch of celery where I've cut off all the
stalks leaving just two inches of base, and a few small shoots in the
middle.

It is sitting in a bowl of water which is refreshed daily.

Allegedly after about 8 days it should have put out some roots and the
centre should be obviously growing.

At which point it should be potted up or planted out.

All good fun, but has anyone managed this?

The next issue (should it grow) will eventually be blanching it.
Again allegedly blanching reduces bitterness but not all green celery is
bitter.
However this variety (whatever it is) was blanched when bought from the
shop.

Well, it seems to be working, if slowly.
12 days in now.

I now still have a healthy cluster of small shoots in the centre and a
lone root growing out from the base.

So potentially some new celery in a few months.

However I can't help feeling that it would be quicker just to grow celery
from seed. :-)

Cheers

Dave R

Old 04-07-2020, 05:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 26 Jun 2020 13:45:27 +0000, David wrote:

[...]

There is now a decent show of roots so I will soon try and transplant to a
long term growing location.

This is purely for fun, given the price of celery in the shops at the
moment.

Cheers

Dave R

Old 07-07-2020, 08:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

David wrote:
There is now a decent show of roots so I will soon try and
transplant to along term growing location.

This is purely for fun, given the price of celery in the
shops at the moment.

I'm trying this with a lettuce, and it's managing to regrow
from the base even though I'd eaten *all* the leaves, all
the roots had been chopped off before sale, and after lurking
a week or so in the fridge.

#Paul