#1   Report Post  
Old 26-06-2020, 01:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Sep 2008
Posts: 2,156
Default Plant IDs

It's a BOGOF offer this week!

The first one is a self seed which first appeared several weeks ago. It
is now about 80 cm high and is forming flower buds.
https://ibb.co/5k5WbPD
A Google reverse image search didn't help as it seemed to focus on
Cotinus coggygria!

The second one I bought this morning. It intrigued me as I couldn't
identify it straight off; I thought it might be Lamiaceae, but the
leaves when crushed are almost odourless. This small shrub is about 40
cm wide and 15 cm high, although it might have been trimmed. The flowers
are around 12 mm long, and the leaves are about 7 mm long, and quite
thick. The whole plant, perhaps with the exception of the petals, has
small, thick hairs. As far as I can tell, there are four stamens and the
ovary is superior, but these flowers are very small and difficult to
dissect. I'll be pleased if it proves to be hardy, but those leaves
suggest otherwise..
https://ibb.co/PZfd8DP
https://ibb.co/0Dtk0vF

--

Jeff

  #2   Report Post  
Old 26-06-2020, 02:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Oct 2015
Posts: 590
Default Plant IDs

In article ,
Jeff Layman wrote:

The first one is a self seed which first appeared several weeks ago. It
is now about 80 cm high and is forming flower buds.
https://ibb.co/5k5WbPD
A Google reverse image search didn't help as it seemed to focus on
Cotinus coggygria!


Try orache (Atriplex).


Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
  #3   Report Post  
Old 26-06-2020, 03:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,810
Default Plant IDs

On 26/06/2020 13:27, Jeff Layman wrote:
It's a BOGOF offer this week!

The first one is a self seed which first appeared several weeks ago. It
is now about 80 cm high and is forming flower buds.
https://ibb.co/5k5WbPD
A Google reverse image search didn't help as it seemed to focus on
Cotinus coggygria!


Atriplex hortensis

The second one I bought this morning. It intrigued me as I couldn't
identify it straight off; I thought it might be Lamiaceae, but the
leaves when crushed are almost odourless. This small shrub is about 40
cm wide and 15 cm high, although it might have been trimmed. The flowers
are around 12 mm long, and the leaves are about 7 mm long, and quite
thick. The whole plant, perhaps with the exception of the petals, has
small, thick hairs. As far as I can tell, there are four stamens and the
ovary is superior, but these flowers are very small and difficult to
dissect. I'll be pleased if it proves to be hardy, but those leaves
suggest otherwise..
https://ibb.co/PZfd8DP
https://ibb.co/0Dtk0vF


My working hypothesis is Prostanthera rotundifolia.

--
SRH
  #4   Report Post  
Old 26-06-2020, 03:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Sep 2008
Posts: 2,156
Default Plant IDs

On 26/06/20 14:30, Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article ,
Jeff Layman wrote:

The first one is a self seed which first appeared several weeks ago. It
is now about 80 cm high and is forming flower buds.
https://ibb.co/5k5WbPD
A Google reverse image search didn't help as it seemed to focus on
Cotinus coggygria!


Try orache (Atriplex).


Thanks to you (and SRH). For some reason I had Chenopodiaceae in my
mind, but when I looked that up was daunted by the number of options
available. I see that would not now have born fruit, as it has now been
moved to Amaranthaceae.

--

Jeff
  #5   Report Post  
Old 26-06-2020, 03:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Sep 2008
Posts: 2,156
Default Plant IDs

On 26/06/20 15:00, Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:
On 26/06/2020 13:27, Jeff Layman wrote:
It's a BOGOF offer this week!

The first one is a self seed which first appeared several weeks ago. It
is now about 80 cm high and is forming flower buds.
https://ibb.co/5k5WbPD
A Google reverse image search didn't help as it seemed to focus on
Cotinus coggygria!


Atriplex hortensis

The second one I bought this morning. It intrigued me as I couldn't
identify it straight off; I thought it might be Lamiaceae, but the
leaves when crushed are almost odourless. This small shrub is about 40
cm wide and 15 cm high, although it might have been trimmed. The flowers
are around 12 mm long, and the leaves are about 7 mm long, and quite
thick. The whole plant, perhaps with the exception of the petals, has
small, thick hairs. As far as I can tell, there are four stamens and the
ovary is superior, but these flowers are very small and difficult to
dissect. I'll be pleased if it proves to be hardy, but those leaves
suggest otherwise..
https://ibb.co/PZfd8DP
https://ibb.co/0Dtk0vF


My working hypothesis is Prostanthera rotundifolia.


I don't think it's rotundifolia, but you might well be on the right
track with Prostanthera. I grow /P. cuneata/, and have considered
growing other species. /P. rotundifolia/ has rounder, much flatter
leaves. One big problem is that being one of the "mint bushes", it
should have aromatic leaves (but not all do). My plant doesn't have much
of a smell at all. It might be nearer to /P. incana/, which is said to
be only slightly aromatic.

If it is a Prostanthera, I think I can probably say goodbye to it being
hardy. :-(

--

Jeff


Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Plant IDs - please janka Plant Science 6 27-01-2007 04:58 PM
Two plant IDs please Sacha United Kingdom 6 19-11-2006 11:50 PM
Plant IDs please - worrisit ? adm United Kingdom 37 07-06-2006 05:12 PM
Tropical Plant IDs James Gardening 8 13-05-2004 02:02 PM
websites for plant photos / ids Niall Smyth United Kingdom 4 23-09-2003 02:29 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:51 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2021 GardenBanter.co.uk.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about Gardening"

 

Copyright © 2017