Old 22-06-2020, 01:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Boots to wear when using strimmer - recommendations?

The old motorcycle boots I usually wear when using the strimmer are
beginning to finally disintegrate so I'm looking for something to
replace them.

What do others use?

I don't like wellies because they're hot and don't work particularly
well because you can't get your trousers over them easily to prevent
stuff dropping into them.

The ex-motorcycle boots were good because they were easy to get on
with zip fastening and had big velcro flaps to pull them tight around
my calves so that trousers go over the top easily.

Motorcycle boots seem to have moved on and there doesn't seem to be
anything similar in that line now.

Can anyone recommend anything suitable, other than wellies? (oh, and
not costing an arm and a leg)

--
Chris Green
·
Old 23-06-2020, 01:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 22/06/2020 12:36, Chris Green wrote:

Motorcycle boots seem to have moved on and there doesn't seem to be
anything similar in that line now.

Can anyone recommend anything suitable, other than wellies? (oh, and
not costing an arm and a leg)

Steel toecap safety shoes from Screwfix or Toolstation for around £18 to
£20 for the less fashionable lace up shoes (rather than "fashion" trainers)

https://www.screwfix.com/c/safety-wo...=steel_toe_cap

Old 23-06-2020, 01:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

alan_m wrote:
On 22/06/2020 12:36, Chris Green wrote:

Motorcycle boots seem to have moved on and there doesn't seem to be
anything similar in that line now.

Can anyone recommend anything suitable, other than wellies? (oh, and
not costing an arm and a leg)

Steel toecap safety shoes from Screwfix or Toolstation for around £18 to
£20 for the less fashionable lace up shoes (rather than "fashion" trainers)

https://www.screwfix.com/c/safety-wo...=steel_toe_cap

I've looked at those (and similar from CPC), they offer no protection
for the calves, for use with a strimmer something covering a fair way
up your leg is much more important IMHO than steel toe caps. Steel
toe caps may be more important if using a brush cutter with a metal
blade but with a nylon line strimmer you're not going to get through
basically solid boots.

--
Chris Green
·
Old 23-06-2020, 01:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

alan_m wrote:
On 22/06/2020 12:36, Chris Green wrote:

Motorcycle boots seem to have moved on and there doesn't seem to be
anything similar in that line now.

Can anyone recommend anything suitable, other than wellies? (oh, and
not costing an arm and a leg)

Steel toecap safety shoes from Screwfix or Toolstation for around £18 to
£20 for the less fashionable lace up shoes (rather than "fashion" trainers)

https://www.screwfix.com/c/safety-wo...=steel_toe_cap

OP here with a second response, I've looked at the Screwfix ones above
and very few even protect your shins, let alone further up your legs.

The damage you get with a strimmer is debris and twigs hitting you
mid-calf in my experience, in addition you need a way to prevent
'bits' (as in stinging nettle leaves and chunks of bramble) dropping
into the boots that are protecting your legs. Hence my original
request for 'velcro flaps' to pull the boot tight around the lower
leg.

--
Chris Green
·
Old 23-06-2020, 02:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 23/06/2020 12:58, Chris Green wrote:
OP here with a second response, I've looked at the Screwfix ones above
and very few even protect your shins, let alone further up your legs.

The damage you get with a strimmer is debris and twigs hitting you
mid-calf in my experience, in addition you need a way to prevent
'bits' (as in stinging nettle leaves and chunks of bramble) dropping
into the boots that are protecting your legs. Hence my original
request for 'velcro flaps' to pull the boot tight around the lower
leg.

I wonder if Brushing Boots (sold for horses' wear) would suit your
purpose. The ones at

https://www.equus.co.uk/products/bus...0aAhPsEALw_wcB

(or https://tinyurl.com/y7bdumnm takes you to the same place)

are very expensive, but that page has a particularly good illustration.

--
Jenny M Benson
Wrexham, UK

Old 23-06-2020, 03:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Chris Green wrote:

OP here with a second response, I've looked at the Screwfix ones above
and very few even protect your shins, let alone further up your legs.

I would strongly recommend wearing safety boots rather than shoes,
because things falling on your instep is common, but few come up much
above the ankle. Rigger boots do, but they seem to have tops that
could be designed to collect debris.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 23-06-2020, 06:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article , Chris Green wrote:

OP here with a second response, I've looked at the Screwfix ones above
and very few even protect your shins, let alone further up your legs.

I would strongly recommend wearing safety boots rather than shoes,
because things falling on your instep is common, but few come up much
above the ankle. Rigger boots do, but they seem to have tops that
could be designed to collect debris.

But 'safety boots' don't protect the instep do they? Certainly the
pair I have are just steel *toe-capped*, if something heavy fell on my
instep they'd make little difference.

Anyway I after something specifically for strimming and I can't really
think of anything heavy enough to do any damage falling on my instep
(or toe) while strimmimg. I have steel toe-capped safety boots for
when they're appropriate but they are no use at all for protection
while strimming/

Rigger boots seem more like what I want but, as you say, they have
rather flappy open tops.

My old motorcycle boots were perfect, good solid boots protecting all
the way up to just below the knee, easy to get on, not hot like
wellies and velcro to pull them tight around your legs. Maybe I'd
better simply look for some similar motorcycle boots though that style
seems rarer nowadays.

Does no one else wear boots that cover more than just their feet when
strimming? ... or are wellies universal?

--
Chris Green
·

Old 24-06-2020, 10:06 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

alan_m wrote:
On 23/06/2020 12:58, Chris Green wrote:

The damage you get with a strimmer is debris and twigs hitting you
mid-calf in my experience, in addition you need a way to prevent
'bits' (as in stinging nettle leaves and chunks of bramble) dropping
into the boots that are protecting your legs. Hence my original
request for 'velcro flaps' to pull the boot tight around the lower
leg.

Army gaiters?

Yes, for long term use they might make sense but a bit of a faff if
you just want to pick up the strimmer and clear the edge of the patio
(for example). That's why my old motorcycle boots are so handy, slip
them on quickly (which is easy) and away you go.

--
Chris Green
·
Old 24-06-2020, 11:40 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Chris Green wrote:

But 'safety boots' don't protect the instep do they? Certainly the
pair I have are just steel *toe-capped*, if something heavy fell on my
instep they'd make little difference.

They would not protect against bone breakage if you dropped a paving
slab on them, but they would protect against lesser damage.

Anyway I after something specifically for strimming and I can't really
think of anything heavy enough to do any damage falling on my instep
(or toe) while strimmimg. I have steel toe-capped safety boots for
when they're appropriate but they are no use at all for protection
while strimming/

Right. I made that remark because someone advised safety SHOES; I
said that BOOTS were much better for that purpose. I recognise your
problem, and can't think of anything that fits the bill and is likely
to be cheap. The thing that sprag to my mind was (horse-)riding boots,
but they aren't ideal for working in and aren't cheap.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 24-06-2020, 07:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 23/06/2020 17:51, Chris Green wrote:

But 'safety boots' don't protect the instep do they? Certainly the
pair I have are just steel *toe-capped*, if something heavy fell on my
instep they'd make little difference.

They often have a metal sole plate that help if stepping on something
with upward facing nails etc.

Old 24-06-2020, 07:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 22 Jun 2020 12:36, Chris Green wrote:
The old motorcycle boots I usually wear when using the strimmer are
beginning to finally disintegrate so I'm looking for something to
replace them.

What do others use?

I don't like wellies because they're hot and don't work particularly
well because you can't get your trousers over them easily to prevent
stuff dropping into them.

The ex-motorcycle boots were good because they were easy to get on
with zip fastening and had big velcro flaps to pull them tight around
my calves so that trousers go over the top easily.

Motorcycle boots seem to have moved on and there doesn't seem to be
anything similar in that line now.

Can anyone recommend anything suitable, other than wellies? (oh, and
not costing an arm and a leg)

These any good?
https://www.engelbert-strauss.co.uk/...0-86391-1.html
--
Regards
Bob Hobden
Old 24-06-2020, 10:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 24/06/2020 09:06, Chris Green wrote:
alan_m wrote:
On 23/06/2020 12:58, Chris Green wrote:

The damage you get with a strimmer is debris and twigs hitting you
mid-calf in my experience, in addition you need a way to prevent
'bits' (as in stinging nettle leaves and chunks of bramble) dropping
into the boots that are protecting your legs. Hence my original
request for 'velcro flaps' to pull the boot tight around the lower
leg.

Army gaiters?

Yes, for long term use they might make sense but a bit of a faff if
you just want to pick up the strimmer and clear the edge of the patio
(for example). That's why my old motorcycle boots are so handy, slip
them on quickly (which is easy) and away you go.

I do wonder if you are worried about nettles brambles and twigs when you
are clearing the edge of your Patio.
I just wear wellies with trousers tucked in and just pulled up a little
so they bunch at the top of the wellies.
Otherwise you culd use cloth fastened around the top of your boots
Old 24-06-2020, 10:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

alan_m wrote:
On 23/06/2020 17:51, Chris Green wrote:

But 'safety boots' don't protect the instep do they? Certainly the
pair I have are just steel *toe-capped*, if something heavy fell on my
instep they'd make little difference.

They often have a metal sole plate that help if stepping on something
with upward facing nails etc.

Yes, I realised after I said it that 'instep' can mean both the top
and the bottom of one's foot. 'Safety shoes' (or boots) don't, as far
as I am aware, add any particular protection to the top of one's
instep but they often do protect the underside with steel plates or
whatever.

Anyway it doesn't help me much! :-)

--
Chris Green
·
Old 24-06-2020, 10:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Bob Hobden wrote:
[...]

That's something like it, thank you. Fairly pricey but I suppose not
too bad and the zip fastening is the sort of thing I'm after.

--
Chris Green
·