Old 22-06-2020, 10:57 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Supports for Hydrangeas.

Can anyone recommend the best type of support for my Hydrangeas.

I've scoured the net and not sure which are the best types to use.

Thanks.
--
I'm a sew and sow!
Old 22-06-2020, 01:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 22/06/2020 11:07, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Mon, 22 Jun 2020 09:57:54 +0100, Primrose wrote:

Can anyone recommend the best type of support for my Hydrangeas.

I've scoured the net and not sure which are the best types to use.

Thanks.

I'm surprised they need supporting. Most hydrangeas are sufficiently
stiff-stemmed not to need it. You don't say how big they are. 2ft?
6ft? Are they in a windy spot? Do they need water (unlikely, after the
recent wet weather)? I don't speak from experience, but I think if
they were mine, and assuming they were just flopping down because the
flower-heads were too heavy for the stems to support them, I'd wrap
the whole bush once around with some wide-mesh pea-netting, something
like this https://tinyurl.com/y9ktd9c4 and not too visible to the
naked eye, possibly with four or five bamboo stakes driven in around
the perimeter for additional support. Alternatively, Monty on GW uses
semi-circular steel supports (arcs) for holding up perennials, like
these https://tinyurl.com/yafbbvwz. They may be OK for your
hydrangeas.

Thanks for your reply, it's my fault for pruning the Annabelle too hard,
the new growth is not strong enough to support the flowers and when it
rains down they droop. The other Hydrangea is fine, I didn't cut a lot
off of that one.

I think I may try the arc supports.

--
I'm a sew and sow!